The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Taking a blow for someone else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Taking a blow for someone else? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Related question: if a character knows he's going to take a hit, can he use the Preparation rule to add 1D to his Strength roll to resist damage?

Possibly, if it makes sense given the circumstances. I would also possibly allow preparation for a full dodge (mentally planning your course ahead of time).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Related question: if a character knows he's going to take a hit, can he use the Preparation rule to add 1D to his Strength roll to resist damage?
Like if you are about to play a game of Irish Stand Down?

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Possibly, if it makes sense given the circumstances. I would also possibly allow preparation for a full dodge (mentally planning your course ahead of time).

What Whill said with a couple of clarifications and caveats.

1. Just like with any other prepared action you have to spend an entire round preparing and you have to take only one action in the second round. If you change your mind and do more than one thing you lose the +1D bonus.

2. Taking the hit only works against brawling (and possibly blunt force) attacks. Absent some alien species weird special ability I don't think a character can prepare their body to take a hit from sharp and pointy things, blasters, firearms, etc.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I agree or not, but 2ER&E p. 81 says: "Characters generally should not be allowed to prepare for dodges, parries, or driving or piloting skills like repulsorlift operation, space transports and starfighter piloting. Characters probably won't be able to prepare for skills like survival, hide, stamina or swimming, but there may be circumstances when the bonus is justified."

As for preparing for a soak roll, I don't think the preparing rules apply. A character can prepare to "complete a task"--i.e., a skill roll. While rolling strength could be a skill roll (e.g., rolling strength for a stamina check when you don't have the stamina skill), resisting damage isn't a skill check. Therefore, the preparation rules don't apply.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, to the OP, you can also just use the cover rules. If the wookiee fears that the fragile techie is going to come under fire and the wookiee beats the bad guys in initiative, the wookiee can simply interpose himself between techie and bad guys and grant the techie a cover bonus.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
Also, to the OP, you can also just use the cover rules. If the wookiee fears that the fragile techie is going to come under fire and the wookiee beats the bad guys in initiative, the wookiee can simply interpose himself between techie and bad guys and grant the techie a cover bonus.

This, of course, presumes that the decision is made before the bad guys have even acted.

I get the feeling that the OP's question deals more with spur of the moment type of situations.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
I don't know if I agree or not, but 2ER&E p. 81 says: "Characters generally should not be allowed to prepare for dodges, parries, or driving or piloting skills like repulsorlift operation, space transports and starfighter piloting. Characters probably won't be able to prepare for skills like survival, hide, stamina or swimming, but there may be circumstances when the bonus is justified."

As for preparing for a soak roll, I don't think the preparing rules apply. A character can prepare to "complete a task"--i.e., a skill roll. While rolling strength could be a skill roll (e.g., rolling strength for a stamina check when you don't have the stamina skill), resisting damage isn't a skill check. Therefore, the preparation rules don't apply.

Agreed. Now while i COULD see preparing to hide or swimming (mentally collecting yourself), soaking, dodges etc are things that are by nature spur of the moment, so can't be prepared for..

Naaman wrote:

I get the feeling that the OP's question deals more with spur of the moment type of situations.

Yup. It was more for "The pc's have lost initiative to the enemy, and their shots come in (random allocation) at X, V and Q. However Q's character has a low str, and I is standing close to him (within 4 meters), and wishes to try and dodge INTO the path of the bolt, thus taking the blow for Q..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
What Whill said with a couple of clarifications and caveats.

1. Just like with any other prepared action you have to spend an entire round preparing and you have to take only one action in the second round. If you change your mind and do more than one thing you lose the +1D bonus.

2. Taking the hit only works against brawling (and possibly blunt force) attacks. Absent some alien species weird special ability I don't think a character can prepare their body to take a hit from sharp and pointy things, blasters, firearms, etc.

That's reasonable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an alternate take on the OP...
    (A) Bodyguard

Prerequisites: Dodge 5D, Search 5D

Description: This skill represents specialized training allowing a character to protect another character from physical harm, both by being constantly alert to potential threats and by placing himself between the protectee and the threat.

Game Use:
    -To use (A) Bodyguard, the character must be 1/2 his Move distance or less from the protectee.

-On a successful Search roll to spot a threat, roll (A) Bodyguard against Easy Difficulty, then compare the result to the following chart:
      Roll > Difficulty by # = Protection Provided
      0-3 = 1/4 Cover (+1D)
      4-6 = 1/2 Cover (+2D)
      7-9 = 3/4 Cover (+4D)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: