The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Nameless Mooks who beat the odds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Nameless Mooks who beat the odds.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Nameless Mooks who beat the odds. Reply with quote

Apologies for the odd title, but I had been thinking about a brand of NPCs that have popped in all of my games and thusly I presume everyone elses. That nameless Trooper or Thug who the dice loved beyond words. The nameless and faceless masses that exist solely to slow down the party on their quest for someone whose actually important enough to fight. So I thought I'd share the few from my D6 campaigns in the hopes that we might get some interesting stories going on.

Imperial Dungeon Guard#5. I had started the party off in the Starfall adventure, so they had to break out of their cells and all that. The party was a bit larger so I included a few extra guards than is standard. Well they had managed to defeat them and get to their gear when the last two guards appeared. The First was cut down in a hail of blaster bolts, but #5 withstood the onslaught with nary a scratch. Obviously any lone man with a stun baton, no armor to speak of and facing down a party of 8 would be strongly tempted to run for it or surrender, so I gave him a willpower roll. #5 stood his ground and did his duty to the Empire. For seven rounds of hellish battle he held his own, never landed a single blow on any of them, but they couldn't bring him low until the Mandalorian in a fit rage declared she was putting a shock glove somewhere very sensitive and private. And like any sentient male he went down for the count at that.

Imperial TIE Pilot #2. Fleeing the Star Destroyer in a freighter they stole out of the Hangar bay they were of course pursued by TIE fighters. What's a good opening adventure with a Space Battle right? These were just Generic TIEs, Four of them in total. WIthin the first couple of rounds they managed to destroy 3 out of the 4. But #2 held in there, his pathetic 2D hull resisting that mighty 4D+1 Laser turret like a Champ. They eventually disabled his engines and punched it to the Rebel Fleet and got out of dodge, but never actually Killed him.

Imperial Technician. Several sessions later saw the party at a small Imperial Outpost in the Outer Rim, they were doing some sabotage for the Alliance and just had to knock out this one Tech. So naturally the Togorian was sent to do it. Rearing up and bringing the hurt down ontop of this unaware Technician just minding her own business. She managed to beat the soak roll by 1. And then engaged with the Togorian in a fist fight for several that almost killed the player before another one managed to blast her down.

Imperial Swamptrooper. This poor guy, at the onset of the combat round he proceeded to botch his Dodge, Parry and Attack rolls. Losing his gun somewhere in the muck and being battered around by the Party. It went on for four or five rounds before I started feeling bad for the guy and had him try to run for the swamp and dive in, ended up failing his jump, hitting his head on a rock and just kind of laying there.

Retroactively I decided that they were all siblings of a obscure lineage that was Force Sensitive and skilled in the Control powers to answer as to how they could take such punishment and remain standing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I;ve had my share of those.. Such as a group of imp stormies, where the captain, heavy gunner and 4 others got taken out in the first round.. 3 others in the second, and the surviving last 2 lingered around even taking 4 pcs down to incap before they finally fell..
Or a tie pilot who just couldn't be hit by the pcs, and seemed to tag their ship damn near every round, but his 5d laser couldn't penetrate the 6d+2 hull and 2d+2 shield protection the party's ship had...
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nameless Mooks who beat the odds. Reply with quote

Melkor wrote:
... Imperial Dungeon Guard#5. I had started the party off in the Starfall adventure, so they had to break out of their cells and all that. The party was a bit larger so I included a few extra guards than is standard. Well they had managed to defeat them and get to their gear when the last two guards appeared. The First was cut down in a hail of blaster bolts, but #5 withstood the onslaught with nary a scratch. Obviously any lone man with a stun baton, no armor to speak of and facing down a party of 8 would be strongly tempted to run for it or surrender, so I gave him a willpower roll. #5 stood his ground and did his duty to the Empire. For seven rounds of hellish battle he held his own, never landed a single blow on any of them, but they couldn't bring him low until the Mandalorian in a fit rage declared she was putting a shock glove somewhere very sensitive and private. And like any sentient male he went down for the count at that...

Imperial TIE Pilot #2. Fleeing the Star Destroyer in a freighter they stole out of the Hangar bay they were of course pursued by TIE fighters. What's a good opening adventure with a Space Battle right? These were just Generic TIEs, Four of them in total. WIthin the first couple of rounds they managed to destroy 3 out of the 4. But #2 held in there, his pathetic 2D hull resisting that mighty 4D+1 Laser turret like a Champ. They eventually disabled his engines and punched it to the Rebel Fleet and got out of dodge, but never actually Killed him....

These two deserve a promotion to named NPC status!
May they forever get cutaways and meanwhiles in your campaigns going forward.
Imperial Dungeoneer #5 was the meme-worthy TR8R of his day,
while TIE Pilot #2 is now TIE Pilot NUMBER ONE.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that before. Promoted a nameless mook to full NPC status after a great combat or three...
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Nameless Mooks who beat the odds. Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

These two deserve a promotion to named NPC status!
May they forever get cutaways and meanwhiles in your campaigns going forward.
Imperial Dungeoneer #5 was the meme-worthy TR8R of his day,
while TIE Pilot #2 is now TIE Pilot NUMBER ONE.

Oh they have been made a note of and shall be appearing in future Campaigns. Based on the Star Wars Name Generator I hit to come up with the Dungoeneer's name they are the Moonwood family and shall be long lasting loyal subjects to the Empire.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mook Promotions.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've done that before. Promoted a nameless mook to full NPC status after a great combat or three...

Nice! I hope he continued to survive -- or at least went out in a blaze of glory.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I love Mook Promotions.

One of my favorite uses of this trope is the knowing nod / lampshading meta-version we got in Galaxy Quest,
where Sam Rockwell's redshirt gets promoted to named supporting character "Guy."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Nice! I hope he continued to survive -- or at least went out in a blaze of glory.

In a semi long running campaign where he showed up iirc in the 3rd session as one of the enemy troops, he showed up again, promoted to squad leader of an imp storm trooper squad.. THEN after surviving that, came back Twice again as Platoon leader (3 squads under his command).. He unfortunately was killed in iirc the 12th session after being sniped by a PC...
Melkor
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a new entry from Tonight's game. The Fifth Member of the most Noble lineage of the Moonwoods.

Cantina Bouncer #3. Combat Knife vs a very stab happy Saber Rake (using a Vibro Rapier). Fight wasn't going well for the Bouncer but he was holding his own well enough, existing almost the entire battle coming in and out of Stunned until he made a Mishap on a Running check to pursue the party and tried to make a hole through a wall. It did not work out. But he lived and shall reunite with his other siblings in a grand army of vengeance.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. Sounds like that bouncer ate his wheeties!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: