The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial E-XD Infiltrator Droid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Imperial E-XD Infiltrator Droid Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
We can also hand-wave it because the proton warhead went off in an entire room full of other droids of that type. It would not be unreasonable to assume that the explosion was originally quite a bit smaller, but the detonation of dozens if not hundreds of them in close proximity ballooned it near-instantly to the point that it basically destroyed the ship it was on.

That is a great idea. I had not thought of that!!! Going back and watching the scene. There are six Infiltration Pods docked to the ISD I. When the next scene starts we see three E-XDs walking away.

Going through the footage it looks like three similar, but smaller blasts take place. The forth is on the dorsal side and actually appears and the timing suggests it was a secondary explosion probably caused by the initial explosions.

I am again, open to suggestions. Though the 400m explosive radius does fit the quick math.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Going back and reviewing the footage of SWRe 3.14 "Warhead" ... I am willing to hand wave this ...

In the Star Wars films a Jedi Master can only get through a blast door with a lightsaber slowly, but in Rebels a 15 year-old padawan of a padawan can quickly cut through the outer hull of a star destroyer like it's butter. Isn't the entire Rebels series one giant handwave?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In the Star Wars films a Jedi Master can only get through a blast door with a lightsaber slowly, but in Rebels a 15 year-old padawan of a padawan can quickly cut through the outer hull of a star destroyer like it's butter. Isn't the entire Rebels series one giant handwave?

Perhaps it can seem that way, but again, I am aware of your dislike for the animated series. To be honest, your bias may not be good barometer for commenting on the show.

I am trying to find the episode you are referring to. It can easily be explained that he had to cut through multiple layers of hull-plating and that the viewer only sees the last one he cuts through.

One last point, in SWRe, Ezra cuts using the blade, cutting a circle. In TPM, Qui-Gon uses his lightsaber to melt a hole through the door. One could argue that cutting is more effective.

So in summation, Ezra was cutting, not melting, cut through a thickness almost half of what Qui-Gon cut through, and cut through a material that was more that was not as strong as the blast door on the ship in TPM.

Anyway, I am not looking to to convert you to liking SWRe. People either like or they do not. I appreciate your comments and respect your decision not to watch the show.

EDIT:
I think I found the episode you are referring to, its SWRe 1.13 "Fire Across the Galaxy". Ezra does cut through a very thick wall, but it is not the ships hull. You can see in the background, its another room or hallway. It appears to be about 10" thick. Since when Zeb walks though his feet hang over the edge. Unless of course Zeb has like size 20 feet, which I suppose he could.

Ezra's lightsaber doesn't appear to go that far through the wall, we only see a few inches of the tip. The standard length of a lightsaber blade is 36". So if the blade goes 6" though the wall, the wall is 10", hell lets go 15" thick, that's a total of 25" of blade, leaving nearly a foot of blade.

In TPH, Qui-Gon's blade does not go all the way through the door. In fact, when the door on the inside begins to melt and fall away, we still do not see the blade. One can infer since the blade was buried to the hilt and did not pierce the door, it has to be more than 36" thick. In fact I would add another 6" for the mechanism he is trying to burn his way through. Making it in fact a 42" door.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
[...Making it in fact a 42" door.

Kevin Flynn in "Tron" wrote:
Now that is a big door.

Sam Flynn in "Tron: Legacy" wrote:
Now that's a big door.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
We can also hand-wave it because the proton warhead went off in an entire room full of other droids of that type. It would not be unreasonable to assume that the explosion was originally quite a bit smaller, but the detonation of dozens if not hundreds of them in close proximity ballooned it near-instantly to the point that it basically destroyed the ship it was on.

Very true. Just one bomb might only be TD level. BUT in a room of dozens of others, that can combine to be a BIG BOOM!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rebels Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I think I found the episode you are referring to, its SWRe 1.13 "Fire Across the Galaxy"...

Yep, that's the episode I was referring to. You may be right about everything you said regarding that Rebels episode and TPM. Unfortunately that episode is one of the few episodes that accidentally got deleted from the DVR so I can't go back and check it. I couldn't find any clips of that part of that episode on YouTube either. My impression from the episode was that they landed a ship on the hull of the star destroyer Kanan was being held on, and then Ezra cut his way into the star destroyer from the outside of it, which would mean he cut through the hull. So in my memory the room behind them would have been the airlock of the ship they been on (and the star destroyer hull was not as thick as it should have been). But they still had to get into the ship somehow, and I doubt you could just land on an Imperial star destroyer and open an outer airlock. (But in Rebels maybe you can.) But it seems strange that you could walk into the star destroyer from outside with no trouble and then have some other obstacle that you would have to use a lightsaber to get through, and if not then he probably would have had to use the lightsaber to get in also, even if that part wasn't shown.

shootingwomprats wrote:
I appreciate your comments

That's nice of you to say. Thanks.

shootingwomprats wrote:
To be honest, your bias may not be good barometer for commenting on the show...

Isn't that a bit harsh? My biases regarding the show disqualify my comments from being applicable to a conversation about it? I'm the one that tries to prevent all-out bash fests on this board. But as always, dissenting opinions are allowed. Nothing I've posted is overly negative or could be considered bashing.

My emotional barometer indicates I'm not feeling very appreciated by your comment here, but don't worry, I'll get over it.

shootingwomprats wrote:
but again, I am aware of your dislike for the animated series

again? To what other conversation are you referring? You were replying to my only post in this thread before this one.

shootingwomprats wrote:
People either like or they do not.

I disagree. This statement is a polarizing oversimplification. There are other opinions besides "Like? Check Yes or No."

shootingwomprats wrote:
I... respect your decision not to watch the show.

Huh?! Not watch the show?! My son and I watch it religiously! I have seen EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE. I still have almost the entire series saved on the DVR! When we get rid of the DVR, I will probably will get the series on DVD. And I read about the animated series (and many things Star Wars) a lot. Disagree or not, my opinions of Rebels (and Star Wars in general) are mostly extremely educated ones.

shootingwomprats wrote:
I am aware of your dislike for the animated series... I am not looking to to convert you to liking SWRe

You're awareness of my likes and dislikes regarding this show is extremely lacking. As I have stated elsewhere on this board, I like and enjoy the show for what it is, a kiddie Star Wars show (I watch with my 7 year-old son). The WEG influences bring warm feelings to my heart. The space battles are cool sometimes. The lightsaber battles are cool sometimes. Some of the other action is cool. It's got some cool ideas and inspirations for the RPG. And other times the show is ridiculously silly, even for Star Wars.

The only real issue I have with TCW and Rebels, and all the other non-film canon, is related to the fact that they are equally canon with the films. In the old franchise (through 2005 anyway), for the most part Lucas ignored the EU. He was in no way beholden to it. And when he contradicted the EU, the EU was retconned. Very little of the EU made its way into film canon (and I have no issue with any that did), but overall it was a one-way street from the films to the EU. I like that because of my pro-film bias, which I have made no secret of. In the current franchise, at least on paper, all canon media is equal to the films. Since the new non-film canon is really no better in quality and consistency than the EU was, I fear contamination of the silly stuff into the film that was just not possible before 2006. So far so good (I do like of all the cartoon continuity in Rogue One), but I still dread what could be.

For you see, the only real problem I have with Star Wars Rebels is the continuity status that it officially takes place in the same universe as the films. In my personal SWU, an alternate version of SW Rebels does exist. All the stuff in Rebels that contradicts my perception of the verisimilitude of the Star Wars universe as shown in the films is altered or eliminated from my SWU.

shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill wrote:
Isn't the entire Rebels series one giant handwave?

Perhaps it can seem that way

Seem? That's an understatement! But I have no interest in producing a long list of all the many things in Rebels that contradict the reality of the films to argue a "case" for my opinion or anything like that. That would be excessive criticism and pointless anyway. If you enjoy Rebels more than I do, then more power to you. Honestly, I'm a little jealous. I want to enjoy it even more than I do. I'll counter your statement about liking Rebels or not with one that I feel has a much greater degree of truth:
    One can either completely suspend disbelief that Rebels takes place in the same universe as the films, or one can't (completely).
Womprat, you may be close to the first one, and I am definitely in the second one. Regardless of its canon-status, Rebels it what it is, but I can't help but wonder if I might appreciate the series a bit more than I do if it was officially said to take place in an alternate universe of the films. How I try to appreciate it is by trying to forget about the films when I watch it. But I'm sorry that I just can't not disagree when someone cites Rebels as speaking to the "reality" of the Star Wars universe.

Anyway, I hope it is boldly clear that I do watch the show I do not simply dislike the show. And you know something Rebels-related I love? All your RPG stats and capsules. I may not use it all, but I love what you do. Looking forward to the next season guide and whatever else you do, even if I don't always agree.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rebels Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
And you know something Rebels-related I love? All your RPG stats and capsules. I may not use it all, but I love what you do. Looking forward to the next season guide and whatever else you do, even if I don't always agree.

Thank you Whill. SWRe2 has been stalled only because we were having issues with the PoD file. We have the issue tracked down, we think. Now its just a matter of the layout person having time to fix it. Once that is done, we will release that sourcebook.

SWRe3 sourcebook is gearing up and no idea when that will done. GG: R1 is nearly ready for first edit. GG: RotS has not seen any appreciable forward movement. I know others are working on projects, but I am thinking that project might be cursed.

Once I get these other projects done, we will be returning to SWDr.

Some projects on down the road are SW: TCW+TCW, some stuff from the current comics, several of the books that have come out over the last two years, and somewhere in there get our Star Wars D6 Organized Play up and running.

Always busy on this end =)
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rebels Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Whill wrote:
And you know something Rebels-related I love? All your RPG stats and capsules. I may not use it all, but I love what you do. Looking forward to the next season guide and whatever else you do, even if I don't always agree.

Thank you Whill. SWRe2 has been stalled only because we were having issues with the PoD file. We have the issue tracked down, we think. Now its just a matter of the layout person having time to fix it. Once that is done, we will release that sourcebook.

SWRe3 sourcebook is gearing up and no idea when that will done. GG: R1 is nearly ready for first edit. GG: RotS has not seen any appreciable forward movement. I know others are working on projects, but I am thinking that project might be cursed.

Once I get these other projects done, we will be returning to SWDr.

Some projects on down the road are SW: TCW+TCW, some stuff from the current comics, several of the books that have come out over the last two years, and somewhere in there get our Star Wars D6 Organized Play up and running.

Always busy on this end =)

And as for the Legacy of the Force fanbook, Treefrog and I have made some amazing progress in the last couple of months. I just finished editing the first draft and partial edits of the second draft have already begun. New planet and character pics have been added that were missing from the first draft and more are being added as we speak, so the second draft looks ALOT prettier than the first, and the third draft will be even better. (I have no idea how it will compare to Womp Rat Press products because I have no prior experience with making fanbooks, but, thanks to my grammar nazi tendencies, I do know how to edit.)

Not bad for a project that only 4 months ago was deemed dead and gone.
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Scots Dragon was in the truth.

in real life some battleship was entirely destroyed by a lucky shoot. Look Bismack versus Hood

if this droid was in a critical zone (same droids storage, munitions storage or fuel tank) thas could explain why empire lose a star destroyer.

Is not an irrévelence or a non sense for me.

and the more important : Trust the Force
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: