The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vigil-class Star Corvette
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Vigil-class Star Corvette
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jet Black
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Vigil-class Star Corvette Reply with quote

I guess you all know about the great 3D starship designs on the Fractalsponge website. Since I'm currently running a SW D6 campaign for my group, I came up with D6 stats for some of the original vessels shown there.

I hope it's OK to post those stats here, as I don't want to step on anyone's toes!

First, the Vigil-class star corvette, a fast picket / patrol ship. It has a decent mix of weapons, a strong sensor suite and launch racks for eight TIE fighters. The only thing missing (in my opinion) is a hangar bay for a shuttle or ferry for boarding actions.

Craft: Kuat Drive Yards Vigil-class Star Corvette
Type: Fast picket ship
Scale: Capital
Length: 254 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Vigil-class
Crew: 82, gunners: 18, skeleton: 24 / +10
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 4D+2
Capital ship gunnery 4D+2
Capital ship piloting 5D
Capital ship shields 4D
Starship gunnery 4D+2
Passengers: 50 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: 220 metric tons
Consumables: 1 year
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x10
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D+2
Space: 7
Atmosphere: 350; 1,000 kmh
Hull: 3D+1
Shields: 2D+2
Sensors:
Passive 30/1D
Scan 75/2D
Search 150/3D
Focus 5/4D
Weapons:
5 Twin Laser Cannons
Fire Arc: 2 front/left/back, 2 front/right/back, 1 front/left/right
Crew: 1
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3/10/20
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1/2 km
Damage: 4D+2
3 Dual Turbolaser Cannons
Fire Arc: 2 turret, 1 front/left/right
Crew: 3
Skill: Capital ship gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 3-15/35/75
Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
Damage: 5D
2 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: 1 front/left/back, 1 front/right/back
Crew: 2
Scale: Starfighter
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-8/15/20
Atmosphere Range: 100-800/1.5/2 km
Damage: 5D
Small Craft Complement: 8 TIE/ln starfighters

Link with big and pretty pictures: http://fractalsponge.net/?p=151

Last edited by Jet Black on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably has a few docking ports for those boarding actions.
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at the ship pictures and its your stats, but I think I count 7 of the twin laser cannons, there are two on the underside of the front, they're kinda hidden in shadow in most of the pics. Just commenting, your stats after all.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not stepping on anyone's toes by posting your own stats; it's a public forum, and there is no King of Stats here. Just be prepared for people to offer you unsolicited opinions that may conflict with your vision.

As far as the stat, the only real issue I can see is that it is rather large and durable when compared to other corvettes in the WEG SWU. At 254 meters, it's slightly larger than a Lancer-Class Frigate, and it soaks Damage better than a Nebulon-B.

Most corvettes in the WEG universe are in the 100-200 meter size range, so if I were doing this stat, I'd put it in the 170-180 meter range. Apart from that, the weapons are a good match to what we see in the visuals, and the sensors are appropriate for a picket ship. The only other suggestion I'd make is reducing the troop number to less than the crew. 50 is enough for a reinforced platoon; 4 line squads plus a heavy weapons squad would be effective for both boarding actions and light ground combat.

Also, if possible, you might want to use a smaller image of the Vigil (if there is one), as large pictures tend to push the margin of the page far enough out that written text is not easily readable.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size wise, its imo too large for a 'fast picket/patrol frigate', but the weaponry seems about right for that sort of ship.. Though i am surprised it has more of a freighter/fighter "battleness" than it does anti-cap ship...
Jet Black
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!

The 254 meters length comes straight from the ship's creator, so I kept it. I figure that a lot of internal space is taken by those huge engines! Also, all those pictures are rather large, so I just replaced the image in my opening post with a link to the website.

Agreed on those other points, though - I've reduced the hull die code to 3D+1 and the number of boarding troops to 50.

I did notice (and count) the two ventral twin laser turrets, but I've decided that those "double projector dishes" on the ventral wingtips are the tractor beam projectors - that's how I've arrived at the final numbers for the weaponry!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied fractalsponge's work, as well, and I've noticed he uses a different scale concept than the rest of the SWU. For instance, when he did the Dreadnaught, he called it a frigate instead of a heavy cruiser. There are other, similar discrepancies in ship classification. I'm not saying he's wrong or right, just that his version of scale and classification differs from that of the WEG SWU, which will necessitate either resizing the entire WEG system to fit fractalsponge's system, or vice versa. The latter is far simpler than the former.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vigil-class Star Corvette Reply with quote

Jet Black wrote:
I guess you all know about the great 3D starship designs on the Fractalsponge website.
Not all of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: