The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Pilot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Pilot Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way: RAW, its the same skillas for a land speeder or even an airspeeder.

And the "assumption" that she got training is exactly what I was getting at. In the films, Leia is basically one of the PCs, along with Luke, Han, and probably Chewbacca.

There is plenty of reason to allow PCs the assumption that they have "off-camera" experiences that give them skill in areas not frequently used, hence why either 1: just use "the pilot skill" or 2: if separate skills, build insome overlap. Many believe that Luke's 7D in piloting is simy because he is the main character. Aren't the PCs also main characters?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Many believe that Luke's 7D in piloting is simy because he is the main character. Aren't the PCs also main characters?
But the PCs aren't main characters who starred in the only movie to sell more tickets than Gone with the Wind. Our gaming group figured Luke and Co. got their character points based on ticket sales. Laughing

Last edited by Bren on Sun May 21, 2017 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Aren't the PCs also main characters?

Not to the same level han, luke etc are.. That's what they build up TO..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, depending on the campaign, I see this working either way.

From a consistency standpoint, I believe it makes sense to roll piloting skills that govern craft of the same sfale into one skill and then allow for specialization withinin classes (starfighters or space transports.. possibly even break that up a bit more to distinguish freighters from yachts and luxury cruisers and maybe fighters from bombers, etc etc..)

All other skills do it this way.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The only time we ever saw her drive anything though, Was the speeder bike in RotJ.. And by then she had a # of years in the rebellion... So it can be assumed she got some training on bikes.

Leia was shown in the Falcon piloting seat while Han and Luke fended off the TIE fighters when escaping the first Death Star. And in TESB, Leia was shown with her hands on the yoke in Chewie's station when Han and Chewie return to the cockpit from both being in the back trying to repair the Falcon's hyperdrive. Threepio was standing behind Han's station and he sure as hell wasn't piloting the ship while being chased by TIEs and star destroyers.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which begs another question: is piloting in SW like driving IRL. I think that the films contradict themselves quite a lot: do we really think Han would say something like "who's gonna fly it, kid, you?" And then just leave the cock pit to a damsel in distress who's quals or experience he has not had a chance to vet?

I think that the way space travel is PORTRAYED in SW is anaogous to real world driving, even if that one line in ANH causes some confusion (we could surmise that Han assumed Luke was "too young to drive" at the start of ANH, though).
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone in the SWU is a pilot. Driving a repulsorlift vehicle is most likely the SWU's closest analog to real-world driving. Maybe starship piloting is closer to being a bus- or large-vehicle driver, something that requires specific training (that can be self-taught) as well as a special license? BoSS may be Legends continuity, but it makes sense that to legally drive around the galaxy, you still need to get a license from that Bureau to do so without getting harassed by local planetary Customs as well as Imperial/New Republic Customs.

Han could have reasonably assumed that Luke didn't have a license to fly starships (he's a hick from a desert planet in the galaxy's boonies, after all), but Luke may have just have been thinking about his flying skills alone when he replies "You bet I could!" Why would someone raised in the Outer Rim give a damn about BoSS or their regulations? All that sort of legal stuff is "such a long way from here" after all.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Pilot Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Giant Tourtiere wrote:

It's an interesting question, especially since 'maneuverable' doesn't necessarily mean 'easy to fly'. It's a far different context but apparently Sopwith Camels were crazy hard to learn to fly without dying, but once you did they were tremendous for dogfighting.

Especially if you were running a game with lots of piloting I think the idea of difficulties for different ships would be reasonable and add a lot of flavour. Not getting the Manuever dice would be a nice compromise between 'you can't fly it at all' and full operations, too.

Talking it over with some of the SW players when i was at a convention last year, one made the suggestion that you can 'add' as many dice as maneuverability to your skill roll, AS the skill is higher than your attribute.

So if you were just using your base Mechanical (say 4d for the cocky pilot template), you couldn't add ANY maneuverability in. BUT if the skill had say been increased to 6d (2d above the attrib) you can add UP to 2d of the maneuverability..

If I wanted to make some craft difficult to pilot I think I'd just use the existing rules in 2RE. From the Vehicles section page 241.

Quote:
Unskilled.- Some very specialized vehicles will have an
"unskilled penalty" indicated: anyone piloting the vehicle
without the correct specialization suffers the
penalty indicated. Example: Repulsorlift operations:
heavy equipment (unskilled: -2D)

So if an A-wing is really difficult to fly then you are at -2D unless you have the specialization starfighter piloting: A-wing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Which begs another question: is piloting in SW like driving IRL. I think that the films contradict themselves quite a lot: do we really think Han would say something like "who's gonna fly it, kid, you?" And then just leave the cock pit to a damsel in distress who's quals or experience he has not had a chance to vet?

I think that the way space travel is PORTRAYED in SW is anaogous to real world driving, even if that one line in ANH causes some confusion (we could surmise that Han assumed Luke was "too young to drive" at the start of ANH, though).

Ben was obviously the main negotiator with Han over the price. Han's question about Luke being able to fly a ship was probably aimed mostly at Ben to try plant a question in his mind over Luke's piloting ability due to his apparent inexperience in an attempt to steer Ben away from seriously considering Luke's suggestion to buy their own ship and fly it themselves instead of hiring Han.

And Leia was not really a damsel in distress. She kicked @ss. Just saying.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And Leia was not really a damsel in distress. She kicked @ss. Just saying.

1) After having her ship boarded, rather than hide, she blasts a stormtrooper and tries to distract the boarding party as long as she can from the escape pod in which she sent away R2 and 3PO.

2) After having just been captured, she lies to Darth Vader's face about being on a diplomatic mission. (As per Rogue One, we know how brazen this is.)

3) In the middle of a botched rescue, she grabs the gun out of the hands of one her rescuers and Indy Ploys an escape route in the middle of a firefight.

4) (This doesn't count as kicking @$$, but is still noteworthy) She constantly snarks at Han while they're on the Death Star and after they're away in the Falcon, she's savvy enough to see that the Empire let them go in order to track them to the Rebel base on Yavin. In the novelization, it gets even better when, after they've landed on Yavin 4, she proves that the Death Star is on its way when she tells Jan Dodonna and the other officers that the Empire only sent 4 fighters after them when they could just as easily sent a hundred. Han fumes silently but can't argue the point.

Yeah, Leia is definitely a Damsel Out of Distress.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna argue that, but I think you guys get my point: she's a total stranger.

Its reasonable to assume that people IRL past a certain age know how to drive. I think what we see in SW parallels this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: