The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Noticing Blaster Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Noticing Blaster Fire Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there:

If the shot is from any amount of distance, and at night, the Perception roll would probably be easy (if the character is facing that direction) to moderate (if facing away but within earshot, PLUS add difficulty if the light is from around a corner or somehow "blocked" by architecture).

However, if the shot is point-blank, the GM can argue there would be less/no light (but still a sound)?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Just throwing this out there:

If the shot is from any amount of distance, and at night, the Perception roll would probably be easy (if the character is facing that direction) to moderate (if facing away but within earshot, PLUS add difficulty if the light is from around a corner or somehow "blocked" by architecture).

However, if the shot is point-blank, the GM can argue there would be less/no light (but still a sound)?

Blasters are loud. Unless there's a way to silence them (or at least cut down the noise), then anyone in the area will hear them. And yeah, as I said in my previous post and to reinforce WillTasker's point, if there are no visual obstacles in the way, they'll be seen too, especially at night. The human (and I assume most alien) eyes are drawn towards movement. Something as loud, fast and bright as a blaster bolt is not going to go unnoticed without special circumstances (like shoving the barrel of the blaster into the target's back and then firing).

(CASSIAN SHOT FIRST! And he did so three times in less than a minute, no less.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THere's no silencer out there for blasters to my knowledge.. Other than a few fan made attempts.
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Blasters are loud. Unless there's a way to silence them (or at least cut down the noise), then anyone in the area will hear them.

Oh I can come up with a dozen explanations how a blaster shot can be muffled just like a gunshot (a pillow over the barrel works in the movies, after all!) but then you could come up with a dozen ways it won't work. Smile

It comes down to what serves the GM/storytelling best.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation for this is the character makes a difficulty roll based on range of the weapon being fired (Easy, Moderate, Hard). This is modified by the environmental modifier (+1D, +2D, +4D). This to me, is quick and easy. If its at night, give a -1D modifier.

Example: Group is being shot at medium range, on a twilit night 15+2D, total 22 or 15+1D, total 18.

Per RAW this sounds a lot like the enemy is hiding or ambushing. In that case its an opposed roll, Search vs Hide. You could give an inverse modifier based on an environmental modifier of +1D, +2D or +4D to the Perception check of the Searcher if at night and the enemy using a blaster weapon.

Heavy overcast +1D
Twilight +2D
Moonless, overcast night +4D
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Blasters are loud. Unless there's a way to silence them (or at least cut down the noise), then anyone in the area will hear them.

Oh I can come up with a dozen explanations how a blaster shot can be muffled just like a gunshot (a pillow over the barrel works in the movies, after all!) but then you could come up with a dozen ways it won't work. Smile

It comes down to what serves the GM/storytelling best.

Thing is its, NOT just the blaster being fired that you need to worry about the sound of. ITS The blast of the bolt flying through the air, ionizing it as it flies.. PLUS the 'zing' as it hits.. A silencer, MIGHT be able to neuter the intial shot', but not the other 2 aspects..
Where as with firearms, all you need is sub-sonic rounds and a silencer to be good..
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I take as gospel the note that blasters can't be silenced... since I tend to go with the "magnetic bottle of plasma" theory of blasters, I figure the shriek of them is not unlike thunder... interaction of leaking plasma with the air.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
See, I take as gospel the note that blasters can't be silenced... since I tend to go with the "magnetic bottle of plasma" theory of blasters, I figure the shriek of them is not unlike thunder... interaction of leaking plasma with the air.

True. TFA had Kylo ren FREEZE that blaster bolt in place almost, and it STILL made crackling noise..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: