The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D20 to D6 Character/ship Converters: Anyone know of any?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> D20 to D6 Character/ship Converters: Anyone know of any?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: D20 to D6 Character/ship Converters: Anyone know of any? Reply with quote

I am slowly working on converting two Infinities Sourcebooks that I and two coauthors did about thirteen years ago (give or take). As the topic header states, does anyone know or is familiar with any program that can do quick conversions?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recall one that I downloaded years ago, but it never really worked well for me, and what it did convert I didn't really like. I ended up deleting the thing. Sorry.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
I can recall one that I downloaded years ago, but it never really worked well for me, and what it did convert I didn't really like. I ended up deleting the thing. Sorry.

It's ok. Maybe someone else has found or created one.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most D20 to D6 converters are screwy in my opinion. they either under power the original material or they over power it. after years of using other peoples works to convert i just made up one for races in microsoft excel. now its not perfect by any means, but its more balanced, or so i think...

but heres the basics that i use for races:
D6 = D20
Dexterity = Dexterity
Knowledge = Intelligence + Wisdom/2
Mechanical = Dexterity + Intelligence/2
Perception = Intelligence + Charisma + Wisdom/3
Strength = Strength + Constitution/2
Technical = Intelligence

and using humans as a base line,
Min D6=(D20 stat-2)/3
Max D6=(D20 stat-6)/3

set excel to round to the tenths decimal place only. so a 2.6666667=2.7.
.0 to .2=D; .3 to .5=D+1; .6 to .9=D+2

so basically a D20 Dex+2 = 10/20 (min/max) for D20 converts 2.7/4.7 or 2D+2/4D+2 (min/max) D6

Adding up the minimum dice from all 6 attributes will give you the base attribute dice for the race

with special abilities if its a skill bonus just convert them to pips, so a +1 to a D20 skill equates to a +1 pip for the D6 equivalent skill. for feats and other such bonuses, look at the link below and use your best unbiased judgement.

now when it comes to ships things get much more labor intensive. using
http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=D20_to_D6_Conversion_Guide
as a guideline you can get some very rough conversions. no i did not create that guide. ships take longer to convert in my opinion as theres usually more details surrounding a ship that requires converting than there is for a race. take your time here and try to get it right. its frustrating to think you got it right the first time around only to realize you F***ed it up down the road when youre doing more conversions or trying to use the converted material in games.

what you will need to do is to make sure that the conversions are all just as balanced in D6 as they were in D20. what you will look for during your conversion process is that the material is balanced within its own universe. be wary of trying to make them balanced within the Star Wars universe. if done right, most of the conversions will naturally be balanced within its own universe and within star wars d6 as well.

if you have one of the star wars d20 books, theres a chapter on converting from d6 to d20 in the back of one of the main books, its not a very good converter but it can give you a baseline to work with too.

but once you get all that info saved into excel, youll have your very own D20 to D6 converter. hope all that came through clear enough...

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were basic conversion guidelines give in the 1E D20 Star Wars, and I think they guys who did the combined books posted their guidelines too.

I could probably put some of the conversion into a spreadsheet for you. You just plug in the D20 Data and it would split of D6 data, or vice versa, depending on what you needed.

For character it was set up so that D20 values were equal to D6 pips +5. Or, an 11 in D20 was the same as 2D.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to do RCR, OCR, or SAGA conversions to D6. It makes a bit of a difference.

I wound up doing most of the SAGA to D6 conversions on starships when we were doing the conversion guides all those years ago. I still have my notes available.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Are you looking to do RCR, OCR, or SAGA conversions to D6. It makes a bit of a difference.

I wound up doing most of the SAGA to D6 conversions on starships when we were doing the conversion guides all those years ago. I still have my notes available.

I'm looking to convert OCR/RCR to D6. I'm hoping that there is an excel program that converts them fairly quickly, because I am in the process of converting the two Infinities sourcebooks I cowrote approximately eleven years ago.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look through my stash of conversion material, and I don't have any starship converters for the OCR/RCR books. I took a look at Gary Astleford's site, and I think I know why. Here's the link:

http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/notes.html

There are quite a few places where it requires human guestimation to get an idea of how the ship should convert. Since the speeds don't often match up between systems, and his conversion charts only give general suggestions, it won't give you a hard value. Also, things like starship maneuverability have no representation in the early d20 books, so it relies on the concept of the ship and a guestimate in D6.

Those sorts of values are things that excel spreadsheets are really bad at.

Though it may take some time, you should give a good look at Astleford's site. He's pretty much the grandfather of everyone who did conversions. Pretty much everything after him is based on his work.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to ke like making a "conversion" is more work than just taking the concept and statting in in a way that makes it fit into the existing ruleset.

For example, if you know a ship is slower than a TIE fighter but faster than an X-wing, then the space move must be 9, regardless of what number the conversion formula spits out.... or am I missing something?
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what rule set you're converting. If you're talking about the OCR/RCR, then it is more complicated than that.

The first portion comes in determining whether or not it is faster than an X-wing, but slower than a TIE. In the OCR/RCR they both have a top speed of "Ramming 10 squares/Action." So, there isn't necessarily a hard numerical output to differentiate between the two if you have an original ship design that exists only in the d20 system.

There are a number of places where the stat blocks line up neatly without ambiguity, and that's easy enough. There are other areas where the math makes it really straightforward and lines up nearly all the time, but doing the two or three steps of math per stat is time consuming. So, the math may be pretty clear that its armor is tougher than one ship but not as tough as another, but the fluff text doesn't make it clear, and only doing the number crunch will tell you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: