The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (title/speculation) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret handshake. Ha.

It should come as no surprise that the live action films (except for a few very minor details of some of them) are all part of my personal canon in my SW game universe...

MrNexx wrote:
One of the conceits that makes the RPG, and a lot of other Star Wars stories work, is that there were a lot of semi-Jedi, even during the Empire... Yoda and Kenobi, obviously, but all the half-trained Padawans, the far-flung Jed Service Corps members, and so on.

I'm ok with all that. In RotJ, Yoda said, "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be. Pass on what you have learned." However in the same conversion, Yoda told Luke that he wasn't a Jedi yet because one final trial remained, confronting his father again. So from context "Jedi" sometimes means to full-fledged Jedi Knight. While it is possible that Yoda could be wrong, RotJ has the most dramatic value if Yoda is correct. When Yoda died, there was technically a short time when there were no Jedi Masters or Knights in the galaxy (other than Force Ghosts) and the Jedi Order hung by a thread until Luke became a Knight by denouncing the Dark Side (right before he almost died then Anakin returned and sacrificed his life to save Luke).

But Yoda's truth doesn't stop there from having been full-fledged Jedi Knights or even other Masters that survived the Jedi Purge and died sometime before RotJ. And yes, there could be any number of padawans, padawan apprentices, and other good and bad non-Jedi/non-Sith Force users of various power levels in the galaxy that outlived Yoda. And I am perfectly ok with Force-using PCs in my game never even achieving the power level of a full-fledged Jedi Knight. By that point they would overshadow the rest of the PCs anyway so I feel it's best that they never get that powerful.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Last Jedi trailer is here!!!!

"I only know one truth...it's time for the Jedi to end."

Holy fukin' Jeebus on a sh!ttim wood crutch, was that Luke Skywalker saying that??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let the speculations begin!!
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter also says Hamill recorded that line specifically for the trailer, so expect to see something different in the movie.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
The Last Jedi trailer is here!!!!

"I only know one truth...it's time for the Jedi to end."

Holy fukin' Jeebus on a sh!ttim wood crutch, was that Luke Skywalker saying that??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I agree. Holy spitballs!!
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that Luke says that in a flashback from before Rey had arrived.

I know that there are some online that have put the theory forward that Luke is going to be more of a "Grey Jedi" due to finding something on Ach-To.

If this is true, and with Luke seemingly ending the Jedi Order, what new organization could it be called..... Jedi-Bendu maybe?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
Personally, I think that Luke says that in a flashback from before Rey had arrived.

Saying it to...who? He was alone on Ahch-To.

Unless he was saying it to a bunch of Force ghosts haunting Ahch-To...

Treefrog wrote:
I know that there are some online that have put the theory forward that Luke is going to be more of a "Grey Jedi" due to finding something on Ach-To.

If this is true, and with Luke seemingly ending the Jedi Order, what new organization could it be called..... Jedi-Bendu maybe?

Ugh, the Bendu was a dick. He didn't have to blow up all those Rebel ships, they were leaving Atollon anyway! "The one in the middle," my @$$. Rolling Eyes
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Treefrog wrote:

Saying it to...who? He was alone on Ahch-To.

Unless he was saying it to a bunch of Force ghosts haunting Ahch-To...

Treefrog wrote:

Ugh, the Bendu was a dick. He didn't have to blow up all those Rebel ships, they were leaving Atollon anyway! "The one in the middle," my @$$. Rolling Eyes

Sometimes people make statements to no one in particular. Personally, I think he says it to a Force Ghost (take your pick).
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dollars to donuts those books are the Journal Of The Whills.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:

I'd be fine with that.....as I recall, the original novelization of ANH had a passage from The Journal of the Whills.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:

Sorry, griff, which books? Did I miss a bookshelf that was shown in the trailer?

I guess I better watch it again!

And why would a technologically advanced society be using paper books instead of data pads? Then again, this is a society that uses swords fer crissakes', whether they be of the metal blade or frozen plasma varieties.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books have the endearing quality that they do not require power, nor do they have any encoding beyond what you can see. You could argue, of course, tactile texts, or even non-visual spectrum inks that may change this - for an excellently shaped example in other media, look no further than Jamie Alexander in Blindspot - but the general idea still holds true.

Also, and I'm nitpicking here, we don't know that it's paper. It might be parchment, it might be some polymer laminate that laughs at regular fire, and so on.

Currently, for deep time purposes, I believe the preferred material for things that are meant to survive into the far future is synthetic granite, engraved with stuff. Also, I believe the preferred location is in two or more locations on the Moon or something, but I might be mistaken there. Something like the Norwegian Seed Vault or the planned Text Vault on Svalbard obviously have a good, geologically fairly stable location.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
griff wrote:

Sorry, griff, which books? Did I miss a bookshelf that was shown in the trailer?

I guess I better watch it again!

And why would a technologically advanced society be using paper books instead of data pads? Then again, this is a society that uses swords fer crissakes', whether they be of the metal blade or frozen plasma varieties.

When you rewatch the trailer: after Rey is telling Luke that she sees the Light, the Darkness, and as she says the Balance, a shelf with some ancient-looking books are shown on a shelf before the close-up of one with a faded symbol on it.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
And why would a technologically advanced society be using paper books instead of data pads?

These books could be ancient. The "first Jedi Temple" could have been built before modern SW technology existed or came to that planet. Or maybe they just really liked old fashion books. Just because high technology exists doesn't mean everyone has it or uses it. I have e-book reading tech but prefer to read dead tree books.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
And why would a technologically advanced society be using paper books instead of data pads?

These books could be ancient. The "first Jedi Temple" could have been built before modern SW technology existed or came to that planet. Or maybe they just really liked old fashion books. Just because high technology exists doesn't mean everyone has it or uses it. I have e-book reading tech but prefer to read dead tree books.

You're not alone. I also prefer dead tree books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: