The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alien species molded after a constriction snake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alien species molded after a constriction snake
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Alien species molded after a constriction snake Reply with quote

I was thinking of makinga a pythonlike species and was wondering how would you treata constriction attack? I want an attack thats harder and harder to escape from as time goes on. Mabye start with Str-1D then the attacks stenght and escape difficulty goes up by +1 pip each round?to a max of str+2D or 3D? While the ayyack is ongoing no other constriction attacks may be made and the character is unable to doge additional attacks but may parry them. Also i want them cold blooded -1D to all attributer per 5 degrees celcius under 10 degrees celcius. when an attribute reaches zero the charachter dies in stammina hours unless he manages a relevant survival roll, then he only goes into hibrenation for a period of time. Also due to the forked tounge +2D to seach but cannot hear sounds only feel vibrations. How does that sound?

You may fire when ready
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you necessarily need an increase mechanic... the attack would get harder to get free from each round due to increasing damage penalties, and accumulating Stuns would eventually lead to unconsciousness, even if there's a relative parity. Core R&E doesn't have a good grappling system, but I would say an Easy or Moderate Brawling attack would be necessary to initiate the grapple, with Brawling v. Brawling or Brawling Parry rolls each round to get out of it. Make the damage something like Strength + 1D, and only allow half of physical armor to apply.

For the cold-blooded, what if it instead did stun damage every (time period)? So, if the temperature gets below 10*C, they take 3D stun damage every hour... they can still function for a long time, but are going to keep getting stunned, and the stuns don't go away until they warm up. Every 5*C less, you ramp up the stun damage... so at 5*C, they're taking 4D stun, and 0* 5D stun, etc. Get too many stuns, and you go unconscious.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know either but according to my resarch the harder you fight against a Python the harder it squeeses, therefor my idea of an increasingly hard squeeze. I do Like the stun idea but still -1D to all stats as temperature goes under 0 Degrees celcius sounds workable. Also mabye som bounuse to hide, swim and climbing might be i order but im not sure i would not make the speices really overpowerd. Also can move at full move in water but only half on land perhasp?

You may fire when ready
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noctum_carpe wrote:
Dont know either but according to my resarch the harder you fight against a Python the harder it squeeses, therefor my idea of an increasingly hard squeeze. I do Like the stun idea but still -1D to all stats as temperature goes under 0 Degrees celcius sounds workable. Also mabye som bounuse to hide, swim and climbing might be i order but im not sure i would not make the speices really overpowerd. Also can move at full move in water but only half on land perhasp?

Let's start from Stats, and work from there. I am assuming a two-armed, zero-legged snake people, but correct me if I'm wrong.

DEX 2D/4D
KNO 2D/4D
MCH 2D/4D
PER 2D/4D
STR 2D/4D
TCH 2D/4D

Ok, we start with the standard array of human stats; you might want a different array, and that's cool, but I find human standard to be a good place to start. What are they better at? What are they worse at? Since they're python-like, you might want to make them Stronger, but I wouldn't lean towards additional Dexterity.

Move: 5/8
Size: Rear up to 1.5m, but usually ~5-6m long

Riffing off your "Half speed on land", I gave them half the normal speed, but improvable.

Special Abilities:
*Semi-Aquatic: Pythonoids are a semi-aquatic, semi-aboreal species, adept at both swimming and climbing, but relatively ungainly on dry land. They receive +2D to both their Climbing (not jumping) and Swimming skills, and +2 to movement when climbing or swimming. They also add their Strength die code from the 2D roll to determine if they have drowned (so a pythonoid with a 4D strength will roll 2D and add 4, only dying of drowning if that total exceeds the number of rounds they have been drowning). However, they are -1D on Running skill checks.
*Constriction: Primitive pythonoids were ambush hunters who killed by constriction. With a Moderate Brawling check, Pythonoids can wrap a creature smaller than themselves in a crushing embrace, inflicting Str + 1D damage every round. Each round, the victim may attempt a Brawling or Brawling Parry action against the Pythonoids Brawling score to break free. Maintaining the embrace does not require an action from the Pythonoid, but they are -2D to Dodge while wrapped around their target.
*Sound and Scent: Pythonoids do not hear as most races do; they receive a -2D penalty to all Perception checks based solely on sound. However, their sensitive tongues can pick up many scents from the air, giving them a +2D if the Perception test involves only scent; on aggregate, they have no modifier to Perception tests that involve multiple senses.
*Cold Blooded: Pythonoids are exothermic creatures; they rely on environmental heat, rather than producing it themselves. In Temperate conditions, they are uncomfortable, but can function. In Cool conditions, they have a -1D to all attributes as they are sluggish and slow of thought; a Moderate Stamina roll may be made every hour to overcome this sluggishness for ten minutes at a time (but only for ten minutes out of each hour). They cannot abide Frigid conditions without external heating; within the first hour of exposure, they must make a Moderate Stamina roll or simply lapse into a hibernating state; the roll becomes one category more difficult each hour, while all die codes (including Stamina) reduce by 1D each hour. Once hibernating, they can survive for a number of days equal to their Stamina die code, after which they will freeze to death.

It leaves out your plan of the increasing constriction as the person struggles, but I see that as a pain to implement. It also makes the Cold Blooded less dependant on actual temperature, and more dependent on the broad categories of environments that R&E already uses. On balance, without modifiers to stats, they're slower than humans, but good climbers and swimmers. They don't have a hide bonus, but their senses work well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the constriction, i would have it start at Str, and inc +1 pip cumulative a round up to Str+3d myself.

Also on the penalty/no dodge angle. If they are wrapped around someone, how Could they even dodge out of the path? BUT I can also see it that "any strike against a constricter has a chance of damaging the person behind held. Roll a d6 and on a 1 or 2, the attack misses the constricter and hits the held target, on a 3-6 it hits the snake.

Also the aliens book has the following snake like races for inspiration; Ipharian-Da’Lor, also the Krikthasi, then there's also the Laboi, you also have Sluissi, and the Ssither. Though none of those list anything for constricting..

For constricting info, the following race in that aliens guide has a constricting attack..
Thisspian
Special Abilities:
Constrict: On a successful brawling skill roll made to
grapple, a Thisspian can wrap its prehensile tail around an
opponent. In subsequent rounds, it can inflict its Strength
+1D+1 with a constricting attack. An opponent so ensnared
can escape, but must do so with an opposed Strength roll.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many good ideas thx a lot pepole, also thx for writing mye ideas more fluently as you might guess english is not my native tounge. So sometimes i lack a lot of words. Anyhow i should be able to put something relvant toughather now. Very Happy

You may fire when ready
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noctum_carpe wrote:
Many good ideas thx a lot pepole, also thx for writing mye ideas more fluently as you might guess english is not my native tounge. So sometimes i lack a lot of words. Anyhow i should be able to put something relvant toughather now. Very Happy

It's the internet; assuming English is someone's first language, especially when they list their location as Sweden, is simply stupid. Wink I wouldn't do half so well in German or Spanish, and I actually kinda know some of those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: