The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Of canon Darksaber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Of canon Darksaber
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Of canon Darksaber Reply with quote

Quote:
Kanan: "Your thoughts, your actions they become energy. They flow through the crystal as well and become part of the blade."

This suggests that somehow a persons dreams, will and/or focus augment the Darksaber. It is unclear if this is an ability of the Darksaber or lightsabers in general. Kanan refers it to it as a lightsaber when he speaks to the holographic image of Hera. He points out that the blades attract towards each other.

It almost seems like the interaction between a Jedi and his lightsaber. We have been told repeatedly the lightsaber/kyber crystal or used by Jedi to focus the Force. Yet Kanan instructs Sabine to focus on what is important to her, her family and Mandalore. What if, what we think about the interaction between lightsaber/kyber crystal is not about focusing the Force, but it a focusing of purpose and strong feelings one has for a certain cause?

Quote:
Sabine: "The blade feels lighter."
Kanan: "You're connecting with it. Its becoming a part of you."

Kanan: "But you cannot rely solely on the blade. You must use all your skills together. Ready position."

FIREWORKS. FIREWORKS. Disarms Sabine.

Quote:
Kanan: You'll have to do better."

Sabine with a look of determination uses her Mandalorian vambraces grappling hook to snag the \Ddarksaber and pull it back into her hand.

Small flash. HUGE FIREWORKS. HUGE FIREWORKS. HUGE FIREWORKS.

Quote:
Kanan kicks out her legs, the Darksaber falls across one of Sabine's vambraces, shorting it out, as she cries out in surprise and pain.

I am not sure what the purpose of this scene is. She was connecting with the Darksaber stronger than she ever has. She is knocked to the ground and accidentally hurts herself. Is this supposed to say something about the Darksaber itself? The relationship between the user and the Darksaber? Is she relying too much on the Darkaber and not utilizing her other Mandalorian warrior skills?

Kanan continues to goad Sabine. In this entire exchange she never crosses blades with Kanan.

Quote:
Kanan: "You're not fighting me. You're fighting yourself...and losing.
Sabine: *roars in anger and frustration*
Kanan: "You're not committed to this. You should quit."
Sabine: "I don't quit, I never quit!"
Kanan: "really that's not what it looks like. You did run, didn't you?"
Sabine: No!
Kanan: "But that's what people believe isn't it?
Sabine: Roar of frustration
Kanan: "You ran from the Empire. You ran from your family."
Sabine: "Lies!"
Kanan: "Then what's the truth?!"

Blades cross, small FIREWORKS.

Quote:
Sabine: "Truth is that...I left to save everyone. My mother!"

MEDIUM FIREWORKS

Quote:
Sabine: "My father!"

MEDIUM FIREWORKS, Kanan falls to the ground.

Quote:
Sabine: "My brother!"

MEDIUM FIREWORKS

Quote:
Sabine: "Everything I did was for family!"

BIG FIREWORKS.

Quote:
Sabine: "For Mandalore!"

BIG FIREWORKS. BIG FIREWORKS.

Quote:
Sabine: "I built weapons, terrible weapons, but the Empire used them on Mandalore. On friends, on family, people that I knew. They controlled us through fear. Mandalore. Fear of weapons I helped create. I helped enslave my people."

BIG FIREWORKS. BIG FIREWORKS. BIG FIREWORKS. BIG FIREWORKS.

Quote:
Sabine: "I wanted to stop it. I had to stop it. I spoke out. I spoke out to save them. To save everyone."

Crossed blades FIREWORKS. BIG FIREWORKS.

Quote:
Sabine kicks Kanan down the cliff then leaps into the air using her jetpack. She lands, standing over Kanan, Darksaber held overhead, ready to strike the killing blow.

Sabine: But when I did...my family they didn't stand with me. They chose the empire. They left me. They gave me no choice. The Empire wanted to destroy worlds and they did. They destroyed mine."

Kanan: "The Empire rules with fear and not everyone can be as strong as you have been. You're family is in a prison, one of their own making. Its up to you to help them out of it."

These scenes and the strength of the fireworks are important, giving physical form to the emotions Sabine is going through. I find it odd that Kanan goads Sabine into a flood of emotions (Dark Side much?). Taking her from anger and frustration, to hopelessness and loss, to love and shame and finally acceptance.

The outcome is better for Sabine as a person, but, it certainly doesn't reflect Jedi teachings as I understand them.

At the end Kanan explains how the Empire rules through fear and encourages Sabine she is stronger than most and will overcome her own personal fear. Yet Sabine immediately questions why anyone would trust, believe or follow her. Which doesn't seem like the outcome a Jedi would want for a pupil.

I was really conflicted at the end of this episode after I started dissecting it. Your thoughts?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Of canon Darksaber Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Quote:
Kanan: "Your thoughts, your actions they become energy. They flow through the crystal as well and become part of the blade."

This suggests that somehow a persons dreams, will and/or focus augment the Darksaber. It is unclear if this is an ability of the Darksaber or lightsabers in general. Kanan refers it to it as a lightsaber when he speaks to the holographic image of Hera. He points out that the blades attract towards each other.

It almost seems like the interaction between a Jedi and his lightsaber. We have been told repeatedly the lightsaber/kyber crystal or used by Jedi to focus the Force. Yet Kanan instructs Sabine to focus on what is important to her, her family and Mandalore. What if, what we think about the interaction between lightsaber/kyber crystal is not about focusing the Force, but it a focusing of purpose and strong feelings one has for a certain cause?

Without context, granted, but I would almost read that, not as the blade, per se, but as part of the mental state of a martial art form. What the blade is... light, dark, metal... is irrelevant. The point is to enter the mindset where the blade is an extension of yourself.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Of canon Darksaber Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Without context, granted, but I would almost read that, not as the blade, per se, but as part of the mental state of a martial art form. What the blade is... light, dark, metal... is irrelevant. The point is to enter the mindset where the blade is an extension of yourself.

Quote:
Scene: ANTOLLON. NIGHT TIME.

Kanan: Ignite the blade.

(SABINE ACTIVATES DARKSABER)

Sabine: Whoa. It's heavier than I thought.

Kanan: Energy constantly flows through the crystal. You're not fighting with a simple blade as much as you are directing a current of power. Your thoughts, your actions, they become energy. They flow through the crystal as well, and become a part of the blade. They flow through the crystal as well, and become a part of the blade.

(KANAN ACTIVATES LIGHTSABER)

Kanan: The blades will be drawn to each other. Block high.

(BLADES CRACKLING)

Kanan: There's pull. Can you feel it? That sword is old, heavy, but powerful. Respect its strength.

There is a a watchable vidclip on Youtube for the scene: Kanan Trains Sabine
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with context (thank you for that), I can see it as being part of the meditative focus of the style, not necessarily literal truth.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Of canon Darksaber Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
... I would almost read that, not as the blade, per se, but as part of the mental state of a martial art form. What the blade is... light, dark, metal... is irrelevant. The point is to enter the mindset where the blade is an extension of yourself.

I agree completely with this. This, imho, is what is actually always meant to be conveyed by the Jedi's martial prowess. The Force allows them to make that connection. It's not about the weapon itself having any special qualities per se, but that through the Force -- or as in this example, through the self-realization that Sabine makes -- that the person is able to access greater ability and tap into their true potential. The Force -- and in Sabine's case, the admission of her long-harbored fears about her family and coming to terms with them -- is the CONDUIT, not the focal point itself.

And I made this point below via email, but will restate here, re: Kanan and Sabine training / apparent unleashing of emotion etc:

ShootingWomprats wrote:
These scenes and the strength of the fireworks are important, giving physical form to the emotions Sabine is going through. I find it odd that Kanan goads Sabine into a flood of emotions (Dark Side much?). Taking her from anger and frustration, to hopelessness and loss, to love and shame and finally acceptance.

The outcome is better for Sabine as a person, but, it certainly doesn't reflect Jedi teachings as I understand them.

I think Kanan's training of Sabine is actually quite consistent with his own experience, rather than necessarily with the Jedi approach per se. Kanan is knighted when he makes realizations about himself and about the limitations he himself did not want to admit. Similarly, Sabine begins to unlock a cohesive technique and inner strength by admitting truths to herself, and to others, that she has either long denied or long kept secret. Re: the emotional outburst side, I think it was less so harnessing anger as weapon, than it was a cathartic outlet. Sabine wasn't using the anger in the way that Luke was at the end of RotJ, but was instead letting it go, loosing it into the air as spoken word so as that those facts as denied and festering secrets no longer had power over her.

ShootingWomprats wrote:
Yet Sabine immediately questions why anyone would trust, believe or follow her. Which doesn't seem like the outcome a Jedi would want for a pupil.

These two things aren't really mutually exclusive, nor are they in opposition, as there's no "final" outcome stated in the words themselves. Sabine has made her breakthrough in admitting the truth of her inner conflict to herself (see my comments above) -- but she can certainly still question why others would doubt her because the larger context in how she is perceived by clan Wren and greater Mandalore remains. Hence, Kanan, Fenn Rau and Ezra's symbolic demonstration, in kneeling, that they would follow her, to assuage / address that concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: