The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Melee combat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THOUGHTS

Should Brawling and Brawling Parry be two separate skills? Is being able to defend yourself that much different from being able to attack and damage your foe?

The game says so. It says that Brawling is STR based, where as Brawling Parry is DEX based.

If you don't separate these, then it's not possible to be better at offence than you are a defense. With one skill, the character is skilled the same at both attack and defense.

With them separated, HTH combat styles like Judo where the fighter is focused on defense rather than attack. (I think I named that right...Judo).

Blaster and Dodge makes a lot of sense. Those should be separate skills.

If you combine Brawling and Brawling Parry, but you don't combine Blaster and Dodge, then what you are saying is that Brawling is much easier to learn than Blaster and Dodge.

From strictly a game perspective, a character's skill points have two skills to build with Blaster and Dodge, Brawling and Brawling Perry, and Melee and Melee Parry.

If you combine any of them, then they are easier to improve than the other skill sets.

Brawling is STR based. Brawling Parry is DEX based.

Melee is DEX based. Melee Parry is DEX based.

Damage is always STR based, for both Brawling and Melee.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Blaster and Dodge makes a lot of sense. Those should be separate skills.

If you combine Brawling and Brawling Parry, but you don't combine Blaster and Dodge, then what you are saying is that Brawling is much easier to learn than Blaster and Dodge.
I don't think it should be easier to attack and defend with a sword in space opera than it is to fire a ray gun and not get shot with a ray gun. So I keep melee attack and parry and brawling attack and parry separate.

If I were playing D6 Fantasy, I'd might be more inclined tp combine attack and parry since that would preference melee fighters over archers (and dodgers). And I think that makes sense in a Conan-style campaign.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you combine Brawling and Brawling Parry, what attribute is it under?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: