The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

R2 D2 Brother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> R2 D2 Brother
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: R2 D2 Brother Reply with quote

I just started reading Stackpole's X-Wing Rogue Squadron, and I see that the main character, the Corellian Corran Horn, has an R2 unit. But this isn't just any R2 unit. It is also a R2-D2 droid that he calls "Whistler".

I've always wondered about Artoo's designation. Is that a production model, and there are thousands (or more) R2-D2s in the galaxy?

I never really thought that because I've never seen another R2-D2 in any novel or comic before now.

I've seen enough to know that the R2 designation is a series, but that doesn't leave a lot of droids out there in the Empire if you can designate them all with just two characters. R2-01, R2-A6, R2-99, R2-ZB, and so on.

I don't think I've ever seen this covered in any sourcebook for Star Wars, either--not anything in WEG's line up about it either.

So, what's the case? Are there thousands--tens of thousands--of R2-D2s running around? Or, are there a limited number as I explained above with all of them starting with R2 then a two alphanumeric code following?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One explanation I've heard (and I think it came out of the WEG book Cynabar's Fantastic Droids, is that every droid's, whether R-series or whatever, actual name is a really long serial number and the short 4 or 5 digit numbers we're accustomed to are just particular sections of that serial number.

Whether that's actually true or not, I couldn't say.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon, though, is established in Episode I when the Queen asks the droid's designation: R2-D2.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Canon, though, is established in Episode I when the Queen asks the droid's designation: R2-D2.

If it is standard practice for organics to shorten the droid designation in everyday referencing, then Captain Panaka may have only read part of R2-D2's designation. Please consider that "R9-D9" and "M5-BZ" are R4-units in canon. It follows that all droids have a longer designation, even in canon. So yes, there probably would be other R2-D2s, which would probably be R2-units produced in the same batch as Artoo. However to better differential between droids, it make sense for stories to not use the same designation for multiple droids, even though they do exist in the universe. But then again that could make for an interesting character...

Quote:
Capsule: R2-D2-Z7-ABX-13-OEG-42 has it rough. Ever since he was activated, he has been mistaken for the infamous rebel droid "Artoo-Deetoo"...

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Whill said +1

Quote:
Capsule: R2-D2-Z7-ABX-13-OEG-42 has it rough. Ever since he was activated, he has been mistaken for the infamous rebel droid "Artoo-Deetoo"...

Z7 should probably get rid of that blue-and-white paint job and find other colors to display. That might help with the mistaken identity issue too.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
What Whill said +1

Whill wrote:

Z7 should probably get rid of that blue-and-white paint job and find other colors to display. That might help with the mistaken identity issue too.

+2 for this R2-D2-Z7-ABX-13-OEG-42's capsule! Almost to 1D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: