The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, spring/summer's already usually overloaded with big blockbusters. THat's why i like having ONE to look forward to around the dec time frame.

Yeah, I think I can relate to this. I was just reading about how Kung Fu Panda 3 was originally slated to come out in December 2015...right when TFA was coming out. DreamWorks understandably decided that they didn't want to have KFP 3 compete with TFA so they rescheduled KFP 3 for January 2016 instead. With the Star Wars movies coming out in December, they get added viewing if they don't have to compete with the summer blockbusters.

Besides, I think Fast and Furious 8 took the title for highest grossing movie (or some distinction or other) from TFA. I wanna see TLJ take it back. Mr. Green
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flipping through TFA Visual Dictionary, and I see that the Wookiee language has finally been named. It's called Shyriiwook. At least, that's what Chewie speaks. Maybe there are other Wookiee languages besides that one.

Is this new for TFA? I haven't seen the language be named in any other source.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
I'm flipping through TFA Visual Dictionary, and I see that the Wookiee language has finally been named. It's called Shyriiwook. At least, that's what Chewie speaks. Maybe there are other Wookiee languages besides that one.

I thought Shyriiwook was originally coined by Timothy Zane in HttH...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

I've heard the language named that long before TFA, though I can't give you a citation. The Legends page for Shyriiwook has a fair bit of sources, though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

It was named Shirrwook in a # of novels way back in the day..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually listening to The Last Command right now. I guess I just didn't notice it before.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been called Shyriiwook for a long time now. How long, I don't know, but it's been called that for years at least.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching TFA again. After being away from it for a while, I noticed that my appreciation of the film is growing. That opening scene is damned exciting (and you can tell, right off the bat, that the style of the prequels is old news and long gone--this is the new, gritty Star Wars).

I liked the film from the outset, but I've noticed that I'm becoming more familiar and accepting of the characters (I actually like Poe now, understand Lor San Tekka better). And, I'm more forgiving of the film's perceived faults (too much of a reboot of ANH).

I think the film, like the original trilogy, is just going to get better with age.

The Star Wars bug...is biting me again!

EDIT: Finn still bugs me, though. I don't really like that character, and I think my dislike is growing. I hope that they kill him off.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit, I came out of the theatre disappointed with TFA as well for the same reason: it felt like far too much of an ANH retread. But after I got it on BluRay and rewatched it a few times, it grew steadily on me since.

I don't have any problem with Finn. In fact, I enjoy all three of the main caharacters (Finn, Rey and Poe) because each of them embodies a different aspect of Luke Skywalker. Finn is the naive, untried everyman; Rey is the Force-sensitive trying to live up to the Jedi legacy; and Poe is the badass pilot who saves the galaxy from a planetkiller just when all hope seems lost.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader: "George never told you about Episodes 7, 8 & 9."

Luke: "He told me enough. He said he wasn't going to make them!"

Vader: "No; Kevin J. ANDERSON is going to make them."

Luke: "That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!"

Vader: "Watch The Force Awakens; you'll know it to be true!"

Luke: "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Vader: "George never told you about Episodes 7, 8 & 9."

Luke: "He told me enough. He said he wasn't going to make them!"

Vader: "No; Kevin J. ANDERSON is going to make them."

Luke: "That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!"

Vader: "Watch The Force Awakens; you'll know it to be true!"

Luke: "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Nothing could be worse than the prequels, you say? "Nay!" I say. What would be worse is a film penned by Kevin J. Anderson!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Nothing could be worse than the prequels, you say? "Nay!" I say. What would be worse is a film penned by Kevin J. Anderson!

If Starkiller Base doesn't qualify as a member of the Superweapon-of-the-Month Club, nothing does.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

If Starkiller Base doesn't qualify as a member of the Superweapon-of-the-Month Club, nothing does.

Yeah, but Kevin J. Anderson is so bad as a writer, ruining Dune and everything he touches. I tried to get through his Star Wars trilogy once (he named the main character Kyp--can you believe that!), and I just couldn't do it. Waste of money. Thank God they kept him away from writing more novels (though he's written some comics that aren't bad).

Being a Charter Member of the Superweapon of the Month Club is the least of KJA's crimes.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

The Starkiller is not really that comparable to the ridiculousness of Kevin J. Anderson. The thing I thought was most outrageous about his superweapon was that the ability to destroy stars fit inside a starfighter-sized ship. So instead of more power being a bigger weapon, it is exponentially minuscule compared to the Death Star. At least Starkiller went big for its big increase in power over the Death Stars: the ability to destroy distant planets through hyperspace takes a weapon the size of an Earth-sized planet (much bigger than a small moon), and it requires a star to be drained as a power source. Of course I'm not arguing that Starkiller wins any awards for plausibility (none of this stuff would), but the largely-derivative TFA would win an original superweapon award before RotJ would. Just sayin'.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

...Being a Charter Member of the Superweapon of the Month Club is the least of KJA's crimes.

Right. There's no comparison between KJA's works and TFA or the prequels.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D6 terms, what do you think the Force Power is that Kylo Ren uses to stop Poe Dameron's blaster rifle bolt right in mid air?

It's definitely governed by the Alter skill, I would say. Maybe it's a form of Telekinesis? Or, another power, all to its own, under the Alter skill?

I bet you guys have hashed this out, already, haven't ya!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: