The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I need some plot help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> I need some plot help.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: I need some plot help. Reply with quote

I want to introduce characters to a clone who was a prisoner during the Clone Wars for some obscene length of time and who was basically "bought" back by the Republic in a prisoner exchange.

Can anyone think of a battle (from TCW or otherwise) where such a clone might have been taken captive? I am looking for a scenario where the Republic loses a planet or is ejected from a territory or something similar, and this guy gets separated and surrounded and is taken prisoner for the rest of the war until he is traded for by the Republic just before the events of Episode III.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: I need some plot help. Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I want to introduce characters to a clone who was a prisoner during the Clone Wars for some obscene length of time and who was basically "bought" back by the Republic in a prisoner exchange.

Can anyone think of a battle (from TCW or otherwise) where such a clone might have been taken captive? I am looking for a scenario where the Republic loses a planet or is ejected from a territory or something similar, and this guy gets separated and surrounded and is taken prisoner for the rest of the war until he is traded for by the Republic just before the events of Episode III.

By "onscene length of time" you mean less than three years since the Clone Wars only lasted that long (unless you altered the timeline for your SWU), right?

And why does it have to be a canon battle? Couldn't it just be one that you made up? Even if your SWU adheres pretty strictly to canon, don't you think that there were "offscreen" battles? If you devise your own battle (near the beginning of the war) and prisoner exchange (near the end), you can then maximize the time he was a prisoner.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you do pick a random planet, just remember what Rex told Ezra once in Rebels: Rex doesn't think the Clone War ever got to Lothal, so make sure that your made-up battle doesn't occur there. Mr. Green

EDIT: Not that anyone cares, but WHOOHOO! Only 2 more posts before I'm a captain!
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obscene, not onscene. LOL big difference, Whill Smile

Sutehp, that's precisely why I'm asking for an actual canonical battle, so I don't make a dumb mistake like make one up and have it somehow be impossible because of other canon. This is important because I may write fanfic around it and I need it to be accurate.

Also aware the Clone Wars only lasted three years. I'm also aware that American POW's from the Vietnam war were still prisoners after the war ended and had to be bargained-for by the US government for YEARS afterward, and it is rumored that many more were left behind in such bondage and died there. Also true of WWI and WWII.

So there actually is no particular length of time I have to follow as long as I also insert reasons for continued incarceration, such as, prisoner was sold as slave, prisoner was retained by former Separatist world for work purposes, prisoner was whisked away and is now a pet or curio of a "weird objects" collector who wanted a genuine clone, etc. ad nauseam. It could be anything. But that's not what I'm asking for. I'm looking for a battle that meets the description in the OP.

I work a ton and I don't have time to go back digging through everything looking for a suitable Republic loss. So please help if you can. It seemed like a simple request... Embarassed
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And if you do pick a random planet, just remember what Rex told Ezra once in Rebels: Rex doesn't think the Clone War ever got to Lothal, so make sure that your made-up battle doesn't occur there. Mr. Green

EDIT: Not that anyone cares, but WHOOHOO! Only 2 more posts before I'm a captain!

Ha. I've been a member of this forum for over a decade and JUST passed the Captain mark.

Then again, I also took a LONG hiatus from roleplaying to play Magic: the Gathering instead, but that game is now not affordable for anyone who doesn't have discretionary spending power. This includes people who are saving, like me. I just can't spend $200 on a single piece of cardboard anymore.

And let's get down to brass tacks here...this game (WEG SWD6) is basically free. All you need is dice (I use the 36-die cubes from Chessex, in the "Borealis" color series (they're amazing). Then you need the books.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Ha. I've been a member of this forum for over a decade and JUST passed the Captain mark.

As of this post, I am now a Captain. Yay me! But yeah, I have been posting quite a bit on this forum since I joined last November. (Gawds, it already feels like a lifetime ago....)

Error wrote:
Then again, I also took a LONG hiatus from roleplaying to play Magic: the Gathering instead, but that game is now not affordable for anyone who doesn't have discretionary spending power. This includes people who are saving, like me. I just can't spend $200 on a single piece of cardboard anymore.

I haven't gamed in years. My last attempt to GM an Exalted game ended after 2 sessions. I had a Heroic BSOD during the 3rd session and realized I had no idea what to do next. Then again, I was dealing with 1st Edition rules for Exalted, so the deck was effectively stacked against me....

Error wrote:
And let's get down to brass tacks here...this game (WEG SWD6) is basically free. All you need is dice (I use the 36-die cubes from Chessex, in the "Borealis" color series (they're amazing).

I just yesterday got my d6 dice from The Dice Shop Online in the mail. I was so excited that when I went to my building's front desk to pick them up, I showed them to the lady working there. She found my multi-colored Chessex dice very impressive. And I was happy to get them because I'm joining a new SWD6 campaign near me in March. I can't wait to break in my new dice! I'm especially loving my Carribean Blue and Frosted Teal 6-siders, though the other colors are nice too.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating your own non-canon battle is probably the way to go, so that you can control the circumstances. Don't worry about it being contradicted by canon somewhere down the line - as a rule, Star Wars creators don't make sweeping declarations (i.e. "There were only seventeen battles in the Clone Wars"), so there's not going to be a situation where your invented battle is deemed impossible. They avoid things like that so that other authors can add in details later as needed, but it's useful for us GMs as well.

That said, canon is meant to be broken.

Another option is limiting the size of the engagement. Perhaps the character was part of a scouting party that encroached upon a Separatist facility and were captured? By making it just a little skirmish, you avoid any question of it not appearing in the "history books."

If you still don't feel comfortable with bending canon, I would recommend looking into the Battle of Atraken. It was a particularly awful affair, lasting a year and resulting in 90% of the civilian population being poisoned by the Separatists' biochemical weapons. There's plenty of time in there for a group of clones to have been captured and imprisoned. The battle ended in a tactical victory for the Republic (they stopped Separatist mining on the planet), but it left the planet itself inhospitable.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
Creating your own non-canon battle is probably the way to go, so that you can control the circumstances. Don't worry about it being contradicted by canon somewhere down the line - as a rule, Star Wars creators don't make sweeping declarations (i.e. "There were only seventeen battles in the Clone Wars"), so there's not going to be a situation where your invented battle is deemed impossible. They avoid things like that so that other authors can add in details later as needed, but it's useful for us GMs as well.

That said, canon is meant to be broken.

Another option is limiting the size of the engagement. Perhaps the character was part of a scouting party that encroached upon a Separatist facility and were captured? By making it just a little skirmish, you avoid any question of it not appearing in the "history books."

If you still don't feel comfortable with bending canon, I would recommend looking into the Battle of Atraken. It was a particularly awful affair, lasting a year and resulting in 90% of the civilian population being poisoned by the Separatists' biochemical weapons. There's plenty of time in there for a group of clones to have been captured and imprisoned. The battle ended in a tactical victory for the Republic (they stopped Separatist mining on the planet), but it left the planet itself inhospitable.

The thing is that I already create so much stuff for my campaigns and fanfic that I need to anchor it to the actual canonical SWU once in a while. I am sure I could just make up the name of a planet and say the clone was captured at the battle of that planet and leave it at that but I want to think this one through with the aid of the Hive Mind.

I also think I may have misrepresented how much information I really need. I just need an offhand mention of a battle early in the Clone Wars, not details of how the guy was captured or even any more details on that battle. He only makes one remark about to the affect of "Yeah, I was in the war. I was a prisoner of it, actually. I got separated from my squad at the battle of X and I ended up mining asteroids in the Outer Rim for those scumbags for almost three years."

So basically all I need is X, but I want it to be canon, and I want it to be from someone else's mind other than my own.

This Battle of Atraken you're talking about...how close to Ep II did it begin? I prefer as close as possible. And would there have been ample opportunity for the prisoner(s) to be taken offworld by the Separatists before they are driven offworld themselves by the Republic?
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
This Battle of Atraken you're talking about...how close to Ep II did it begin? I prefer as close as possible. And would there have been ample opportunity for the prisoner(s) to be taken offworld by the Separatists before they are driven offworld themselves by the Republic?

It began a few days after Geonosis, and lasted a year. Plenty of time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Atraken
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
Error wrote:

It began a few days after Geonosis, and lasted a year. Plenty of time.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Atraken

Then that's perfect. Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Thank you so much for the suggestion!

You're welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: