The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help wanted for a campaign :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures -> Help wanted for a campaign :) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bren
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 3482
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Personally, I take issue with the whole "your sector can be whatever you want it to be" mentality. There are certain key facts about Star Wars that make it Star Wars, and one of those is that the Empire is really big on uniformity and conformity, with ships, fighters and troops as close to identical as possible. So, saying that all of the other sectors conform to this model, EXCEPT that one right over there, throws off the whole premise of an authoritarian Empire ruling everything from the top. An Empire that permits individualization loses a key factor of the Empire itself.
I take issue with your issue. Wink

Sector forces are going to be variable because sectors vary...in population, wealth, strategic importance, political importance, speed of travel from other sectors, level of Rebel or other opposing activity in sector, and authority and political influence of the specific sector Moff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bren
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 3482
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denderan marajain wrote:
The Players should support the rebel cell mit their Battlegroups until a larger Fleet arrives to take the sector definitiveley. The Sector ist he crossroad oft wo major trade routes and the entrance into the Mid Rim. I give the players absolute freedom in what they want to do (Sandbox)
I can't speak for others, but for myself it is difficult to substantively comment on your force distributions. There are a few reasons for that.

1. You have listed quite a few ships and stations. Just wading through will weed out a lot of potential commenters.

2. Many of the ships you list are unknown to me. I’m more familiar with the Imperial Ships in the Imperial Source Book. I suspect some other posters are in the same space.

3. The number of ships and stations you list is beyond the level of forces I'd do anything with in a Star Wars D6 campaign. Even the big battle for the Liberation of Derilyn that I did as the finale to our 10-year long Star Wars campaign in Elrood sector had fewer Rebel ships and fewer Imperial ships than your outline. This means my experience isn’t very applicable to what you plan to do in your campaign.

4. The D6 game rules for quick resolution of mass fleet battles is non-existent. Therefore it is likely to either be a background to an adventure where resolution is by GM fiat or to be heavily abstracted to the point that exact ship details and even exact ship numbers don’t matter.

Quote:
What defenses (Space, Ground etc.) should have planets
Realistically planets will have defenses based on their wealth, strategic and political importance, access to defensive armaments, and their fear of attack. As a GM I’m going to consider all that but also what makes sense for providing an interesting situation for the PCs. As an example, in Rogue One I have no clue whether the shield defense for the planet with the communication tower was reasonable…BUT…dramatically it set up a situation where the PCs were on their own and help from outside was limited. As a GM I’m as concerned about the dramatic situation as I am the realism or plausibility of the defenses.
Quote:
How big, in your opinion, should be a sector fleet
Depends on the sector. I kind of answered this here and in my previous post in this thread.

Quote:
How big, in your opinion, should be an active rebel cell?
A Rebel cell will be small. The point of a cell structure is to limit damage when one part or cell of the structure is compromised. In general I’d expect a cell to be half a dozen beings or less. Coincidentally that is also about the size of a typical group of PCs.

Once question I do have on specific force deployments. Why are there no X-Wings on the Rebel side? Since the X-wing is the original, classic Star Wars starfighter it seems odd to the point of being bizarre that your Rebels don't have a single one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Grand Moff
Grand Moff


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 9632
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
I have seen tons of examples of X-wings and B-wings and especially Y-wings being used planetary defense forces and pirates.

But that's different from the Imperial Fleet, which was built around specific types. After Endor (a while after), you'd start getting more irregularity, with warlords filling in their forces with whatever they could get. But the OP said that this was occurring only 3 months after Endor in an important sector. That's not nearly enough time for the rot to set in to the point he describes in his fleet list.

Quote:
Moreover let's say I was coming up with a campaign taking place in the New Republic era of the Legends Era, if I did want to do something new and different, I could have the villain be a Rebel Commodore who defected to the Empire and turned warlord, bringing his fleet with him. I think that would be perfectly reasonable within the Legends continuity,

I disagree. Generally, people join the Alliance for a good reason, and it's highly unlikely you're going to get an entire fleet that just happens to all get disillusioned and re-defect. It's even less likely that the Empire is just going to automatically trust them and accept them back into service with their own equipment. If they went independent, it'd be more believable, and with the fractured nature of the Alliance as shown in Rogue One, it's plausible that an Alliance member government might decide post-Endor to take their toys and go home.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.


Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun May 14, 2017 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
CRMcNeill
Grand Moff
Grand Moff


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 9632
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I take issue with your issue. Wink

Mr. Green

Quote:
Sector forces are going to be variable because sectors vary...in population, wealth, strategic importance, political importance, speed of travel from other sectors, level of Rebel or other opposing activity in sector, and authority and political influence of the specific sector Moff.

Agreed; sectors aren't going to be cookie cutter copies of the ImpSB. WEG even shows this in practice, like in the Minos Cluster, where the biggest ship is a Victory-class ISD.

In fact, I don't doubt that sectors vary greatly in volume, as well. Who knows what historical pressures and events led to the layout of political bodies like sector governments, but then, look at states in the US, with as much variation in size, population, economy, etc, as Alaska, California, Texas, Rhode Island, Delaware, and so on and so forth. WEG is internally inconsistent with sector sizes, and its reasonable to assume the size of a sector fleet is going to vary based on the needs of the sector.

However, that variation is only going to expand so far. While it's reasonable to include some variety of different ship types, there is going to be a central core of ships that are common to the Imperial Navy as a whole, primarily ISDs, but also Strike cruisers, Nebulon Bs, and so forth that the Imperial Navy purchased in mass amounts.

In this case, the OP is talking about a relatively important sector at the junction of two hyperspace routes that serves as an entrance point to the Mid-Rim. This sector isn't going to lose all of its ISDs and have to make do with scraps and leftovers, especially not in just three months after Endor.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bren
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral


Joined: 19 Aug 2010
Posts: 3482
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
However, that variation is only going to expand so far. While it's reasonable to include some variety of different ship types, there is going to be a central core of ships that are common to the Imperial Navy as a whole...
I agree.

Even though I'm not too fond of several of the ships laid out in the ISB (and I think some ship types are missing) and many of the stats WEG assigned to capital ships are just wrong. But it makes sense to me that the Imperial Naval Forces in a sector will be primarily or even exclusively comprised of standard Imperial ship types. (Whatever one decides those ship types happen to be aside from the VSDs and ISDs we see in the films.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Grand Moff
Grand Moff


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 9632
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Even though I'm not too fond of several of the ships laid out in the ISB (and I think some ship types are missing) and many of the stats WEG assigned to capital ships are just wrong.

Correcting those stats and filling in the blanks of the missing ships has been a long-time project of mine, and I'm pretty close to being finished. It's a mix of ship stats created from vague references in WEG material and ships pulled in from other sources, such as the Star War: Rebellion computer strategy game and the X-Wing Armada table-top miniature game. In fact, I actually have more ships than I have slots on the existing order of battle. The various Vindicator sub-types are a prime example; I could see a use for them in my head when I thought them up, but now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what squadron mission best fits them.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 13 May 2014
Posts: 155
Location: Vienna, Austria

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear people
I am terribly sorry that I could not answer

At the moment, I am very busy But I hope to answer on Wednesday
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CRMcNeill
Grand Moff
Grand Moff


Joined: 05 Apr 2010
Posts: 9632
Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denderan marajain wrote:
Dear people
I am terribly sorry that I could not answer

At the moment, I am very busy But I hope to answer on Wednesday

No need to apologize. We have all had to face Darth Reality at one time or another.
_________________
"No set of rules can cover every situation. It's expected that you will make up new rules to suit the needs of your game." - The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, 2R&E, pg. 69, WEG, 1996.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MrNexx
Line Captain
Line Captain


Joined: 26 Mar 2016
Posts: 971
Location: Houston

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
denderan marajain wrote:
Dear people
I am terribly sorry that I could not answer

At the moment, I am very busy But I hope to answer on Wednesday

No need to apologize. We have all had to face Darth Reality at one time or another.


Darth Reality is simultaneously the s*** and the most powerful Sith Lord.
_________________
*It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of [Star Wars].
http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0