The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Perception based 'soaking"..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Perception based 'soaking".. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In my game Willpower is a Perception skill, so I could see Willpower for this.

Absolutely. The main reason I suggested search is because mental processing power and the ability to mentally multitask is, in my experience, a better indicator of someone's ability to mentally override the effects of something like a flash bang or pepper spray or tear gas or whatever.

Whereas willpower may indicate a person's ability to "muscle through the pain," it's less likely to predict the ability to make rapid decisions and adapt to a dynamic situation while experiencing sensory overload than something like the information processing aspect of perception.

Essentially, the person understands that he is being affected by some kind of stimulant, and mentally filters out the excess inputs (pain, ringing in ears, blind spots in the center of vision, etc) in order to continue to function as close to normally as possible.

In certain cases, the sensory overload can produce enough stress to cause the person to panic. In such cases, I'd certainly rule that willpower is the more appropriate skill to use to check for resistance.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Is Intimidate, too? I ask because Intimidate, especially always seemed out of place in Knowledge.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Whill wrote:

Absolutely. The main reason I suggested search is because mental processing power and the ability to mentally multitask is, in my experience, a better indicator of someone's ability to mentally override the effects of something like a flash bang or pepper spray or tear gas or whatever.

Whereas willpower may indicate a person's ability to "muscle through the pain," it's less likely to predict the ability to make rapid decisions and adapt to a dynamic situation while experiencing sensory overload than something like the information processing aspect of perception.

Essentially, the person understands that he is being affected by some kind of stimulant, and mentally filters out the excess inputs (pain, ringing in ears, blind spots in the center of vision, etc) in order to continue to function as close to normally as possible.

In certain cases, the sensory overload can produce enough stress to cause the person to panic. In such cases, I'd certainly rule that willpower is the more appropriate skill to use to check for resistance.

I do agree with you that Search is quite applicable. I can see requiring both a Willpower roll, and then if it's successful a Search roll.

MrNexx wrote:
Whill wrote:

Is Intimidate, too? I ask because Intimidate, especially always seemed out of place in Knowledge.

Yes. I still remember the day I got the "blue/Vader" 2e book. As soon as I read the skill descriptions of Intimidate and Willpower, I moved them to Perception. Intimidate is a social interaction/influence skill so it is very appropriate under Perception with the rest of those skills.

Willpower is more of its own thing, but since 1e had the Perception attribute used to resist Force powers, an aspect of "willpower" already existed inherent in Perception. And with 2e, they carried over using Perception to resist Force powers when the new Willpower seems much more applicable. Willpower seems somewhat related to "force of personality" so Perception seems the most appropriate for it out of the six attributes. I allow Willpower or the base attribute to resist Force powers, which gives a way for non-Force-sensitives to become good at resisting Force powers. If "the Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded," then it would logical follow that the converse is also true (the Force can have a weak influence on the strong-willed).

I'm quite certain that the only reason these new skills were placed on Knowledge was because Knowledge had become a "dump stat" so they wanted to beef it up and make it more attractive to players.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: