The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Acronyms, Initialisms and Abbreviations Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Gawds, it's gonna be a long 11 months! Then again, we'll have Rogue One on DVD and Blu-Ray sometime in April hopefully, so that will make the wait easier. 8)

Kids. Gah. Kids. Back in my day, we had to wait three years for a Star Wars sequel. And we didn't have the luxury of home video, or internet, or a SW RPG. But we could read our storybooks and listen the soundtrack records as much as we wanted.

I agree.. people these days do just seem too impatient.

Hey, wait a minute. I'm old enough to remember seeing ANH in the theatre back in '77 before it was known as "Episode IV." Y'know, before Star Wars was cool. Wink (Granted, I was only 5 years old at the time, but seeing that humongous Star Destroyer fill the screen made an impression that lasts to this day.) I'm just as much an old fogie as anyone else on this forum. Shocked

But, yes, Whill, I am impatient sometimes. It's a character flaw of mine, I'm afraid. Embarassed Wink

Actually you and I are the same age. I've found that in general, patience is something that has gotten easier with age. Star Wars movies are still something special but I don't know how much longer that will last.

After starting to play this game in the late 80s, Lucas was still saying maybe they'll be a prequel trilogy and maybe not, so the original trilogy could have been it. Then in the mid-90s the prequels were happening but didn't start coming out until 99 and were again 3 years apart. After he started making prequels Lucas said this was definitely it. No more movies after Episode 3, even after he died, he said. Overall I enjoyed the prequels. I was fine with only six movies.

Then he sold it to Disney and now we have new movies once a year. I love both TFA and RO so Disney is 2 for 2 so far in my mind. Yes, I am now somewhat emotionally invested in Episodes 8 and 9, plus the young Han Solo film. I am hopeful these will be good too. But there could be no end to new Star Wars movies in sight and I am not optimistic they will keep being great indefinitely. It will be a little sad to see Disney run the franchise into the ground so I am not really looking forward to that. For me, there's no rush for these next few movies to come out. They're pure "bonus" and I'll just try to enjoy them while they're good.

Sutehp wrote:
Oh, and garhkal? Kudos on quoting the Failed Jedi. That was a nice touch. Mr. Green

"Kids. Gah. Kids." ? That was me not garhkal. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Gawds, it's gonna be a long 11 months! Then again, we'll have Rogue One on DVD and Blu-Ray sometime in April hopefully, so that will make the wait easier. 8)

Kids. Gah. Kids. Back in my day, we had to wait three years for a Star Wars sequel. And we didn't have the luxury of home video, or internet, or a SW RPG. But we could read our storybooks and listen the soundtrack records as much as we wanted.

Fuddy-duddies gotta fuddy. Very Happy
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And grogs gotta grog Laughing Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
"Kids. Gah. Kids." ? That was me not garhkal. 8)

Whoops! Damn multiple quote boxes make it easy for me to misalign the posters in my sight and misquote people... Embarassed

But I'm sanguine enough to believe that Disney has the movies well in hand. It's certainly possible that they might drive the franchise into the ground, but people were saying that about the prequels, as so many thought they were of significantly lesser quality than the OT.

FFS, people are still hating on Jar Jar Binks 18 years later! Rolling Eyes

In any case, whether Disney does or doesn't run Star Wars into the ground is something that will be determined years into the future, so it's useless to try to predict it. It will either happen or it won't. Time will tell, as it always does.

But, as you say, they're 2 for 2 so far. That's not a bad record at all and bodes well for the future. We'll see. 8)
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of people write stuff like RotS for Revenge of the Sith rather than capitalizing the O of the "of" and the T of the "the", which makes for ROTS instead.

I know it's a nitpick, and I'm not asking for the OP to be changed, but it actually does help me differentiate various acronyms, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I've seen a lot of people write stuff like RotS for Revenge of the Sith rather than capitalizing the O of the "of" and the T of the "the", which makes for ROTS instead.

Guilty as charged.

Error wrote:

I know it's a nitpick, and I'm not asking for the OP to be changed, but it actually does help me differentiate various acronyms, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

It was quick and easy so I went ahead and updated the OP.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and edited WotC/WOTC because I know that's a thing I do frequently.
gg12332
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: "OG trilogy" Reply with quote

What does "OG" stand for?

Last edited by gg12332 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: "OG trilogy" Reply with quote

gg12332 wrote:
What does "OG" stand for? Thanks in Advance!!! J.A.M.

Where are you getting OG from? The closest thing I am aware of within the purview of the films is "OT", which stands for "Original Trilogy."

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
gg12332
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: "OG trilogy" Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
gg12332 wrote:
What does "OG" stand for? Thanks in Advance!!! J.A.M.

Where are you getting OG from? The closest thing I am aware of within the purview of the films is "OT", which stands for "Original Trilogy."

From the following URL: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/94vgk8/best_star_wars_rpg_system/
The following post: "Ttj_Njhal
5 points ·
5 hours ago

I'll throw in for Saga Edition. More refined than the d20 system while retaining a similar mechanical feel. Talents were an good way of increasing variety in your base classes and made for some fun combinations. It had a closer setting feel to the prequels and EU than it did the OG trilogy (WEG was better for the latter)."
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. OG is street slang for Original Gangster. Someone on Reddit decided to use it in reference to the original three films. It's not a fandom term.

gg12332
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Oh. OG is street slang for Original Gangster. Someone on Reddit decided to use it in reference to the original three films. It's not a fandom term.
Thanks again, CRMcNeill!!!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

Maybe their use was for "Original game"??
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Maybe their use was for "Original game"??

The quote he supplied says “OG trilogy.”

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Original Gangster" is the correct long-form of "OG;" however, in many circles, there exists an idiom wherein "OG" has been used--colloquially to be sure--simply to mean "original."

This interpretation seems to be born from a combination of two elements: First, enough listeners or readers have heard or seen the term "OG" used in limited contexts--thereby skewing their understanding of its complete meaning (they infer the meaning contextually, rather than understanding its use as a borrowed term). Not unlike what a toddler experiences when learning language: words are used as correctly as they understand how to use them, however incorrect (though endearing) such applications may be.

Second, both the letters "o" and "g" appear in the word "original." Though this is merely a coincidence, given the nature of abbreviations in the English language (and, factoring in the proclivity of modern readers to interpret written language in light of their use thereof in "texting" form), it is easy to understand how one could reasonably infer that "OG" is merely a modern take on a shorthand form for the word "original."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: