The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Modular Taskforce Cruiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Modular Taskforce Cruiser Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
How about cloning for replacement body parts and organs. Troops sometimes get injuries bacta can't fix and wounded get cybernetics.

Cloning for body parts and organs would give medical personnel the ability to replace missing limbs and organs without any possibility of the patients body rejecting them.

I like the concept, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not it would be a stand-alone ship, or a feature folded into the existing hospital ship module.

It also brings up the limits of cloning technology. I think cloning organs is an excellent mainstream use of the technology, but how long does it take to grow an organ? Does it have to grow at a normal pace, or can it be grown using accelerated growth techniques, ala the Clone Troopers? If it can be accelerated, can the acceleration process be slowed on implantation, or will the organ continue to age rapidly, eventually wearing out and requiring another replacement?

If the cloning tech was going to be available to the general public under a government like the New Republic I'd say the tech wouldn't be approved until it was safe.

Under the Empire if it's only available for military use, I'd say the Empire wouldn't care if the limbs/organs needed to be replaced every ten or twenty years. Most recipients would be dead or discharged by then.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then we must take cybernetics into account. If cloned parts are available, and quickly, why bother with cybernetics in the short term? The more I think about, the more I lean towards making cloned parts available in the long term (after a suitable length of time for the part to grow to maturity), with cybernetics used in the interim.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
But then we must take cybernetics into account. If cloned parts are available, and quickly, why bother with cybernetics in the short term? The more I think about, the more I lean towards making cloned parts available in the long term (after a suitable length of time for the part to grow to maturity), with cybernetics used in the interim.

You said it yourself. Availability, (and price). The rebellion and New Republic was always strapped for cash so cybernetics was always cheaper.

The Empire on the other hand was flush with cash tossing Googolplexians on building death stars, world devastators, and larger and larger SSD's. So they could easily have a project designing and developing cloned body parts.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, tissue typing. If you have a genetically homogenous fighting force - as the Clone Army is likely to be - it makes more sense to develop all the infrastructure needed to clone organs and body parts. If you have something that is more genetically diverse - and perhaps with a large set of aliens with a variety of special considerations that needs to be made, such as the Rebels have - then cybernetics makes more sense. Metal don't have tissue types, yo.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
The Empire on the other hand was flush with cash tossing Googolplexians on building death stars, world devastators, and larger and larger SSD's. So they could easily have a project designing and developing cloned body parts.

But that's not how the Empire views its personnel. Low level spacers, pilots and troopers are generally considered expendable, disposable and replaceable. They wouldn't shell out the big creds for a project like this on their little guys.

Now, if it were for their VIPs, I could see it. Maybe something like The Island, where Imperial VIPs have clones working in a facility somewhere, who are then harvested for cloned parts if the original has a sudden health emergency. In fact...

But to get back on topic, I don't see any in-universe evidence that cloning would be a rapid process, and since the Taskforce Cruiser is designed to be rapidly converted to perform temporary support missions on an as-needed basis, I just don't think cloning is a good fit. Much like the mining ship conversation a few pages back, I think a cloning platform is more likely to be a purpose-built platform used for long term operations. YMMV.

ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
Also, tissue typing. If you have a genetically homogenous fighting force - as the Clone Army is likely to be - it makes more sense to develop all the infrastructure needed to clone organs and body parts. If you have something that is more genetically diverse - and perhaps with a large set of aliens with a variety of special considerations that needs to be made, such as the Rebels have - then cybernetics makes more sense. Metal don't have tissue types, yo.

That's where I'm thinking the research would originally stem from.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:

But that's not how the Empire views its personnel. Low level spacers, pilots and troopers are generally considered expendable, disposable and replaceable. They wouldn't shell out the big creds for a project like this on their little guys.

Now, if it were for their VIPs, I could see it. Maybe something like The Island, where Imperial VIPs have clones working in a facility somewhere, who are then harvested for cloned parts if the original has a sudden health emergency. In fact...

But to get back on topic, I don't see any in-universe evidence that cloning would be a rapid process, and since the Taskforce Cruiser is designed to be rapidly converted to perform temporary support missions on an as-needed basis, I just don't think cloning is a good fit. Much like the mining ship conversation a few pages back, I think a cloning platform is more likely to be a purpose-built platform used for long term operations. YMMV.

Well it was just an idea to kick around.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ships make sense in the Rise of the Empire era for me. Not just limited to Dark Empire. I'm streamlining the Imperial ships and vehicles in my game and this one covers a lot of needs.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
These ships make sense in the Rise of the Empire era for me. Not just limited to Dark Empire. I'm streamlining the Imperial ships and vehicles in my game and this one covers a lot of needs.

Agreed. These ships are just too useful not to have. They're the very embodiment of the old warfare adage: "Amateurs study tactics. Experts study logistics."

For any of you who have read the James Campbell Lost Fleet series, you know the truth of this adage when you remember what the most heavily protected ships in the fleet were: not Jack Geary's flagship or his most powerful warships, but the auxiliary/repair ships.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

I agree. In fact...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added the Fabrication, Tender, Recreation and Training modules to the Module List on page 1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: