The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Tusken Raiders covered in any of those table top Star Wars books, like Compete Aliens or Incredible Cross-Sections?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure: yes, the Tuskens have mechanical gear, to be sure. But none of that gear is electronic. That's the point I'm trying to make.

As to your question about Tuskens being covered in one of the D6 books, I'm looking that up now. Stay tuned.

EDIT: There's at least one entry on them in Alien Encounters on p. 129. there's no page reference on the Sand People in any of the Galaxy Guides according to that index. Checking other relevant books now.

Last edited by Sutehp on Tue May 30, 2017 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Are the Tusken Raiders covered in any of those table top Star Wars books, like Compete Aliens or Incredible Cross-Sections?

While some do have them listed for 'stats' there is nothing really giving more explanation on them society/culture wise..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

While some do have them listed for 'stats' there is nothing really giving more explanation on them society/culture wise..

Yeah, I just ran through Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisly and it just has a few paragraphs on the Tuskens in the general history section as well as a small sized sidebar.

EDIT: So far, three sources on Tuskens: Alien Encounters, p. 129, GG1: A New Hope, pp. 12-13 and GG7: Mos Eisly, pp. 5-6.

Checking further.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not talking about WEG D6 books. I'm talking about those books from DK that cut open everything and show you how everything works. I know that stormtrooper helmets and Darth Vader's helmet has been done. What about a Tusken Raider?

As for mechanical/electronic, we don't know. First, the ANH novelization is not a good source in that there are a lot of inconsistencies. I just read the book and documented the inconsistencies I caught on a thread in another forum.

But, if you just look at the pic, you can't rule out electronic along with mechanical.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
No, I'm not talking about WEG D6 books. I'm talking about those books from DK that cut open everything and show you how everything works. I know that stormtrooper helmets and Darth Vader's helmet has been done. What about a Tusken Raider?

Oh you mean the Visual Guides? For a second, when you said DK books, I thought you meant the kids pop-up books, lol. But to answer your question, I don't recall any sort of cutaway diagrams depicting Tuskens or their clothes. But then again, I don't own any of the Visual Guides.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
As for mechanical/electronic, we don't know. First, the ANH novelization is not a good source in that there are a lot of inconsistencies. I just read the book and documented the inconsistencies I caught on a thread in another forum.

But, if you just look at the pic, you can't rule out electronic along with mechanical.

Sure we can. In any of the depictions of the Sand People, do you ever, even once, see anything they use that could be called an electronic device? Do you ever see anything that uses electricity? Their axes/gaffi sticks are made out of scrap metal. That likely means they can't even smelt metal!

Their breathing filters on their masks don't need electricity to function as that sort of real life tech has been around for two centuries in real life and never needed electricity to function. And if they did have some sort of electronic tech, how would the Tuskens power them? Their camps look like something out of the biblical era. In AotC, when Anakin infiltrated their camp to rescue his mother, did you see anything even remotely resembling a recharge unit or generator? I saw nothing but hovels and campfires. Can you name even one instance of Tuskens using electricity, Wajeb? Without that, you can't say that the Tuskens have or use electronic devices, by definition.

Just because something looks "futuristic" doesn't mean it actually uses electricity, Wajeb.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, he did say "can't rule out" rather than making a definitive claim that there were electronic components.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be convinced either way that electricity is used. It is surely mechanical, though. I'm not sure why electrical mechanical components are such a non-believable step.

The idea I got from the book was that technology was so old that even the barbarians used some of it.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I could be convinced either way that electricity is used. It is surely mechanical, though. I'm not sure why electrical mechanical components are such a non-believable step.

The idea I got from the book was that technology was so old that even the barbarians used some of it.

I dunno, insisting that Tuskens are technologically advanced enough to use electricity makes me conjure up the image of a Tusken Raider, leather wrappings and all, in one of those 19th century laboratories flipping one of those big electrical wall switches with a Jawa corpse strapped to the operating table that suddenly arises and takes on an eeire semblance of life while the mad Tusken scientist yells out "It's Alive!" repeatedly only for it to come out as:
"HOOOOOOOOONK! HONK! HONK! HONK!

Needless to say, that's not exactly a canon description of the Tusken Raiders. Razz

And whoever heard of zombie Jawas? Shocked

Han Solo wrote:
And I thought they smelled bad when they were still alive.

C'mon, you know Han Solo would say something snarky like that if he ever came an undead Jawa. Razz
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching Mark Hamill on youtube, and what he said about his reaction when he read the script for The Last Jedi raised my eyebrow. I know that Mark is very pro-Luke being the main hero of the original trilogy, the embodiment of all that is RIGHT and JUST in the universe.

Mark said that he didn't anticipate, at all, the direction of his character in the new film.

That coupled with the comments here and there that this film will be dark, like the middle film is supposed to be, has made me think that Luke is going to go a very different route that any of us anticipate--that we'll see a Luke Skywalker that we've never seen before.

Remember, in the trailer, Luke says, "I only know one truth. It's time for the Jedi to end."
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious to see what happens with Luke in TLJ as well. All of us are wondering just what the hell he meant when he said "the Jedi must end." Considering that he also says to Rey that "[the Force] is so much bigger" than just the Light and Dark, his new ideas about the nature of the Force might just mean that the Jedi have to end their narrow thinking and adapt to a new understanding of the Force, as opposed to ending the existence of the Jedi entirely.

I guess we'll see.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've already been seeing picks of that 160 KM Long and 300KM wide 'first order capital city ship thing.. And am Dumbfounded with the illogic in how such a thing was created..

300km?! I hadn't seen this thing but I was so sure that wasn't true that I had to look into it. It's not - You greatly exaggerate the size. The longest dimension of Snoke's command ship is 60km. And it is much less massive and relatively more logical than even the original Death Star, so with this film we seem to be back down into the pre-Disney scale of epic.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/01/star-wars-the-last-jedi-snokes-ship-the-supremacy-revealed

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Supremacy

Solo4114 wrote:
A space wizard did it.

Indeed! Very Happy
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first thought...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I've already been seeing picks of that 160 KM Long and 300KM wide 'first order capital city ship thing.. And am Dumbfounded with the illogic in how such a thing was created..

300km?! I hadn't seen this thing but I was so sure that wasn't true that I had to look into it. It's not - You greatly exaggerate the size.

I was basing that on some one else on CBT.com saying that the 'length' was 160k.. So it's wingspan would be on the line of 300km..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

300km?! I hadn't seen this thing but I was so sure that wasn't true that I had to look into it. It's not - You greatly exaggerate the size.

I was basing that on some one else on CBT.com saying that the 'length' was 160k.. So it's wingspan would be on the line of 300km..

Some one else was way off on the length. The wingspan is 60km so the fore-to-aft length would be a good amount less.

CRMcNeill wrote:
This was my first thought...

Shocked
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: