The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars 40th Anniversary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars 40th Anniversary Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
I was so impressed by the pure artistry and storytelling of the LotR films that I was surprised that The Hobbit was being done in 3 parts. This turned me off from watching them initially because of the length of The Hobbit in general. Personally, I think that Jackson should have done only 2 films, because to my logic, The Hobbit was shorter in length than Fellowship of the Ring.

I don't have my wife's books in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that The Hobbit is shorter than any LotR book. I was very surprised there was even going to be more than one Hobbit film. Actually The Hobbit was going to be only two films but after production started they expanded it to three. But the Hobbit films are shorter than the LotR films.

MrNexx wrote:
I think it could've been cut into two really good films, instead of 1 really good film and 2 mediocre ones.

I presume the one really good film was TBotFA for you too. I liked it more than Fellowship. I feel the first two Hobbit films were better than "mediocre," but they are my least favorite of the six films. Two Hobbit films may have been better than three but I'm ok with what we ended up with. Both trilogies get better as they go. Here are my rankings:

1. TRotK
2. TTT
3. TBotFA
4. TFotR
5. TDoS
6. AUJ

MrNexx wrote:
And am I the only person who wants them to bring back the intermission? 3 hour films are bladder-busting.

I'm with you, but Middle Earth movies are done, aren't they?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

As far as straight & full adaptations of the two licensed books, yes, at least until the eventually inevitable next round of remakes. I don’t know how inventive the license allows them to be (of course The Hobbit was very “free” indeed). They could easily do a Last Alliance movie, for example. They could come up with a sequel involving the adventures of Elessar and Éomer in the east and south. They could do a whole movie based on the whole Tom Bombadil sequence. I’m not saying they *should* do any of this, but, these movie franchises are huge money-makers, and it’s only a matter of time before they come up with something and run with it.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:

As far as straight & full adaptations of the two licensed books, yes, at least until the eventually inevitable next round of remakes. I don’t know how inventive the license allows them to be (of course The Hobbit was very “free” indeed). They could easily do a Last Alliance movie, for example. They could come up with a sequel involving the adventures of Elessar and Éomer in the east and south. They could do a whole movie based on the whole Tom Bombadil sequence. I’m not saying they *should* do any of this, but, these movie franchises are huge money-makers, and it’s only a matter of time before they come up with something and run with it.

With the rich history of Middle Earth I can see there are plenty of opportunities for deeper prequels. I'd take whatever they do, but I'd be more interested in more original stories taking place in between the two trilogies or after TRotK. But really I am just fine if they are done and make no more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
With the rich history of Middle Earth I can see there are plenty of opportunities for deeper prequels.

For what it’s worth, J.R.R. Tolkien sold the film rights for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when he was alive. The filmmakers don’t have the rights to any of his other works, and there’s no way in hell they’re going to get them any time soon.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:
With the rich history of Middle Earth I can see there are plenty of opportunities for deeper prequels...

For what it’s worth, J.R.R. Tolkien sold the film rights for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when he was alive. The filmmakers don’t have the rights to any of his other works, and there’s no way in hell they’re going to get them any time soon.

Whill wrote:
...I am just fine if they are done and make no more.

I was also perfectly fine with Star Wars being done with RotS. But I am very pleased there are more.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:
With the rich history of Middle Earth I can see there are plenty of opportunities for deeper prequels...

Whill wrote:

I was also perfectly fine with Star Wars being done with RotS. But I am very pleased there are more.

This. Very much this.

The opinions of TFA on this forum...varies. That's for certain as the spectrum of TFA opinions ranges from "almost (but not quite) the best of all the SWU movies" all the way to "OMFG, worst Star Wars movie EVAR!" For my own part, I was disappointed in TFA when I first saw it, but it's grown on me since. And I loved Rogue One. And we have 2 more movies for the sequel trilogy as well as a Han Solo movie (which will star Emilia Clarke as well! Bonus!). It's damn nice to have all this new stuff come out since we thought back in 2005 that RotS was going to be the end of the SWU movies. I'm looking forward to the new stuff.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Falconer wrote:
Whill wrote:

Whill wrote:

This. Very much this.

The opinions of TFA on this forum...varies. That's for certain as the spectrum of TFA opinions ranges from "almost (but not quite) the best of all the SWU movies" all the way to "OMFG, worst Star Wars movie EVAR!" For my own part, I was disappointed in TFA when I first saw it, but it's grown on me since. And I loved Rogue One. And we have 2 more movies for the sequel trilogy as well as a Han Solo movie (which will star Emilia Clarke as well! Bonus!). It's d*mn nice to have all this new stuff come out since we thought back in 2005 that RotS was going to be the end of the SWU movies. I'm looking forward to the new stuff.

Sounds like those that called TFA "OMFG, worst Star Wars movie EVAR!" are the ones that think that the Prequels were the best SW films ever.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
The opinions of TFA on this forum...varies. That's for certain as the spectrum of TFA opinions ranges from "almost (but not quite) the best of all the SWU movies" all the way to "OMFG, worst Star Wars movie EVAR!" For my own part, I was disappointed in TFA when I first saw it, but it's grown on me since. And I loved Rogue One. And we have 2 more movies for the sequel trilogy as well as a Han Solo movie (which will star Emilia Clarke as well! Bonus!). It's d*mn nice to have all this new stuff come out since we thought back in 2005 that RotS was going to be the end of the SWU movies. I'm looking forward to the new stuff.

There were more overall favorable reactions to TFA here than not. I'm not remembering much "worst episode ever".

Treefrog wrote:
Sounds like those that called TFA "OMFG, worst Star Wars movie EVAR!" are the ones that think that the Prequels were the best SW films ever.

That hasn't been my experience overall. Most of the hatred for TFA that I've encountered are from people that likewise hated the prequels. (I also know people who hated the prequels but loved TFA.) But I guess I don't know anyone that thinks the prequels are the best SW films ever. I'm probably the closest to that I know in that I love two of the prequels more than two of the classics, but for me the best SW is still the original and the worst is still AotC.

RO was even better received here than TFA, almost unanimously liked.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Star Wars 40th Anniversary Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
In my family, we are coordinating a Star Wars Week with the release of RO as an early 40th anniversary celebration. Starting Saturday April 1st, we will begin watching the episodic films in numerical order, one per day. On April 4th we will watch Rogue One back-to-back with ANH, as The Force wills it. I think we'll do SW family activities and discussions too.

We were already planning on watching RO/ANH on RO's release day, but after my wife starting asking some basic plot questions answered by RotS which she just hasn't seen in a long time, I got the idea for us to rewatch the prequel trilogy before RO/ANH and Episodes 5-7 after.

Quote:
"It is finished." Then he bowed his head and gave up the Force Ghost.

We did it, 8 movies in 7 days, while going to school, work, having family dinners, getting car repairs done, etc. It was exhausting and I'm quite relieved it is done. The RO/ANH double-header was great, but I probably won't ever watch them back-to-back again, or watch all the movies in a short time period.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

There were more overall favorable reactions to TFA here than not. I'm not remembering much "worst episode ever".

I do have a fried who said that TFA is such a bad film that he's not even going to watch it. Though I think that review can be discounted for obvious reasons.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May the Fourth be with you. Always.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
May the Fourth be with you. Always.

May the Fourth be with you too!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had told you guys that my birthday was May 1, would you guys have said "May the First be with you."?

Damn, I consider it a missed opportunity. Embarassed Crying or Very sad
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
If I had told you guys that my birthday was May 1, would you guys have said "May the First be with you."?

d*mn, I consider it a missed opportunity. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Hey, hey, hey, you can't have order without the First Order. Wink
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

I dunno about anyone else here, but I would've looked for a First Order joke instead!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: