The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

is there a definite homebrew Force system that's A+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> is there a definite homebrew Force system that's A+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: is there a definite homebrew Force system that's A+ Reply with quote

One that people agree on that's better than what WEG put out?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: is there a definite homebrew Force system that's A+ Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:
One that people agree on that's better than what WEG put out?

Nope.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Various ones certain people agree are better, certainly, but I'm not aware of any that are universally approved of.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the perrenial discussions on the boards. Ever so often someone comes up and says, "I've got a new Force system that's way better than WEG!" And then it'll get tossed around for a few pages, and then everyone will forget about it. Certainly any person that comes up with a new system is convinced that it is WAAAAY better than the one WEG had.

And let's be honest, for such an elegant system otherwise, the Force powers are far more complicated than the rest of their system. Either that or it becomes horribly overpowered. Sometimes both, depending on which version of the rules you're using.

But for all that, no one seems to have come up with something that sticks with anything except their gaming group.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen homebrews on new Force systems but all sought to further complicate the system rather than simplify it. If nothing else could be said of WEG, it is that they were masters of simplification. Even their sentences are economic.

I personally believe they took it down to as many values as fit the spirit of the game as well as its mechanics. In plain speak, I think the WEG material is inherently balanced. This is evident in most of the canonical WEG Force powers, and many of the fan-made powers are fairly balanced as well. It is true that Force-using characters (specifically Jedi) get very powerful over time, but it is a long time, and many adventures can still be had during that time frame, and death via dice will ever, ever, ever be possible therein as well.

I know this isn't a specific answer to your question—it's more like a WEG sales pitch—but I always encourage both new and veteran players to use the Force as in the RAW and supplemental material from WEG, just as it is written. Then, after doing that for a while (minimum time, six months), certain issues may be addressed individually, proceeding from subjective data gathered from your prior play.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing that has been universally approved as better. if there were, it would probably be more well known.

Basically the system WEG put out if fairly good. The big points of contention/problems seem to be around lightsaber combat, MAPs for raised powers (i.e. with LSC up a character might be able to slice an AT-AT up into a dozen pieces- but probably can't run up to the AT-AT without tripping.), the lack of starfighter related force powers, and not covering stuff that came out in the prequels.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I have seen homebrews on new Force systems but all sought to further complicate the system rather than simplify it. If nothing else could be said of WEG, it is that they were masters of simplification. Even their sentences are economic.

I was considering trying something to simplify things. The basic framework would be something along the lines of:

1) Any power that augments an attribute or skill would give the same bonus, based on the relevant force skills of the character. The ides here is that we wouldn't need different rules for Enhance Attribute, Magnify Sense, Lightsaber Combat, etc.

2) Powers that draw on multiple Force Skills roll the lowest skill code against the highest difficulty, but count as one action.

3) A character can buy off a MAP (for keeping a power up) by spending a Force Point. The Force Point is returned to the character about an hour or so after he drops the power (i.e. the Jedi "sigh" after combat in the prequels.)
tcschenks
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several years of fiddling around with the rules I'd have to say stick with the WEG system, but I would seriously consider getting rid of the Lightsaber Combat Force power. Use the Combat Sense and Danger Sense skills. Keep blaster defection as part of the DEX Lightsaber combat skill.
rpetras
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have no claim that my house rules for the Force are "better" than anyone else's, you are certainly welcome to take a look at what my group uses:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-tC0Mdnhg_OVuzCuRLPgUzHWVl8uO2eKnWH-Qb40FTU/edit?usp=sharing

The basic idea was to use a skill system that more closely followed the basic skill system. Instead of the traditional Force Skills, Control, Sense and Alter are moved to Force Attributes. The traditional Force Powers simply become Force Skills under the appropriate Force Attribute.

The complexity of rolling under multiple attributes is removed. Each Force Skill relies on only one Force Attribute.

Take a look. If it helps your group, great! Enjoy!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, rpetras! 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: