The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Enhancing Move Distance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Enhancing Move Distance Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Me? I TEND to prefer to limit randomization (especially in D6 wherein the core mechanic is massively random). I feel that faster people should invariably out run slower ones, just like stronger people should always out lift weaker ones (by way of example, I'd prefer a system that gives a standardized weight that can be lifted without rolling.. say, for every 1D you have in lifting, you can lift 10 lbs without rolling a skill check; attempting to lift more would require a check with a difficulty proportionate to the difference).
Don't call for a roll if the outcome isn't uncertain.

For example, if the race is on a flat, straight track with no obstacles, and the two opponents have significantly different speeds then the outcome has little uncertainty. Absent a false start or someone pulling a muscle the faster runner wins and we don't need a die roll to figure out who is faster.

But usually in an RPG the race (or chase) isn't on a straight, flat track without obstacles. So there is at least a bit of uncertainty as to the outcome. In which case a die roll probably makes sense.

Its worth keeping in mind that the WEG D6 system is designed to allow for Han Solo stepping on the twig and alerting the biker scout despite his having a good Sneak or flubbing his Con roll in the Death Star detention block and alerting security (really he was just confirming the existing alert) despite him being the sort of scoundrel that is used to conning officials. The system (especially with the inclusion of the Wild Die) is designed to include unexpected and frankly unlikely outcomes. It's not an unintentional bug. It's a design feature.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds of the the reason I prefer the First Edition Speed Codes. You're rolling for who wins a race, or who got where first, in a quick toss of the dice rather than spending time figuring movement, counting squares or measuring distances, etc.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, going opposite of CR for a bit, what would the rules look like if someone COULD exceed racial maximums for Movement?

My inclination is to borrow a bit from the "exceeding racial maximums for attributes" rule. The player and the GM both roll a single, exploding, die. The GM adds the species racial maximum to his roll, while the player adds her desired move to hers. If his total is higher, then the CPs are spent and the Move rate increases. If her roll is higher, then she gets back half her CPs, but her Move does not improve.

The die explodes to allow for some moves to get weirdly high... otherwise, you're just saying "Maximum +6 is the real maximum"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the need for a one-off rule like that; we don't have any existing rule where you get back CPs mid-game. We do, however, have a system that progressively rewards or penalizes high and low rolls: the RAW damage chart and the RoE Optional Damage rules, which is what my suggested house rule in the OP is based on.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If you really want to get nitpicky, you might even split the effects of running into two difderent skills: the Dex one for "balance when running" and a strength one for maximum all out speed. Stamina COULD be used here as a function of the character's ability to push hard long enough to do things like set a galactic record. It's not perfect, but since it is already based on Str, it won't "cost" anything in terms of character resources to be a true "runner."

The stamina difficulty would simply increase disproportionately the faster the character attempts to move, with all-out movement requiring a stamina check at the start of each successive round after the first, andfurther increasing for each previous check thatis successful.

Been meaning to come back to this. In the past, I've suggested a new Dexterity skill called Agility that was separate from Running, and covered the ability to maintain balance in challenging terrain. I could see this tying in with that, then using the added speed to increase the Difficulty of the Stamina roll for the Long Distance Movement rules.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I don't see the need for a one-off rule like that; we don't have any existing rule where you get back CPs mid-game. We do, however, have a system that progressively rewards or penalizes high and low rolls: the RAW damage chart and the RoE Optional Damage rules, which is what my suggested house rule in the OP is based on.

Was this directed at me? The "get CPs back mid-game" is directly based on the rules for increasing attributes... if you fail to increase your attribute, then you get back half the CPs that you would've spent.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I feel that faster people should invariably out run slower ones, just like stronger people should always out lift weaker ones (by way of example, I'd prefer a system that gives a standardized weight that can be lifted without rolling.. say, for every 1D you have in lifting, you can lift 10 lbs without rolling a skill check; attempting to lift more would require a check with a difficulty proportionate to the difference).

There is a middle ground suggested in D6 Space, whereby a character exceeds 5D, any dice above 5D convert to the 1D=3.5 formula (rounding up). For example, a character with a Lifting of 8D would, rather than rolling 8D, convert the 3D above 5D into 11 (3.5 x 3 = 10.5, rounded up), so that the character is rolling 5D+11.

With those numbers, it's pretty much assumed that a character with 8D Lifting can automatically make any Lifting check of Moderate Difficulty or lower. Obviously, it's not a blanket solution, and some skills won't be compatible, but this is the D6 equivalent of D&D's "Taking a 10."

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Was this directed at me? The "get CPs back mid-game" is directly based on the rules for increasing attributes... if you fail to increase your attribute, then you get back half the CPs that you would've spent.

Yes, but that occurs "off-screen" between missions. You're talking about it happening mid-session. I don't see the need for a special rule for that when what I originally suggested in more in line with existing rules.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Yes, but that occurs "off-screen" between missions. You're talking about it happening mid-session. I don't see the need for a special rule for that when what I originally suggested in more in line with existing rules.

No, I'm not. I don't see how you got the idea that it was happening mid-session out of what I wrote. While I didn't explicitly use the word training, I thought it was implied from the suggestion that we were borrowing from exceeding racial maximums for attribute rules, and spending CP to make an increase to the Move rate.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the whole point of this topic is using Running to increase Move distance in-game. What people like Usain Bolt can do is right at the ragged edge of human ability; I'm not looking to overturn existing species maximums because that pushes the envelope too far too quickly.

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Because the whole point of this topic is using Running to increase Move distance in-game. What people like Usain Bolt can do is right at the ragged edge of human ability; I'm not looking to overturn existing species maximums because that pushes the envelope too far too quickly.

And I specifically noted I was piggybacking on the topic to approach it from a different direction. Like, in so many words.

MrNexx wrote:
So, going opposite of CR for a bit, what would the rules look like if someone COULD exceed racial maximums for Movement?

Which is why I was confused.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

My inclination is to borrow a bit from the "exceeding racial maximums for attributes" rule. The player and the GM both roll a single, exploding, die. The GM adds the species racial maximum to his roll, while the player adds her desired move to hers. If his total is higher, then the CPs are spent and the Move rate increases. If her roll is higher, then she gets back half her CPs, but her Move does not improve.

The die explodes to allow for some moves to get weirdly high... otherwise, you're just saying "Maximum +6 is the real maximum"

I like this idea. short, sweet and keeps with the attribute max increase rules..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
No, I'm not. I don't see how you got the idea that it was happening mid-session out of what I wrote. While I didn't explicitly use the word training, I thought it was implied from the suggestion that we were borrowing from exceeding racial maximums for attribute rules, and spending CP to make an increase to the Move rate.
FWIW, I read what you wrote as referring to training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: