The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Speeder onboard a light freighter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Speeder onboard a light freighter? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Personally, I'm of the Cat school. If it fits, it sits.

And that's the issue.. CAN they fit?

Looking in the PDF for vehicles, MANY of those multi-passenger land speeders (and air speeders) are too large to fit into most ship's DRAWN cargo holds based on the schematics various sites have developed for them (as per what is IN those pdfs), cause they just won't fit in the cargo hatches..

Yeah that what's had me having second thought in the first place. I didn't really consider that the "van" type speeders were so big. That's why I'm thinking a much smaller, ATV-style thing now.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I refer you to my very first post in this thread, first response after your original post, you'll see that I pointed out the problem with a circular, about 2m diameter hatch and trying to get a full-size speeder through that.

It should be a fairly simple modification to get a larger, 3m by 5m hatch to articulate down, though it might eat up most of one of the two cargo holds. Though why there's not an U-shaped cargo hold (which means there might be a cargo hold directly below the 'belly' of the ship), I'll never know. At least, it doesn't seem like the cargo hold extends like that - but then again, we only have a flat deckplan to work with as far as I know, so ...

Modifications notwithstanding, the http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Aratech_A14_Repulsorlift_Disk repulsor disk should be easy to stash in the existing cargo hold with no modification. A flitter, http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hraki_Adventure_Motors_Flitter , should also fit. In addition to the aforementioned STAPs, of course. And, anything of the same ilk, such as:

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nen-Carvon_Sport_Lifter_CSL-1

maybe a http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Compact_Assault_Vehicle

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wheel_Bike

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hover_Shopper

or almost any swoop or speeder bike. In particular if you get a binary load lifter - it literally takes out any heavy lifting when deploying any swoop or speeder bike.
Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
If I refer you to my very first post in this thread, first response after your original post, you'll see that I pointed out the problem with a circular, about 2m diameter hatch and trying to get a full-size speeder through that.

It should be a fairly simple modification to get a larger, 3m by 5m hatch to articulate down, though it might eat up most of one of the two cargo holds. Though why there's not an U-shaped cargo hold (which means there might be a cargo hold directly below the 'belly' of the ship), I'll never know. At least, it doesn't seem like the cargo hold extends like that - but then again, we only have a flat deckplan to work with as far as I know, so ...

Modifications notwithstanding, the http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Aratech_A14_Repulsorlift_Disk repulsor disk should be easy to stash in the existing cargo hold with no modification. A flitter, http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hraki_Adventure_Motors_Flitter , should also fit. In addition to the aforementioned STAPs, of course. And, anything of the same ilk, such as:

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nen-Carvon_Sport_Lifter_CSL-1

maybe a http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Compact_Assault_Vehicle

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wheel_Bike

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hover_Shopper

or almost any swoop or speeder bike. In particular if you get a binary load lifter - it literally takes out any heavy lifting when deploying any swoop or speeder bike.

Yeah, sorry I didn't mention that, I have already (in my head) replaced that 2m diameter hatch with something larger Smile Either a ramp in front or a portion of the cargo compartment floor that can be lowered. I'm putting the speeder in it's own compartment underneath the ship (it just doesn't show on the interior blueprint... Razz ), making a rapid (and cinematic) deployment possible. I'll also give them a sled that can be stored flat somewhere in the cargo, that can be connected to the speeder, and also move (slowly) by itself.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got around it by having a speeder that had detachable steering vanes, like the old Kenner toy ones. Take the front section off for storage, and bolt them back on for use.
Seemed practical enough and provided options should the wild die come in to play.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Speeder onboard a light freighter? Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Cause its making more 'drag' on the ship..

And what exactly in space is causing "drag"?

In space, nothing. But, since he wants a speeder for use on planet, there's a fair amount of atmosphere between planetside and LOO (Low Object Orbit).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
We got around it by having a speeder that had detachable steering vanes, like the old Kenner toy ones. Take the front section off for storage, and bolt them back on for use.
Seemed practical enough and provided options should the wild die come in to play.

OOH, that is a cool idea..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Speeder onboard a light freighter? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

In space, nothing. But, since he wants a speeder for use on planet, there's a fair amount of atmosphere between planetside and LOO (Low Object Orbit).

Objection: Asked and answered.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Saikoyu
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Speeder onboard a light freighter? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Actually, I don't think most of the ships in Star Wars are aerodynamic. So if somehow the Millennium Falcon can fly, I don't think slapping a box on will make it any worse. I remember from somewhere, so please forgive me for not knowing who to give credit to, but someone once said that since all the ships in Star Wars are so un-aerodynamic, that they use the shields to smooth out the airflow. That could be a solution.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
Ray wrote:
I'm reminded of the Mule from Firefly.

A speeder version of that for pulling repulsorlift trailers wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. A wheeled version with a multi-option trailer hitch would be useful for Tramp Freighters, as it would likely be able to operate on planets where repulsorlifts aren't able to operate, and would be easier to maintain and cheaper to operate.

The Mule is what I had in mind when I imagined it. I see what you're saying about a wheeled version, but repulsorlifts are just so much more Star Wars-y Wink I also like the multitool-forklift-idea, CRMcNeill.
Thanks for everyone's input, it's helped a lot. I think I'm going to make up some sort of small multipurpose repulsorlift with a sled, with just about room for the three of them. After all, speeder chases are a big part of Star Wars, IMO. Also, I guess you could argue there's room for a speeder underneath what you can see on the interior plans on the xs-800.

Another possibility is a small, repulsorlift variant of a Roadrunner Forklift. Primarily used for loading large bails of hay on flatbed semi-trucks, a Roadrunner can move from field to field under its own power, and can travel at highway speeds to do so. It's comparable in size to a semi-truck tractor, and has two side-by-side seats, one facing forward for driving, the other facing rearward for forklift operation.

A SWU version would need to be smaller (to fit aboard a light freighter), but could also have the heavy lifting system permanently attached, then use it to grab onto a cargo or passenger transport box...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like the idea of just driving the speeder up the "docking ramp" that every ship in SW has (wink, wink) and calling it a day.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard or local day? How do you handle binary, trinary, or n-nary systems? Why should there be ramps, even?

No, you must try harder. I'm sure we can find something else that we can yell at ... I mean, discuss.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Speeder onboard a light freighter? Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
This is one of those things where the "rules" can make sense or not. For example, in the source book that details all the different engines that can be installed in ships (for players to modify their own ships... I forget which GG it is). Anyway, the engines and hyperdrives are rated as providing a certain amount of "space" movement without regard to which ship they are installed in (anything from a bulk freighter to light, sporty cruiser). The engine itself (and ONLY the engine), according to WEG, dictates how fast the ship is (regardless of it's total mass, for example, disregarding the thrust to weight ratio, etc).

You're thinking GG6: Tramp Freighters. The 1E rule worked better for this, since it didn't give names to the different drives, so it could be inferred that, rather than buying a drive that gave any ship a Space of 8, you were paying for a drive that gave your ship a Space of 8.

It would be nice if WEG had given individual ships a Mass rating in metric tons, so that it could be counted against the thrust of the drive. For instance, if a YT-1300 has a Mass of 100 metric tons, and mounts a Space 4 drive with a 200 metric ton thrust rating.

This would actually tie back in with a quote from Han Solo at Star's End, where the Millennium Falcon is described as having an insanely high lift-mass rating.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Agreed.

In fact...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Speeder onboard a light freighter? Reply with quote

Saikoyu wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Actually, I don't think most of the ships in Star Wars are aerodynamic. So if somehow the Millennium Falcon can fly, I don't think slapping a box on will make it any worse. I remember from somewhere, so please forgive me for not knowing who to give credit to, but someone once said that since all the ships in Star Wars are so un-aerodynamic, that they use the shields to smooth out the airflow. That could be a solution.

Well there is precedent. The Z-10 seeker for one, loses speed and maneuverability if it has those cargo pods installed.. The black ice like container ship also increases speed (though has no maneuverability) when it loses some of its container pods..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: