The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My Auto-Fire Rules (the Final Version) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Bulkiness. When I re-did the Blaster stats, the heavier repeaters all suffer a -1D penalty to Blaster at Point Blank range. Weapons with the Riot upgrade are similarly limited by low ammo capacity.

This.

Good solution. Is this scaled based on the weapon, or do you care for that level of nuance?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm not assessing MAPs on Auto-Fire Dice. Firing a burst counts as a single action for MAP purposes. However, the longer a burst used, the more difficult it becomes for the shooter to perform other actions. A character with a Light Repeating Blaster can just stand there and fire a Long Burst (3D) unpenalized, but if he tries to perform other actions (Dodging or Moving), he incurs a -2D penalty, in addition to any MAPs.

This applies to personal weapons only; vehicle mounted weaponry is subject to standard MAPs only.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Bulkiness. When I re-did the Blaster stats, the heavier repeaters all suffer a -1D penalty to Blaster at Point Blank range. Weapons with the Riot upgrade are similarly limited by low ammo capacity.

This.

Good solution. Is this scaled based on the weapon, or do you care for that level of nuance?

Not sure what you mean.

EDIT: Okay, I think I get it. I didn't care for that level of nuance, and mostly just went with the idea of a base +1D/unchanged/-1D based on the general size of the weapon. Repeaters and the larger precision fire weapons got the -1D, with some of the bigger ones getting a -2D.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have edited the original post to reflect this rule, with a penalty equal to whatever degree of Auto-Fire dice is being used -1D.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I used the Auto-Fire rules for a 4D auto-fire repeater and a 1D auto-fire blaster in an adventure. It worked well.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
This week I used the Auto-Fire rules for a 4D auto-fire repeater and a 1D auto-fire blaster in an adventure. It worked well.

Good to hear. I've had some thoughts as to how I might clean up and streamline the rule, but nothing concrete yet.

Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Good to hear. I've had some thoughts as to how I might clean up and streamline the rule, but nothing concrete yet.

I'm very interested in seeing any revisions.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main change I'm thinking is the Rate of Fire, so that any weapon with an Auto-Fire rating would treat all Auto-Fire shots as standard actions for MAP purposes, with the number of shots fired being limited by the firing skill of the gunner.

So, the weapons would be broken down into three categories:
    1D = Short Burst
    2D* = Full-Auto
    3D* = Hyper-Auto (mini-guns, etc)

*Weapon can make a full-round attack that adds +1D to its Auto-Fire rating, but must be the only attack made with the weapon that round.
There's also room for a Selective Fire variant of the 1D variant, so that it can toggle between 1D or 2D (but still has to be concerned about ammo limitations).

I think I'd also probably separate the Scatter rule and simply say that Auto-Fire weapons are subject to said rule, rather than including the rule itself in the write-up.

Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling to understand this, probably because I've missed some previous discussion in other post threads. What does the "Auto-Fire rating" actually do? Do you add it as a bonus to your skill roll?

Could someone write up a simple example scenario where these auto-fire rules are in use?

Thanks in advance Smile
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
I'm struggling to understand this, probably because I've missed some previous discussion in other post threads. What does the "Auto-Fire rating" actually do? Do you add it as a bonus to your skill roll?

Could someone write up a simple example scenario where these auto-fire rules are in use?

Thanks in advance Smile

https://rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6431
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straxus wrote:
Thanks in advance Smile

Well, I’ve had a pretty long day, so I’m not up for an example scenario, but the tl;dr version is:
    Auto-Fire Dice give each individual “shot” a dice pool that can be applied to Damage and/or Gunnery (depending on how many dice the weapon has) at the cost of higher ammo consumption.

The only restriction is that the maximum amount of Auto-Fire dice that can be applied to Damage decreases as Range increases (by -1D per Range Bracket).

Straxus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I re-read the OP a few times, I think I get it now, it was just a bit much to take in at first + second language and all that. The tl;dr helped too, CRMcNeill Smile

I think one thing that threw me off was that is said "dice in either damage or fire control" and I thought what if the weapon doesn't have a fire control rating? But fire control is just added to the skill roll anyway, so...

Thanks for your patience, guys, I've always been a bit unsatisfied with the autofire rules in RAW, and this feels like a good way to do it without straying to far/too complicated.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump w/r/t my sustained fire rule. Continuous stream weaponry (flamethrowers, beam weapons, etc) were on my mind when I wrote this rule, but were never officially included in the rule write-up, so I'm going to amend that.

I'm thinking the best way to represent such weaponry is to give them an Auto-Fire rating of 4D* on this version of the Auto-Fire Rules. Basically, a continuous stream weapon gets a 4D Auto-Fire on every shot, or can opt for 5D Auto-Fire on a full-round attack. I don't have a lot of continuous beam weaponry on my stat collection, but obviously some stats may need to be re-written to give lower base damage.

In addition, only weapons w/ 4D Auto-Fire or more may make use of the sustained fire rule linked above.

EDIT: Alternately, based on what I posted here, Repeater weapons could potentially still make use of the sustained fire rule, but at lower rates of accumulation.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly; lightsabers and vibro-weapons would be able to make use of it, too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: