The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

CRPGs that provide a similar experience to SWRPG?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> CRPGs that provide a similar experience to SWRPG?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: CRPGs that provide a similar experience to SWRPG? Reply with quote

Just wondering if there are any CRPGs or other computer games out there that you all think provide a decent approximation of the WEG SWRPG experience.

Of the games I've played:

- X-Wing Alliance was a fav because of your ability to fly "neutral" starships, including light freighters.

- Rebellion scratches my itch for using WEG-created material in the form of ships and some characters (I think) in the game, but it's more board-on-computer and less RPG.

- KOTOR 1 is a fun game, but it's basically just the prototypical Bioware game that continues with the Mass Effect series. That and I find the ancient Republic setting to be...well...kind of a weak blend of "it's the same, but also different." I get that it gives them narrative freedom, but so much of it just feels like riffs on the classic Trilogy from a design perspective.

Note: I'm not limiting this necessarily to only Star Wars computer/video games. There may be other games/franchises I'm not aware of that do a good job of providing a similar experience in a different setting.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: CRPGs that provide a similar experience to SWRPG? Reply with quote

Solo4114 wrote:
- KOTOR 1 is a fun game, but it's basically just the prototypical Bioware game that continues with the Mass Effect series. That and I find the ancient Republic setting to be...well...kind of a weak blend of "it's the same, but also different." I get that it gives them narrative freedom, but so much of it just feels like riffs on the classic Trilogy from a design perspective.

KOTOR 2, especially with the Restored Content Mod, is a better experience, especially mechanically, though both were really made to emulate d20 Star Wars, and you eventually get to the point where you're using the Force a LOT (I tended to use the Force Wave power... the one that simply drove everyone back, and did damage based on your level).

One you might look at is Shadowrun Returns, and its sequels, Dragonfall and Hong Kong. While the atmosphere is not really Star Wars (it has its own developed mythology), some of the mechanics are some I'd like to steal to import to WEG d6.

While said somewhat dismissively, Mass Effect is absolutely a Star Wars like game... in many ways, it's Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, then some new ones engraved.

Oh! And Wing Commander: Privateer. Want to be a space smuggler?
Solo4114
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CRPGs that provide a similar experience to SWRPG? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:

KOTOR 2, especially with the Restored Content Mod, is a better experience, especially mechanically, though both were really made to emulate d20 Star Wars, and you eventually get to the point where you're using the Force a LOT (I tended to use the Force Wave power... the one that simply drove everyone back, and did damage based on your level).

One you might look at is Shadowrun Returns, and its sequels, Dragonfall and Hong Kong. While the atmosphere is not really Star Wars (it has its own developed mythology), some of the mechanics are some I'd like to steal to import to WEG d6.

While said somewhat dismissively, Mass Effect is absolutely a Star Wars like game... in many ways, it's Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off, then some new ones engraved.

Oh! And Wing Commander: Privateer. Want to be a space smuggler?

Alas, with the exception of KOTOR 2, I've played (and thoroughly enjoyed!) all of those. Also the Privateer remake (Privateer Gemini Gold) and Vega Strike.

I tend to play games like that (e.g. Darkstar One -- an inferior similar game), still trying to recapture the joy of my first playthru of Privateer. I can still remember getting scanned for contraband, having local system cops on my tail, and jamming the afterburners to get to the jump point, and BARELY getting out of system in time.

But like I said, I've played most of those. I'm currently in a Shadowrun Hong Kong playthru that I just started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: