The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

You Meet In A Tavern...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> You Meet In A Tavern... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the people on this forum love to make it harder on themselves, I swear, and will literally argue with anything...

I'm not saying planning a meeting before PC's are decided upon is impossible, just harder. The one putting the cart before the horse is the OP.

I usually wait until I have everyone's character types in mind to set up a series of events that results in their meeting.

You can create something beforehand, and it could be either slightly modified or completely shattered by the PC's your players choose. I prefer to avoid the "completely shattered" part and just wait a little while longer. That doesn't mean I stop thinking about it, I just try to prepare for every eventuality.

Also, arranging a first meeting is not arranging a campaign.

I still say: Find out what they're playing and go from there; it'll save you time and hassle in the end, I promise.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has their preferred method, Error. No right or wrong as far as I'm concerned. Sorry if you feel I'm arguing.

I used the method of starting the campaign that I outlined earlier as I knew that the players would want revenge on the people that set them up, effectively giving them their own "boss battles", giving me several different antagonists and stories as soon as the game started.
By the time they'd gone through their list, the characters had bonded and didn't even think of separating off.
I also had two players who weren't experienced with RPG's, so giving them a little guidance about character types really helped (as do the templates, of course).

Like I say, everyone has their own preferences. My only point of disagreement was that you said "you can't possibly think up a scenario that would explain the presence of all of them at the same time". Which isn't true.

I have tried doing something more along your lines before, and that worked too, so I'm certainly not saying it doesn't work or is a bad idea.

I really think it comes down to if you as the GM have a strong idea of what kind of campaign you want to run, or if you are happy to go with the flow a little bit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we love arguing. Otherwise this site would be bland Laughing Laughing
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Of course we love arguing. Otherwise this site would be bland Laughing Laughing

Then again, if we go over the top with arguing and say the wrong thing, then we'll all get banned, and this site will become bland anyway. Mr. Green

...I'll let myself out. Embarassed
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Of course we love arguing.

No we don't!

Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour? Very Happy
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry if I came off like a d*ck. It can happen... But no I don't think you're arguing, but I probably did when I read it last...

I certainly admit the existence of other ways. Generalized scenarios tend to work for everyone too of course, but need to be well thought-out, which I hate doing.

I contend that knowing the PC's types cuts down on the footwork and detailing necessary for that first adventure, at least for me. If you want to stash something for them to find nearby you can be more specific if you know the types too. I don't always do that but it can be fun to start them off with good weapons or armor or lots of money.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:

Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour? Very Happy

My random roll on the argument chart indcates its the full half hr version... 8)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Man, the people on this forum love to make it harder on themselves, I swear, and will literally argue with anything...
Error wrote:
Yeah sorry if I came off like a d*ck. It can happen... But no I don't think you're arguing, but I probably did when I read it last...

I may not agree with everything but I don't have any problem with your post, so I don't think you came across like that.

And BTW you have had some great input into this discussion. Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: