The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

"The Jedi are All But Extinct"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> "The Jedi are All But Extinct"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: "The Jedi are All But Extinct" Reply with quote

So, thinking about the history of the Jedi, including legendary sources...

How many times do you think the Jedi and/or the Republic have been almost entirely wiped out? I mean, there's the Jedi Civil War. Then there's the Imperial period. In the Legacy era, you've got another time when there's no Jedi left.

I know we're talking about 20,000 years of history, but how often do they just die out and get reborn from a small group?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Jedi are All But Extinct" Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

How many times do you think the Jedi and/or the Republic have been almost entirely wiped out? I mean, there's the Jedi Civil War. Then there's the Imperial period. In the Legacy era, you've got another time when there's no Jedi left.

I know we're talking about 20,000 years of history, but how often do they just die out and get reborn from a small group?

More often than I would like. Back before I had heard about all this other history, I thought that Ol' Palpy's Jedi Purge was the only time the Jedi had (almost) been wiped out, which made Order 66's impact that much more poignant, especially as I watched it in the theater.

Now I hear that the Jedi were almost wiped out at least three more times in their history (or future history, as I count the Legacy Era since it's both an alternate universe and chronologically takes place after TFA would have). So one can't help but think this:

Quote:
What? Palpatine wiped out the Jedi and declared himself Emperor? No worries, the Jedi will return and fix everything! They always have before!

Ugh.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Jedi are All But Extinct" Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

"For over a thousand generations..." Me? I think there was the one such occasion, the one in Revenge of the Sith. I'm inspired by Lucas's original concept for the Sith that was very briefly described in TPM novelization. The Sith Order did not form until about 2,000 years before the films. Then there was 1,000 years of conflict between the Sith Order/Empire and the Jedi/Republic. For a short time at the end of that period, the Sith ruled the Republic. But during this time the Jedi were never almost wiped out, although I imagine they likely suffered their historically worst losses until Order 66 and the Jedi Purge. Following the defeat of the Sith, the old Republic was reformed into a new Republic and a long period of relative galactic peace began. Regarding the time between the formation of the old Republic to 2,000 years before the films, I only deal with it very vaguely. I'm not trying to completely rewrite the EU continuity from that era - I still try not to overtly contradict it. I have no issue with there also being other Dark Side Force orders besides the Sith. It's a big galaxy with a long history. I'm interested in seeing what the new trilogy will establish in canon about the origins of the Jedi order.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Jedi are All But Extinct" Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I'm interested in seeing what the new trilogy will establish in canon about the origins of the Jedi order.

With the revelation about Ahch-To (geshundeit!) being the first Jedi Temple and it being located in what in Legends was deep in the Unknown Regions, yeah, I'm curious to see how the Jedi's origins get (re)defined in The Last Jedi. I'm also curious to see why Luke picked this particular planet to hide out. What could be left there after 20,000+ years that would be useful against the First Order? Only 10 & 1/2 more months until we find out!
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocrons, untapped crystal caves.....carbonite frozen jedi masters....or just REALLY pretty lake front property....i'm going to miss Tython and Ossus though.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedKnight wrote:
I'm going to miss Tython and Ossus though.

Me too. I just found out about the Tho Yor ships and find them fascinating. Maybe an offhand mention in TLJ will canonize them? We'll see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: