The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Reverse-Stating Starships with D6 Space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Reverse-Stating Starships with D6 Space.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reverse-Stating Starships with D6 Space. Reply with quote

Has anyone attempted to reverse stat known SWU ships using the ship design rules from D6 Space? It's something that just occured to me on the road, and I haven't had a chance to browse D6 Space Ships yet. Anyone already ahead of me on this?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me, but the ship design system in D6 Space is really clunky. It might be a little better if you were working from the worksheet provided in the book, but just reading through gave me a bit of a headache.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, upon further review... each ship has a 5 page worksheet to build it. I know that for the most part, you'd be just copying the stats and then figuring out how to do it within the system, but I'm wondering to what end? Why re-work everything through D6 Space?

Although, a cool thing that could be added for Fighters with Hyperdrive are the additions of turning the cockpit into a Cryo-Stasis pod for the pilot to be able to go into suspended animation for the duration of long distance trips. Except that it doesn't really feel very "Star Wars".
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason I asked is that a weakness of the Tramp Freighters ship modification system is that it does not take into account the base mass of the ship when installing a new drive. The D6 Space system includes that factor in a ship's design (IIRC), which would allow ship designers to factor in relative mass and drive strength when calculating changes in performance when a new drive is installed.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to male a formula whereby the drive's base speed is divided by the ship's mass "code" (you would ha e to assign a mass code to each ship, or at least each type of ship).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The main reason I asked is that a weakness of the Tramp Freighters ship modification system is that it does not take into account the base mass of the ship when installing a new drive. The D6 Space system includes that factor in a ship's design (IIRC), which would allow ship designers to factor in relative mass and drive strength when calculating changes in performance when a new drive is installed.

One problem with using D6 Space's system is that you can have 2 ships that are of similar configurations with vastly different mass ratings.

2 Example Strike fighters (1 man starfighters) One has Tonnage at 84 and the other at 245.

Plus, tonnage increases with faster drives, but doesn't take the ship's tonnage into account when determining speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: