The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Complete Sabacc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> The Complete Sabacc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Sabacc already has tarot associations as early as the Lando Calrissian Adventures (which were written in the 80s!), and my gaming group is fond of using the tarot in our other games, we adapted it to Star Wars and filled it out a bit, since our Jedi likes to use it as a focus when she's doing precognitive stuff, performing readings for people that, thanks to the Force, have validity. Sometimes, when I feel like it, I'll draw completely random cards, have her interpret them, and then the adventure that follows will be inspired by that reading.

Since it's already canon that there are several variants of Sabacc decks in the setting (the Centran version differing from others, for instance), it strikes me that it would be perfectly valid to introduce this as another variant - perhaps the one practiced by the Ryn.

So, fun fact - while putting this together, we made some educated guesses. Queen of Air and Darkness was the High Priestess, Balance was Justice, Endurance was Strength - and then we looked at the point value for them. Sure enough, Queen of Air and Darkness was -2, the Star was -17, Endurance was -8, confirming that the original creator of the values of the known in-game Face Cards was being very cheeky and deliberate about the numbering, matching them to those very same tarot analogues. (I'm looking at you, L. Neil Smith in 1983's Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu.)

The format is: Sabacc Card - Tarot Card (Point Value)

Suits: Coins (Coins/Rings/Pentacles), Flasks (Cups), Sabres (Swords), Staves (Staves/Wands/Rods)

Numbered cards 2 to 10 map directly to 2-10 of their respective suit in the deck and are valued similarly.

11 - Page (11)

Commander - Knight (12)

Mistress - Queen (13)

Master - King (14)

Ace - Ace (1)

Idiot - Fool (0)

King of Water and Light - Magician (-1)

Queen of Air and Darkness - High Priestess (-2)

The Mother - The Empress (-3)

The Father - The Emperor (-4)

Order - The Hierophant (-5)

The Lovers - The Lovers (-6)

The Starship - The Chariot (-7)

Endurance - Strength (-8)

Satellite - The Hermit (-9)

The Wheel - Wheel of Fortune (-10)

Balance - Justice (-11)

Hazard - Hanged Man (-12)

Demise - Death (-13)

Moderation - Temperance (-14)

The Evil One - The Devil (-15)

The Destroyed Starship - The Tower (-16)

The Star - The Star (-17)

Darkness - The Moon (-18)

Daylight - The Sun (-19)

The Answer - Judgement (-20)

The Universe - The World (-21)

Last edited by Jachra on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
Sabacc already has tarot associations as early as the Lando Calrissian Adventures (which were written in the 80s!), and my gaming group is fond of using the tarot in our other games, we adapted it to Star Wars and filled it out a bit, since our Jedi likes to use it as a focus when she's doing precognitive stuff, performing readings for people that, thanks to the Force, have validity. Sometimes, when I feel like it, I'll draw completely random cards, have her interpret them, and then the adventure that follows will be inspired by that reading.

Since it's already canon that there are several variants of Sabacc decks in the setting (the Centran version differing from others, for instance), it strikes me that it would be perfectly valid to introduce this as another variant - perhaps the one practiced by the Ryn.

So, fun fact - while putting this together, we made some educated guesses. Queen of Air and Darkness was the High Priestess, Balance was Justice, Endurance was Strength - and then we looked at the point value for them. Sure enough, Queen of Air and Darkness was -2, the Star was -17, Endurance was -8, confirming that the original creator of the values of the known in-game Face Cards was being very cheeky and deliberate about the numbering, matching them to those very same tarot analogues. (I'm looking at you, L. Neil Smith in 1983's Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu.)

The format is: Sabacc Card - Tarot Card (Point Value)

Suits: Coins (Coins/Rings/Pentacles), Flasks (Cups), Sabres (Swords), Staves (Staves/Wands/Rods)

Numbered cards 2 to 10 map directly to 2-10 of their respective suit in the deck and are valued similarly.

11 - Page (11)

Commander - Knight (12)

Mistress - Queen (13)

Master - King (14)

Ace - Ace (1)

Idiot - Fool (0)

King of Water and Light - Magician (-1)

Queen of Air and Darkness - High Priestess (-2)

The Mother - The Empress (-3)

The Father - The Emperor (-4)

Order - The Hierophant (-5)

The Lovers - The Lovers (-6)

The Starship - The Chariot (-7)

Endurance - Strength (-8)

Satellite - The Hermit (-9)

The Wheel - Wheel of Fortune (-10)

Balance - Justice (-11)

Hazard - Hanged Man (-12)

Demise - Death (-13)

Moderation - Temperance (-14)

The Evil One - The Devil (-15)

The Destroyed Starship - The Tower (-16)

The Star - The Star (-17)

Darkness - The Moon (-18)

Daylight - The Sun (-19)

The Answer - Judgement (-20)

The Universe - The World (-21)

This is genius! Thanks for sharing. May I ask which Tarot deck you use?

I've entertained the notion to do something with Tarot, but not Sabacc-related. There is one planet of my creation in particular where it would be extremely appropriate to have fortune tellers. My deck is The Mythic Tarot which is based on Greek Mythology, so I just wasn't sure how to starwarsify it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I've entertained the notion to do something with Tarot, but not Sabacc-related. There is one planet of my creation in particular where it would be extremely appropriate to have fortune tellers. My deck is The Mythic Tarot which is based on Greek Mythology, so I just wasn't sure how to starwarsify it.

I probably should have mentioned beforehand!

I prefer the Rider-Waite Deck, and in fact have a custom art set - not the Star Wars variant listed here (though if I had the money spare you bet I would), but it makes things interesting.

It's become a staple for the main Sensitive character.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
Whill wrote:

I probably should have mentioned beforehand!

I prefer the Rider-Waite Deck, and in fact have a custom art set - not the Star Wars variant listed here (though if I had the money spare you bet I would), but it makes things interesting.

It's become a staple for the main Sensitive character.

I've been meaning to pick up a Rider-Waite deck just because that is the standard most of the Tarot books deal with. What's your custom art like?

I didn't think you had a Star Wars Tarot deck or such a thing existed, but let me be sure. Do you mean if you had the money you would make/commission a Star Wars Sabacc Tarot deck? That would be awesome!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

I've been meaning to pick up a Rider-Waite deck just because that is the standard most of the Tarot books deal with. What's your custom art like?

I didn't think you had a Star Wars Tarot deck or such a thing existed, but let me be sure. Do you mean if you had the money you would make/commission a Star Wars Sabacc Tarot deck? That would be awesome!

It's sort of an enhanced classic deck, with a better artist than the original.

And I totally would!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
Whill wrote:
What's your custom art like?

And I totally would!

Hey, if you want to make a Kickstarter project for it, I'd chip in to that. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Complete Sabacc Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Jachra wrote:
Whill wrote:
What's your custom art like?

And I totally would!

Hey, if you want to make a Kickstarter project for it, I'd chip in to that. 8)

Hah! Sadly I'd need, like, initial art.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.swagonline.net/blog/dredwulf60/personal-sabacc-deck-standard-version

http://www.swagonline.net/blog/dredwulf60/standard-sabacc-deck-contd
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah - a real tarot/Sabacc deck would need fully professional art. It should be something you pull out of your bag in its own little case that makes everyone sit up and notice.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's there if you want it. It's free. Don't need to use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: