The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Handheld Shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Handheld Shields Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wait, i thought YOu were the one who was the big stickler for "if we saw it on screen thus it must be".... Guess when it contradicts your grand views, what's on screen can take a dump in the toilet...

And as usual, you can't actually be bothered to comprehend and articulate my ACTUAL positions. What we see on screen is absolutely "must be", but it is not the end-all be-all of the SWU. Your arguments commonly boil down to "well, we never see X on screen, therefore it must not exist in the SWU," an argument that is both logically flawed and tragically myopic.

Quote:
Its to the point nothing i say seems to ever convince you of anything CRM.. So congrats, you are the first person on this site in my entire time here, i am gonna put someone on an ignore list (assuming this site has the functionality for that)..

The reason you never convince me is because your reasoning has a massive blindspot that refuses to accept the possibility that the SWU is much bigger than what we see on screen and in the WEG material.

But whatever. If a tantrum is what makes you happy, knock yourself out.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the Gungan personnel shield should be treated differently from other handheld/personnel shield units. The Gungans used a hydrostatic tech for ther shields and their units were shown to be able to not only absorb, but to deflect/reflect plasma energy. Just a couple points that I observed...

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that one of the very first concept art pieces from Ralph Macquarrie featured stormtroopers equipped with shields. They may not have made it into the actual film, but they do have their place in Star Wars lore...

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazydanny1 wrote:
I believe that the Gungan personnel shield should be treated differently from other handheld/personnel shield units. The Gungans used a hydrostatic tech for ther shields and their units were shown to be able to not only absorb, but to deflect/reflect plasma energy. Just a couple points that I observed...

I would treat those as additional rules on that type of shield, not wholly different rules.

But, for shape, I like the Alley Viper shape

Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simplicity’s sake, I would have personal shields work the same as starship shields. Roll to see if you can use the shield. And if so, I would just add the shield rating to STR+armor. Now this may mean I might reduce the value of the shield’s dice but it would save a step in rolling though.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a concept, let me know what you think. I went with the idea that it provides ray shielding but not particle shields.

Shield Droid

DEXTERITY 2D
- Melee Parry 5D

KNOWLEDGE 1D
- Languages 2D
- Languages: Basic 4D
- Languages: Huttese 4D
- Tactics 3D

MECHANICAL 1D
PERCEPTION 1D
STRENGTH 2D
TECHNICAL 1D

Move: 15

Attachments:
- Repulsorlift
- Ray Shield 5D
- Armor 2D
- Vocabulator

The Shield Droid is built to be a shield in ranged combat. On command it can expand a framework for a ray shield that is 1 meter wide and 2 meters tall.

The Shield Droid is a small floating droid, smaller than a cubic foot. It follows its master and produces it's shield on command. The Shield droid is programmed to move into a protective position and provide cover and protection, working with its master in ranged combat.

There is room for other attachments. Many owners find a language database to be useful, they can claim their shield droid is a translator.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice concept Kytross. My question though is what’s the difference between Tay and Particle weapons? Do you have an example?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, what is with these double posts? That’s three in a row now.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume the duplicate posts are not intentional. Normally I would guess that the double posts comes from a slow internet connection and hitting submit multiple times. But these posts are hours apart so that doesn't seem as likely.

Ninja-Bear, I suggest making sure you don't hit Submit more than once, even if you come back later and it still looks like it hasn't submitted.

And it wouldn't be be a bad idea to check back and make sure you haven't accidentally duplicated your posts. If you have, just edit the second post to say "delete duplicate post" and it will be deleted by myself or a moderator without comment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double posts. Not sure how to remove them either. I blame it on my phone.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Sorry for the double posts. Not sure how to remove them either. I blame it on my phone.

I'm sorry that this site is not mobile-friendly. No you can't remove them yourself, but you can look for them later and edit them to say "delete" or "duplicate". Then a moderator or myself will delete them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone considered that the shield could come with the penalty of occupying one hand/arm (thereby limiting the selection of weapons that can be used), in addition to imposing a small Dex penalty (-1 or -2 pips), while providing an additional bonus to armor/soak rolls?

Its certainly abstract, but perhaps a simple and uncluttered solution.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Has anyone considered that the shield could come with the penalty of occupying one hand/arm (thereby limiting the selection of weapons that can be used), in addition to imposing a small Dex penalty (-1 or -2 pips), while providing an additional bonus to armor/soak rolls?

D6 fantasy handles it that way... a shield is cumulative with any worn armor. I also have it provide cover from blaster fire... I may not be able to PARRY a blaster bolt with my shield, but I'm still getting 1/4 cover where you have to shoot through an object to hit me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
Here's a concept, let me know what you think. I went with the idea that it provides ray shielding but not particle shields.

Overall, a great design. I think it’s a mistake to limit it only to energy weapons, but that’s personal preference.

Sounds closer to a Sidekick droid than a shield droid...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Naaman wrote:

D6 fantasy handles it that way... a shield is cumulative with any worn armor. I also have it provide cover from blaster fire... I may not be able to PARRY a blaster bolt with my shield, but I'm still getting 1/4 cover where you have to shoot through an object to hit me.

A couple thoughts that have come up over the years...

-On a successful Melee Parry, a character receives a bonus to Shield Strength equal to 1 for every 3 points by which he beat the Difficulty. This represents a character’s ability to precisely angle his shield do as to maximize deflection, rather than taking a shot square on the shield face.

-Allow characters who kneel or crouch behind their shield to increase the percentage of their Coverage by 25%. For example, if a shield normally offers 25% cover, but the character crouches downnin an effort to get as much of his body behind the shield as possible, the shield’s percentage increases to 50%, and the Cover penalty increases accordingly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: