The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Gamorreans and space piracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Gamorreans and space piracy Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Gamorreans and space piracy Reply with quote

I had an idea many years ago to have Gamorrean space pirates. Hear me out.

The description of the Gamorreans indicates that the females may have different stats than the males. I thought about making them have 11D+2 for attributes, a lower max strength, but higher max technical, mechanical, and knowledge.

With that in mind they could be a matriarchal society where the females would actually be somewhat more intelligent and able to plot and scheme, make stuff, etc.

So anyway the pirates have a mining ship. It has a tractor beam and the male Gamorreans board and do the heavy lifting, while the females maintain the ship, operate the various systems, and are in charge of things. The males even have mining helmets with lights on them for some reason. The leader is a crafty and surprisingly intelligent female. Thats about all the further I got. Maybe someone else can run with this.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have mining helmets with lights because they use a lot of ion weaponry... pummel the ship into ion lock, and it's easier to deal with. However, ion lock has a tendency to knock out lights, so giving the Gamorreans headlamps (which may double as cameras, so the females can give them tactical suggestions) means that they can see when subduing the crew.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene where the lights go out, and you see the beams of the mining helmets and hear grunting noises.

Female Gamorreans actually sound kinda scary.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason sexual dimorphism in an alien species would automatically favor males. Female Gamorreans could easily bigger and tougher than the males, but also more levelheaded and intelligent (unless you piss the off).

The novel adaptation for the original Alien vs. Predator comic went a similar route, with Yautja (Predator) females being far more formidable than the males, with the males' hunting activities being an essential part to attracting a mate (since males outnumbered females by 3 or 4 to 1). There is a section where the main Predator character speculates that a fight between a well armed and experienced Yautja warrior and an enraged Yautja female would be about even (although he would be more inclined to bet on the female).

The same could be true of Gamorreans...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobenhotep wrote:
The scene where the lights go out, and you see the beams of the mining helmets and hear grunting noises.

Female Gamorreans actually sound kinda scary.

Word. Shocked
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason this came to mind...
Laughing
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
There's no reason sexual dimorphism in an alien species would automatically favor males. Female Gamorreans could easily bigger and tougher than the males, but also more levelheaded and intelligent (unless you piss the off).

The novel adaptation for the original Alien vs. Predator comic went a similar route, with Yautja (Predator) females being far more formidable than the males, with the males' hunting activities being an essential part to attracting a mate (since males outnumbered females by 3 or 4 to 1). There is a section where the main Predator character speculates that a fight between a well armed and experienced Yautja warrior and an enraged Yautja female would be about even (although he would be more inclined to bet on the female).

The same could be true of Gamorreans...

The description in the 2e book says that the females do almost everything that does not involve actual fighting. For the sake of game balance I would lower their max strength and maybe even dex, but raise their max attributes in technical (since they make everything) mechanical (so they could run ships for space pirate plot reasons) and knowledge (since they run everything).
Lowering their max strength could be explained by them being physically about the same size as humans. This would allow them to use pilot's seats, gunnery stations, etc. without modification (also a good way to more easily explain them having a spaceship). As a side note, the concept of "Gnorn" may not apply to the female of the species, and if they are smaller beings with clever hands they actually have no problem shooting at you with a blaster.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't explain how the more physically powerful males wouldn't dominate them and simply force them to do everything. There needs to be some reason why war-like males who fight amongst each other for dominance would go along with women being in charge.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally down with Gamorrean females being smarter than males, but their technology level is middle ages at best so a group of Gamorreans running their own ship would be a rare oddity. But it wouldn't be impossible in my SWU. Perhaps a ship landed on Gamorrea and the crew captured and enslaved a whole clan. Maybe after many years the females had time to learn the technology and they orchestrated a mutiny, using the ship to go into the pirating business.

It's like an adventure I had where a crime lord had three spice-crazed Ewoks in his goon squad that hopped around and took turns shooting a light laser cannon at the PCs. It doesn't really make sense, but it's fun anyway.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The novel Children of the Jedi features some warring Gamorrean tribes that have been mistakenly shanghaid by the Eye of Palpatine's AI. Might be some social clues there...

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The novel Children of the Jedi features some warring Gamorrean tribes that have been mistakenly shanghaid by the Eye of Palpatine's AI. Might be some social clues there...

Was that the first book of the Callista trilogy? I think I remember reading it when it came out but I forgot almost everything that happened in it.

And what would an Imperial AI want with a bunch of Gamorreans? Shocked Confused
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The why of Gammorean male acquisence of female leadership, it might be cultural or biological... an interesting option, if we're going with largish sexual dimorphism between the two (enough to warrant separate write-ups for the species) is that female Gammoreans might get bonus Command dice with male Gammoreans, even not of their own clan or tribe... some biological or cultural imperative.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Was that the first book of the Callista trilogy? I think I remember reading it when it came out but I forgot almost everything that happened in it.

Correct.

Quote:
And what would an Imperial AI want with a bunch of Gamorreans? Shocked Confused

Short version? The AI had been sabotaged and mistook two warring Gamorrean tribes as the unit of stormtroopers it was supposed to pick up from Gamor.

Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already have an image for one of your Gamorrean space pirates picked out for ya, Bob!
Gamorrean-Badass artwork by Mr. Jake Parker http://mrjakeparker.tumblr.com

Last edited by Telsij on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice art! I like! It will be easy to remove the battle ax if needed. Thanks for sharing.

MrNexx wrote:
The why of Gammorean male acquisence of female leadership, it might be cultural or biological... an interesting option, if we're going with largish sexual dimorphism between the two (enough to warrant separate write-ups for the species) is that female Gammoreans might get bonus Command dice with male Gammoreans, even not of their own clan or tribe... some biological or cultural imperative.

Sexual distatism for attribute ranges is certainly an option but not necessary to represent this concept. Another option is to just have the species attribute ranges take both sexes into account and then have separate typical stats for each sex reflecting these tendencies. But that would work better if the two sexes weren't too far apart.

For primitive species I find the more challenging aspect is to come up with maximums that add up to 18D but still don't seem too outrageous for my sense of verisimilitude. Coming up with an 18D Ewok I could live with was not easy, and still requires a background that puts them in a galactic setting for at least three years prior to the start of the campaign. I haven't statted out Gamorreans yet but being less primitive and strong, it should be easier than Ewoks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: