The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting off campaign/adventure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Starting off campaign/adventure Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Theodrim wrote:
Basically, Event Horizon had just come out and the GM adapted the story to Star Wars, with a touch of Alien and Predator in there for good measure.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly this as I was reading your post.

Although I read the TvTropes page on it and thus know what happens in it, I never did see Event Horizon. I suppose I should remedy that at some point.

Event Horizon is basically Hellraiser in Space. It's pretty damn good.

Also, that sounds like an awesome gaming session (or however many it took to complete). Seems like something best completed in one sitting, though.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
Also, that sounds like an awesome gaming session (or however many it took to complete). Seems like something best completed in one sitting, though.

Sorry for the month-late response, but it was very good. Though, even accounting for the Hyperspace entity, what always stood out to me as the most disturbing part of the game, was the fact the ship had been lost and stranded in Hyperspace for thousands of years, but to the ship and what remained of its crew only a matter of minutes or hours had passed. It was a chilling reminder of how much Hyperspace travel is taken for granted, in-universe as a means of conveyance and out-of-universe as a plot device, and how even a malfunction of a oft-forgotten secondary system (relativistic shielding) could have massive, even catastrophic, implications on a ship or its crew.

In the game I ended just a month ago, I debated the idea of toying with it myself by having one game session where the PC's ship took a hit that disabled their navcomp right as they jumped into Hyperspace. It wasn't going to displace them in time, but it was going to dump them clear across the galaxy in the Unknown Regions. They were going to crash land on an undiscovered world with a pre-Hyperspace civilization comparable in tech and political level to our real-life world, and inadvertently draw the Empire (courtesy of Thrawn) to them by the ship's distress beacons. The game was going to have shades of the "Little Green Men" episode of DS9 and a couple other "Prime Directive" ST episodes, with a little bit of Independence Day, Day the Earth Stood Still, and This Island Earth thrown in for good measure.

But going the "time travel" route would be just as good for Star Wars. Imagine if a ship-full of OG, hardcore, pre-Bane Sith from the Old Republic era got yanked out of time into the Rebellion era. They would they react to the Empire, and how would the Empire react to them? What if a Hyperdrive malfunction allowed some Clone Wars-era Jedi to escape the Jedi purge? How would Old Republic Mandos react to the subjugation of the Mandalorians during the Empire? What if an Old Republic Jedi Master ended up thrown forward in time and found themselves in contention with Luke's New Jedi Order?

[Actually, I think a Dark Side campaign with the PC's being Old Republic Sith, who got thrown forward in time to the Rebellion era due to a Hyperspace incident, could be ridiculously fun. It'd be fertile ground for Dark Siders to actually join the Rebellion, for their own reasons, waging war against the Empire to restore the Sith to their "true" power and glory.]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: