The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: The Clone Wars leaving Netflix on 7 Mar 2017.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars: The Clone Wars leaving Netflix on 7 Mar 2017.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Star Wars: The Clone Wars leaving Netflix on 7 Mar 2017. Reply with quote

Just what the title says. Here's a link to a story:

http://dorksideoftheforce.com/2017/02/05/star-wars-clone-wars-series-leaving-netflix-march/

Better get your cramming in! Before Disney charges us mad bucks to get the series on disc...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: TCW Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
This Clone Wars marathon is just so looooong....

To say nothing of the fact that I enjoy Rebels more than Clone Wars, so even though I want to finish watching all of TCW, I'm not all that enthused to do so. Sad

Raven Redstar wrote:
I found that Clone Wars took a little bit to get its feet on solid ground, and then the show really took off.

Ahsoka started out as my most hated character (right up there with Jar Jar) but by the end of the series, she had become by far one of my favorites.

I've never hated Jar Jar, but I've always hated the idea that Anakin was promoted to Knight and assigned his own padawan to train a month after the traumatic experience he had in AotC (which Yoda felt as "terrible pain" literally across the galaxy). And, the way she holds her lightsaber is stupid. Otherwise, I have nothing against the character.

My son has TCW "movie" and I caught various episodes when the show was on. I have Netflix.

I'm going to give TCW another chance. I'm not watching the whole series, but I have selected five 3-4 episode story arcs to watch over the next four weeks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the Geonosis Arc. I still got a ways to go to finish watching everything. Time to put my time in.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should be more exact and say that I found Ahsoka's character to be one of the more annoying at the beginning of TCW, just like Jar Jar.

Hate was a rather strong word for a character that I just felt was super annoying whenever he spoke.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Hate was a rather strong word for a character that I just felt was super annoying whenever he spoke.

Meesa love da Gungans mooie mooie!

Just kidding. I just don't have the problem with Jar Jar that most fans in my generation do. I appreciate your clarification that your feeling about Jar Jar is annoyance rather than hatred.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
I suppose I should be more exact and say that I found Ahsoka's character to be one of the more annoying at the beginning of TCW, just like Jar Jar.

Meesa love da Gungans mooie mooie!

Just kidding. I just don't have the problem with Jar Jar that most fans in my generation do. I appreciate your clarification that your feeling about Jar Jar is annoyance rather than hatred.

I found Jar Jar only slightly-to-middling annoying. I thought the fan hate for him was far too disproportionate and I was actually disappointed that Jar Jar only got the "Excuse me" line in RotS. Then again, Lucas was about to Shoo Out the Clowns to appropriately up the drama, so this wasn't only about Jar Jar being The Scrappy. It was 50% of both tropes.

As for Ahsoka, I saw her as a badass mature Jedi Knight in Rebels before I saw her as a Tagalong Kid deservedly snarking back at Anakin Skywalker, so any possibility of seeing her as The Scrappy once I started watching TCW became distinctly remote.

And I think I remember seeing that while Ahsoka's story isn't going to be revisited on Rebels anytime soon, David Filoni (or was it Pablo Hidalgo?) has gone on record that Ahsoka's story might be revisited on Rebels, but if it happens, it won't be anytime soon (which is fine by me as long as it's saved for the appropriately dramatic moment).
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I somewhat enjoyed in the Clone Wars was seeing just how many abuser red flags Anakin threw up. Like. All of them. Jealous, possessive, constantly crossing even clear boundaries...
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixed feelings on the series. Some of the story arcs were terrific while (a lot) of others fell flat for me.

However, the show being on Netflix stopped me from buying the series on disc past S2, so I guess I better get back on that...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the synopses of the entire series, below are the episodes that I chose to (re)watch recently. I've also seen parts of several other episodes as my son is going through the series (there's one on right now).

0 TCW “movie”
3 "Supply Lines"
1 “Lair of Grievous” / “Trespass”
1 ”Storm Over Ryloth" / “Innocents of Ryloth" / "Liberty on Ryloth"
3 “Sphere of Influence”
4 "Water War" / "Gungan Attack" / "Prisoners"
5 "A War on Two Fronts" / “Front Runners" / “The Soft War" / “Tipping Points"
5 ”Sabotage" / "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much" / "To Catch a Jedi" / "The Wrong Jedi"
6 "The Lost One" / “Voices” / "Destiny" / "Sacrifice"

A couple questions:

By the end of AotC, Artoo still belonged to Padme and Threepio belonged to Anakin. By RotS, R2 belonged to Anakin (or perhaps the Jedi order) and 3PO belonged to Padme (logically). That suggests a trade occurred. (I like to think that giving each other their droid was their "wedding gifts" to each other.) Was it ever addressed in an episode I haven't seen how and why R2 and Threepio individually go back and forth from Jedi control to Padme's control throughout the war?

How do the Mon Calamari and Quarren (and the Separatist shark-guy general) talk underwater?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
A couple questions:

By the end of AotC, Artoo still belonged to Padme and Threepio belonged to Anakin. By RotS, R2 belonged to Anakin (or perhaps the Jedi order) and 3PO belonged to Padme (logically). That suggests a trade occurred. (I like to think that giving each other their droid was their "wedding gifts" to each other.) Was it ever addressed in an episode I haven't seen how and why R2 and Threepio individually go back and forth from Jedi control to Padme's control throughout the war?

In the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, there's a part which talks about this, where Anakin and Padme didn't get to exchange wedding gifts as they got married quickly and secretly. But sometime during the Clone War (it doesn't say exactly when), Anakin decides to give Threepio to Padme because "what would a Jedi need with a protocol droid?" Not long after that, Padme gives Artoo to Anakin because, after all, "what would a Senator need with an astromech?" Their exchange of the droids basically was a belated exchange of wedding gifts.

Interestingly enough, it's implied that the droids are fine with this exchange of masters because they each know that they serve kind masters who will meet again often in the future, so the droids know they'll see each other again no matter how many times they are separated.

Whill wrote:
How do the Mon Calamari and Quarren (and the Separatist shark-guy general) talk underwater?

Well, sound travels better underwater than in air so maybe the Mon Cals and Quarren sing to each other like whales? Mr. Green
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Well, sound travels better underwater than in air so maybe the Mon Cals and Quarren sing to each other like whales? Mr. Green

The "whalesong" sounds just like normal talking in air. I'll have to look up how real life aquatic life makes sound. We generate sound by forcing air through vocal cords. If some gas was being pushed through their throats, where is the gas being stored and why aren't their bubbles coming out and going up, just like if we exhale underwater? Sound may travel better underwater but it is still extremely difficult to understand someone trying to talk underwater.

Nautolans communicate with each other underwater with pheromones. My wife is fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and works at a Deaf School, so I was inspired by that to devise that Quarren have a sign language they use to communicate under water, "QSL". But on TCW, Quarren, Mon Cals, Nautolans, Gungans and the shark guy just talk underwater like they are in air. Out of all those, Jar Jar did say he couldn't always understand very well.

Sutehp wrote:
In the novelization of Revenge of the Sith, there's a part which talks about this, where Anakin and Padme didn't get to exchange wedding gifts as they got married quickly and secretly. But sometime during the Clone War (it doesn't say exactly when), Anakin decides to give Threepio to Padme because "what would a Jedi need with a protocol droid?" Not long after that, Padme gives Artoo to Anakin because, after all, "what would a Senator need with an astromech?" Their exchange of the droids basically was a belated exchange of wedding gifts.

Interestingly enough, it's implied that the droids are fine with this exchange of masters because they each know that they serve kind masters who will meet again often in the future, so the droids know they'll see each other again no matter how many times they are separated.

I do appreciate your reply and that all makes a lot of sense to me. But that speaks to the one-time exchange which I already believed happened (probably from the RotS novelization I read the summer of 2005).

This was my actual question (I don't think I worded it very well)...

Whill wrote:
Was it ever addressed in an episode I haven't seen how and why R2 and Threepio individually go back and forth from Jedi control to Padme's control throughout the war?

On the show, the droids are sometimes together and sometimes aren't. From appearance to appearance, one or both of the droids just start out as being with Padme or with Anakin. They both seem to jump back and forth from master to master many times throughout the Clone Wars. It's more than just 'sometime their respective masters come together so the droids are temporarily reunited.' I swear there have been times when Padme is not in the story but 3PO is with Anakin, or Anakin is not in the story and R2 is back with Padme. It seems odd to me that the droids just keep going back and forth multiple times in the war instead of just the one time exchange. But I thought I would ask if it was ever addressed in an episode I haven't seen. If not it seems just like a lazy scriptwriting to just have the droids be with whomever without explanation as required by the plot.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Lair of Grievous' is a weird episode, because Dave Filoni (the director of TCW at Lucasfilm) said the shuttle bombing story of Grievous that was in the comic books and novels was also the truth about him in a Q&A session at some point. He said that it was GL who wanted to make the episode the way it was in opposition to the existing material. So the statues of a Kaleesh warlord turning slowly into Grievous are misleading and Leeland Chee has never weighed in on it.

But now that Disney has explicitly stated that TCW is canon and the comics and novels prior to X aren't, perhaps the only canonical source of information about Grievous's transformation is this episode, and that he had been a healthy Kaleesh who slowly underwent "improvements" in the hope of becoming a Jedi or like one.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that Clone Wars is still in my Netflix queue. A couple of times the app will say "This show will be removed on..." and then two days after the date, it comes back.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Just noticed that Clone Wars is still in my Netflix queue. A couple of times the app will say "This show will be removed on..." and then two days after the date, it comes back.

Yeah, the Netflix who cried Shistavanen.

Error wrote:
'Lair of Grievous' is a weird episode, because Dave Filoni (the director of TCW at Lucasfilm) said the shuttle bombing story of Grievous that was in the comic books and novels was also the truth about him in a Q&A session at some point. He said that it was GL who wanted to make the episode the way it was in opposition to the existing material. So the statues of a Kaleesh warlord turning slowly into Grievous are misleading and Leeland Chee has never weighed in on it.

But now that Disney has explicitly stated that TCW is canon and the comics and novels prior to X aren't, perhaps the only canonical source of information about Grievous's transformation is this episode, and that he had been a healthy Kaleesh who slowly underwent "improvements" in the hope of becoming a Jedi or like one.

I watched that episode because of the Mon Cal Jedi, but was thoroughly disappointed. Yeah, in production the show had to go with Lucas' whims, and Filoni's statement about not wishing to eliminate the EU backstory was worthless fan pandering even back then. TCW was always free to contradict the EU and whenever it did, retcon. We never even got the new timeline of EU events promised to us when the premise of TCW was that three years+ of prior EU Clone Wars continuity was 'trash compactored' into one month following Aotc to make room for TCW.

On paper TCW wasn't supposed to contradict film canon but it did that too, and Lucas didn't care because he was just trying to make the franchise as valuable as possible to sell it. Lucas is a god among men for what he did with the cash part of his payment from Disney, but unfortunately he did a lot of bad things for Star Wars continuity on his way out of the franchise.

Leeland Chee never making a statement on Grievous doesn't matter to canon now because his EU backstory was flushed from canon, so all that's left now is "Lair of Grievous". Removing the shuttle crash would be stupid because I can see a villain choosing some cybernetic enhancements, but there wasn't much organic aspect left to Grievous - He was almost all artificial and that degree of cyborging was an imperfect technology. I just can't see that much being done by choice.

The whole wishing to be a Jedi thing is silly because being a cyborg didn't give him any ability to use the Force and not much in the way of simulating Jedi abilities. And it's just too Petunia Dursley.

Grievous made more sense before TCW.

EDIT:
Please do not post TCW s7 spoilers here. See the dedicated "Spoilers Allowed" thread for Disney+'s The Clone Wars-The Final Season.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: