The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtroopers are COOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Stormtroopers are COOL! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I don't think I was too snarky or insulting for the forum. If you disagree feel free to complain to the powers that be.

I'm not a complainer like that. And, I don't think you've done anything worthy of tattling on you.

But, you did come across rather rude at first. Maybe it was just me. E-mail and text can be read "wrong". You just seemed to piss on everything I said that I liked.

I prefer a more comradely forum, but I'll admit that you've seemed to back off a bit, too.

There's no need for any of us to be nasty to each other.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Bren wrote:
I don't think I was too snarky or insulting for the forum. If you disagree feel free to complain to the powers that be.

I'm not a complainer like that. And, I don't think you've done anything worthy of tattling on you.
When you write "Liable to sound...?" it seems like you are, in fact, complaining how what I wrote sounded or what you felt were ad hominem attacks. Maybe not. But that's how it reads to me.

Quote:
There's no need for any of us to be nasty to each other.
Agreed. Which is why I stopped commenting about your view of the GM as god.

Quote:
It was a great game.

I bet neither of you guys would have liked it.
Because? Based on? Comments like this make it seem like you are trying to provoke an argument with me or else that my opinion of your game matters to you a lot more than I think it should.

As far as your game, some people like playing themselves in an RPG. Some don't. Other than that what you describe sounds like the start of The Matrix meets This is Your Life with a lot of shooting. The props and maps sound cool. Taking advantage of the Internet to get maps is a good GM tip. And the connection to real world places can be fun for the GM and the players. Its often one of the appeals of both spy games and Call of Cthulhu.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
When you write "Liable to sound...?" it seems like you are, in fact, complaining how what I wrote sounded or what you felt were ad hominem attacks. Maybe not. But that's how it reads to me.

"I'm not a complainer like that," refers to the times, in my entire life, that I've alerted a mod to someone on being snarky or crappy on a forum--any form. I can count on one hand how many times I've done it.

Quote:
Agreed. Which is why I stopped commenting about your view of the GM as god.

Let's just go back to enjoying each other's posts.

Everything forgotten, in my book.

Quote:
Because? Based on?

I thought it obvious. You didn't like the stormtrooper idea with the moral choices. It follows that you wouldn't like a game where you weren't even told what RPG was being played, or that one part of it was acted out in real life without you knowing it was a game being played.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I thought it obvious. You didn't like the stormtrooper idea with the moral choices. It follows that you wouldn't like a game where you weren't even told what RPG was being played, or that one part of it was acted out in real life without you knowing it was a game being played.
Those are two completely different game settings and systems. One is Star Wars. The other is modern spies with self-avatars.

I play different games to play different games. I don't expect nor want every game to be the same. That would bore me unto no end.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, friendly neighborhood Mod here. The tone of this thread has waxed and waned quite a bit in the last 18 hours.

If you want to discuss GM'in styles in different settings. Great. That's what the forums are for. If you want to derail this to snarky off-hand remarks about one another, then not so great. You want to degrade this to the point of "F this" or "F that," then this thread is going to get shut down.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Dude, not telling your players that you're going to be throwing serious moral problems at them throughout the campaign is a serious d!ck move. It's irresponsible for a GM to bring up serious moral themes like this without warning.

If players want to knowingly deal with stuff like being involved in atrocities and pillaging, that's one thing, but dropping that onto your players without their consent or prior knowledge? That's a serious GM no-no. Consider how deeply you could offend your players if you pulled that on them without warning. What happens if one or more of your players had lost family during the Holocaust and you asked them to play the part of stormtroopers taking kids away from their families to be sent to work camps or death camps? I can guarantee they wouldn't take kindly to that, especially if you sprang that story twist on them without warning.

Playing an Imperial/bad guy campaign has its advantages, but if you're going to involve your players with mature themes like torture and wartime atrocities, you need to get their permission first.

I can't see why this should be a problem if you are not playing with kids.
We often have moral dilemmas, also with new players around. Not as storm troopers but often as fringe characters. It's up to the player to act accordingly to his wishes.. Also we have different moral codes within the party which means a lot of great role playing situations..
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rule is "know your players". If they are cool with stuff being sprung on them, and you know that they will be able to handle the themes you intend to bring in, then that's great, and everyone is in for an enjoyable and different Star Wars campaign.
If in doubt, ask them. Yes, it might take away some of the surprise, but it's better than making people you like and respect walk away from the game table.

Generally, hiding things about the types of game you are playing from the players in order to maintain the surprise twist, and the role of the GM are things we'd be better off discussing in the GM section.

So, to go back to original post, interesting idea for a story. A little bit like the novel 'Allegiance' by Timothy Zahn, or even the opening of The Force Awakens, but with a slower burn. I can see it being interesting.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read Allegiance, but I plan to. I like Zahn's stuff. I just finished listening to Zahn's trilogy. Awesome production.

I guess the cat is out of the bag with Allegiance, though. I didn't know it was about stormtroopers who switch sides.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens in the first few chapters, so is the springboard for one of the story arcs. As it's Zahn, there's plenty more happening.

I've never got on with audio books. I miss details, as I'm not concentrating on listening as much as I would reading.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
I've never got on with audio books. I miss details, as I'm not concentrating on listening as much as I would reading.

This is going to sound strange, but I had to learn to use audiobooks. I would miss details, too. I'd find my mind wandering and have to go back.

The experiences in reading and listening are different. That is for sure.

At first, I would just listen to non-fiction books. I found that I don't require those to be as dramatic, with such a good narrator. I got a lot out of them and enjoyed them.

I've been listening to audiobooks very consistently for two or three years now. I'm going through a lot of books, and I like that--as I love to read, and I know I would never get through this many books in my lifetime.

I'm more finicky about novels. The narrator is extremely important. I've found that some books, with a good narrator are better than just plain normal reading. That's usually not the case, but it has happened.

And, the reverse is true. I've had some excellent novels ruined by a narrator whom seems to be reading the news and boring my socks off.

For example, I've read the Thrawn trilogy a couple of times over the years. Just recently, I decided to listen to it since it has been over a decade since I had visited the story.

The audio presentation of the Thrawn trilogy is top notch. It has an excellent narrator who does the voices great. It's got music and some sound effects. It's an all-around amazing set of audio-books, and I think it's a better experience than reading the trilogy normally.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that helped me when starting out was to listen to audiobooks of books I'd already read. I miss more with the new stuff, because my attention isn't 100% on the book (I'm driving, and a fidgeter). By using it to re-experience books, I activate my prior knowledge of the story, but get to reacquaint myself with it. A good narrator can REALLY make or break a book, and I find it takes a bit more to get into a new narrator.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
A good narrator can REALLY make or break a book, and I find it takes a bit more to get into a new narrator.

Yes.

Yes.

YES.

YES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: