The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A question on ranges figuring Kilometers to space ranges
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> A question on ranges figuring Kilometers to space ranges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: A question on ranges figuring Kilometers to space ranges Reply with quote

I was looking at the wookipedia and noticed that they listed the maximum range for the V150 cannon was 180,000 km and I'm wondering what that is in the D6 space ranges.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

180,000km? That's way past orbital range. If that's it's range, the Rebels at Hoth could have started blasting the Death Squadron with the ion cannon for a good while before it even entered Hoth's orbit. A satellite orbiting Earth is only at an altitude of (very roughly) 100 miles above sea level and 180,000km is almost halfway between the Earth and the Moon.

Methinks the Wook goofed again.

As for the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (and the Imperial Sourcebook as well), it doesn't give the range in miles or kilometers, it merely says that the Range is:
Atmosphere/Low Orbit (1*)/High Orbit (3*)
*This refers to the number of units if conducting a space battle.
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
180,000km? That's way past orbital range. If that's it's range, the Rebels at Hoth could have started blasting the Death Squadron with the ion cannon for a good while before it even entered Hoth's orbit. A satellite orbiting Earth is only at an altitude of (very roughly) 100 miles above sea level and 180,000km is almost halfway between the Earth and the Moon.

Methinks the Wook goofed again.

As for the Rebel Alliance Sourcebook (and the Imperial Sourcebook as well), it doesn't give the range in miles or kilometers, it merely says that the Range is:
Atmosphere/Low Orbit (1*)/High Orbit (3*)
*This refers to the number of units if conducting a space battle.

TBH I think that too, but when using simple terms like low or high orbit that assuming an Earth size planet.

Low orbit is between 160 kilometers and 2,000 kilometers
and high orbit means a range of 35,786 km

So if 1-3 are the space range units that makes the space ranges pretty wonky.

I think those 1-3 units are atmospheric.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I've found that, the further one moves away from Character-Scale combat in the RAW, the more important it becomes to view kilometers as "kilometers", as in, more a form of relative measurement than an absolute value.

And yes, WEG did flub the ranges for orbital combat. I'd suggest just giving weapons like the v-150 ranges in SUs that outrange that of standard capital ship weaponry. For example, rather than using the WEG- assigned range of "Atmosphere/Low Orbit (1**)/High Orbit (3**)", adjust the range to "5-25/50/100", which allows it to outrange the turbolasers on capital ships.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: