The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

R-Series Move stat discrepancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> R-Series Move stat discrepancy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: R-Series Move stat discrepancy Reply with quote

Ok, so here are the Move stats for each of the astromech R-Series droids. All are from Gry Sarth's Droids conversion book unless otherwise noted:

R2: 5
R3: 5
R4: 8
R5: 5
R6: 10(!)
R7: 10(!)
R8: 6 (Source: D6 Conversion of Scavenger's Guide to Droids)
R9: 5 (Source: D6 Holocron Wiki)

So my question is, are these feasibly correct? Can an astromech even move at Move 10? We saw BB-8 move that fast, but could an R-Series even move as fast as a human?

The only time I ever saw R2-D2 move that fast was on an episode of Sesame Street! (Seriously, I remember him zipping offscreen faster than a human could run.)

And that episode must have been 37 years ago!
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: R-Series Move stat discrepancy Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Ok, so here are the Move stats for each of the astromech R-Series droids. All are from Gry Sarth's Droids conversion book unless otherwise noted:

R2: 5
R3: 5
R4: 8
R5: 5
R6: 10(!)
R7: 10(!)
R8: 6 (Source: D6 Conversion of Scavenger's Guide to Droids)
R9: 5 (Source: D6 Holocron Wiki)

So my question is, are these feasibly correct? Can an astromech even move at Move 10? We saw BB-8 move that fast, but could an R-Series even move as fast as a human?

The only time I ever saw R2-D2 move that fast was on an episode of Sesame Street! (Seriously, I remember him zipping offscreen faster than a human could run.)

And that episode must have been 37 years ago!

Wow, even the 8 for the R4 seems implausible if the majority of the R-series droids have Move 5. And there's no fluff text in their write-ups that might suggest why the R4, R6 and R7 models in particular were so fast, eh?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's not a single peep about the Move rates in any of the write-ups. There's no reasonable explanation for why the R6 and R7 have Move rates of 10. Seriously, an R-Series droid moving as fast as a human? That's like Communism: it sounds nice in theory, but good luck getting it to work in practice.

It's stuff like this that is making the Droids chapter of the Legacy of the Force fanbook such a headache to edit. To say nothing of differing skill sets between the different sources for each droid. The Adventure Journal #7 and the Gry Sarth Droids book disagree about certain skills. My solution was just to include every skill mentioned in both books and if there is a conflict in dice codes between a skill mentioned in both books, I go with the higher dice code.

As for the Move issue, I think I'm just gonna give the R6, R7, R8 and R9 each a Move of 6 and call it a night.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prob shift them all to 5 myself..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with garhkal.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what Treefrog decided for the LotF Droids chapter. The R6, R7, R8 and R9 are all going to have an astromech standard of Move 5. I had suggested that the R6s and above could possibly have a Move 6 as they were more modern droids, but Treefrog, as is his right, overruled me. Not that I mind; a standard Move 5 for astromechs makes perfect sense.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complicate things a bit: I'd think R2 is faster than 3P0, and if Im not mistaken, 3P0 has a move of 8...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Just to complicate things a bit: I'd think R2 is faster than 3P0, and if Im not mistaken, 3P0 has a move of 8...

Threepio should be slower too. He was probably moving as fast as he could in Echo Base when Han told him to hurry up if he didn't want to be left behind. He just couldn't keep up with them. Of course another thing to consider is what move speeds the character can successfully achieve. Artoo seems more sure-footed than Threepio so he may have a lower Move score but can achieve a higher total speed by virtue of a higher Running (Rolling?) skill. Or maybe Threepio should have a limitation of not being able to move All-Out at all.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Naaman wrote:

Threepio should be slower too. He was probably moving as fast as he could in Echo Base when Han told him to hurry up if he didn't want to be left behind. He just couldn't keep up with them. Of course another thing to consider is what move speeds the character can successfully achieve. Artoo seems more sure-footed than Threepio so he may have a lower Move score but can achieve a higher total speed by virtue of a higher Running (Rolling?) skill. Or maybe Threepio should have a limitation of not being able to move All-Out at all.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
They all know that I be ridin' chirpy. Wink

However, this thread reminds me "This is why you benchmark, folks."
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
They see me rollin'
They hatin'
They all know that I be ridin' chirpy.

Haha! Thanks for that.

And on a perhaps related note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UNzfDkxuM

Although Artoo winds up moonwalking above (it was the 80's after all),
I can see him bouncin' on some hydraulics had the song been different....

And yes, the lack of benchmarks in old WEG is of course a shame.
Didn't even abide by the die code levels of skill chart in their own rulebook! Ah well.

I do think that Whill is right, in that R2 may well have had the lower Move score but the higher DEX and "running" skill
-- though their official stats, alas, do not concur.

(Speaking of the Droids cartoon, 3PO is pretty mobile therein,
beast riding and what not, and the 8 Move fits better in the more loosey-goosey animated context).
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
And on a perhaps related note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UNzfDkxuM

Although Artoo winds up moonwalking above (it was the 80's after all),
I can see him bouncin' on some hydraulics had the song been different....

SWEET MERCIFUL ASHLA, MY EYES!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I remember that I watched the old 80s Droids cartoon, and seeing R2 doing the moonwalk seems vaguely familiar even if I don't remember this particular scene.

One other thing: a Star Wars jukebox...how quaint. Shocked Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: