The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Small Craft Complements
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Small Craft Complements Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
I think a Star Wars-ized version would fit better. A straight crossover would be fun for a Space 1999 style campaign.

Quote:
I don't see the Eagle as a frontline Imperial Navy unit. Instead I envision a civilian craft that's so common you don't think twice when you see it, so you'd never know by looking at it if it was purely civilian, or in use by planetary governors, Alliance/rebels, pirates, Imperial Intelligence, etc.

When you combine these two thoughts, the as-is Eagle from Space 1999 actually transfers over pretty well. We have no real in-universe information for what civilian commercial craft look like in the SWU apart from light freighters and such, and the exposed framework and big, bulky thrusters are not unheard of in SWU ship design...

Quote:
The Eagle makes me think of an intergalactic big rig, with unlimited customization. And the different pods remind me of how there are real life companies designing big rig containers for houses, office buildings, restaurants, repair shops, field hospitals, customizable emergency disaster relief bases.

As a big rig driver, I can see the parallels. I wasn't picturing an Eagle as a long-haul type vehicle, though. As you suggested below, I could see an upgraded engine model with hyperdrive capability, but I see this thing more along the lines of a day cab (no sleeper) or a yard hostler.

Quote:
And pods could be made for any number of military applications. Never as good as a ship designed for a specific purpose, but a great jack of all trades.

Agreed. I'd think the modular design would give them a lower Hull rating, since the connection points are going to be designed to detach, rather than being forged in one piece or welded together.

Quote:
As to the size of the Eagle, these are the stats I found:

Length: 76 ft. (23.16 m)
Width: 30.2 ft. (9.2 m)
Height: 6.56 ft. (2 m)

I'm assuming it means 2 meters from the base of the fuselage, not from the base of the extended landing gear. For some reason, the schematics I've seen make it looks bigger. At 2 meters, Chewbacca wouldn't be able to stand upright inside...

Apart from that, it sizes roughly the same as most stock light freighters...

Quote:
Armament

If nothing else, civilian craft in the SWU are going to need a laser cannon to destroy space debris and small asteroids if they can't avoid a collision.

Quote:
first, I have no idea what pricing should be for a lot of equipment. I'm swagging numbers. for example If I were to put bacta tanks on the rescue pod the cost would go up 3,000 credits per pod, but I'm not sure how much bacta a tank holds nor what size storage tank I'd need to keep unused bacta in. Not even going to get into the fluctuating price of bacta itself.

That is a tricky one. My strength is the game rules; when I put an in-game price on a stat, it is usually a wild-@$$ guess, often just based on story factors.

Quote:
Second I'm worried I'll make military pods too powerful.

That's why you post them here: to get feedback. If multiple people tell you "that's too powerful", it probably is, unless you have a compelling reason for it to be that way.

Quote:
Fill a pod with passive sensors and you can monitor activity in a system.

Fill a pod with communication gear and you can set up a private holocom network.

Fill a pod with planetary survey equipment and you've got a scout ship

Respectively, the Recon and Laboratory pods mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

Quote:
Prison pods - Cryogenically freeze prisoners or encase them in carbonite and plant the pod on an airless asteroid or moon.

Nasty. Certainly more energy efficient than a stasis prison like Star's End.

Definitely some good ideas here...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all we really need for pod/modules is basic stats and dimensions both small and large, and let player/GM ingenuity adapt them to their needs.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you liked the Eagle concept as discussed, but felt it just wasn't "Star Wars" enough, check out this Millennium Falcon / Corellian Corvette / Eagle mashup.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
If any of you liked the Eagle concept as discussed, but felt it just wasn't "Star Wars" enough, check out this Millennium Falcon / Corellian Corvette / Eagle mashup.

Well we've got pictures now all we need are stats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: