The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers and MAPs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force Powers and MAPs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I must have been using Force powers wrong all these years then. If a given PC wanted to use Lightsaber Combat, I'd just have that player roll Control and Sense. If both are successes, the character has LC "up" and takes a -1D MAP for that for any subsequent rounds while it is "up".

I had no idea every single roll concerning Force powers was supposed to count as an action and increase MAP's. Seems super counter intuitive to me, and also counter to WEG's other simple-to-understand D6 stuff.

Yup. Thats the way its supposed to work, as otherwise Jedi would be so uber powerful, they wouldn' ever stand a chance to get taken out.. YOU MAP them to death..

Error wrote:

Also, this is just my two cents (which nobody asked for), but stuff like Lightsaber Combat costing two MAP's per round to keep up is ridiculous. I don't care what Force power it is, if it's "up" I only penalize -1D. The characters seem to still get themselves into -3D or even -4D MAP's for certain rounds, though....

And that will lead to uber-jedi.. Imagine if a force user with 8d control, sense and alter, wished to use affect mind on 2 members of the party. NORMALLY cause of MAPS< he would need to declare 6 actions, and have a -5D to his rolls, so is down to only 3d vs what ever perception the pc's have.. Add in all the mods for relationship, and its NOT likely unles he pops a force point they will be affected.

However if you just make it where NO MATTER if its a one skill power, 2 skill power or 3 skill power, he only has -1d MAP period, that dark Jedi is now rolling 6D vs the PC's perception to affect mind 2 of them in the same round..
Big boost doncha think?

shootingwomprats wrote:
Another thing the same player pointed out to me was about Control Pain.

Quote:
Control Pain
Control Difficulty: Very Easy for wounded or stunned characters, Easy for incapacitated characters, Difficult for mortally wounded characters.

The power can be kept “up,” so the character can ignore the pain of injuries for a long period of time. However, whenever the character is injured again, the Jedi must make a new control pain roll, with the difficulty being the new level of injury.

Effect: A wounded Jedi who controls pain can act as if she has not been wounded, starting with the round after the power roll has been made. The wound is not healed, but the character doesn’t suffer the penalties of being wounded: a wounded Jedi doesn’t suffer any die code penalties; an incapacitated character can still act normally, as can a mortally wounded character.

This power can also be used to shrug off any stun results.

So this power is considered an action to invoke and to keep up. Yes a character who is stunned or wounded 1 that's a -1D negative modifier. SO its pretty useless unless the character is wounded 2, but most effective if incapacitated or worse. Its pretty much a throw away power. Thoughts?

Throw away. NO way. The fact you can still stay active at mortally wounded is great!

Quote:
I guess I always figured doing something with your feelings/intellect (accessing the Force) could be done concurrently with nearly anything. Meaning I have never penalized characters' Force skills when they want to bring up LSC and attack in the same round. I guess that does tend to tip the scales toward the more advanced characters even more than the official system.

So by that logic error, i should be able to use any # of mental skills (Know and Per) without Maps to my physical skills.. So in combat i could intimidate every foe WHILE beating them senseless with a club..

As for the concentration angle, if he's keeping "Up the control (or sense) side from round 1 to round 2, how is that NOT doing something else besides 'concentrating on the one skill?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As for the concentration angle, if he's keeping "Up the control (or sense) side from round 1 to round 2, how is that NOT doing something else besides 'concentrating on the one skill?

Because you are not "keeping up" Control. The rules allow you to roll the Force skill rolls in consecutive rounds to avoid a MAP. Powers using multiple skills are not activated until the last skill roll succeeds. How can you keep up a power before the power is even activated?

There is nothing in the rules that states you cannot do something else while rolling one of these multiple skill Force power rolls. As long as you are MAPed appropriately for that round, you're good. Concentration allows you to apply it to a single other skill roll. There is nothing that says it can't apply to one of the skill rolls for another power. If you had to activate LsC in one round, then you couldn't use Concentration because that would be two other skill rolls in the same round as Concentration.

You can roll the multi-skill Force power skill rolls in separate consecutive rounds. The only limit is they must be succeed consecutively. There's no rule on what else you do during that time. You can have your game work any way you want, but you're adding limitations to RAW that aren't there. Go up and re-read my first post with all the quotes from R&E.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a stretch to see that being applied. Additionally would you be OK having the dark jedi use that on say Injure/kill or some other power where the greater his roll on X determined the damage he dealt? Or would that concentration on the 1 skill power if a dual skill power is split, be a PC thing only?
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That is a stretch to see that being applied. Additionally would you be OK having the dark jedi use that on say Injure/kill or some other power where the greater his roll on X determined the damage he dealt? Or would that concentration on the 1 skill power if a dual skill power is split, be a PC thing only?

I was just interpreting RAW, which is what Dan was asking about in this thread. In RAW, the Concentration power rules would the same for NPCs. But the power says that it is more difficult for characters experiencing anger, fear, and aggression (the Dark Side) so it wouldn't be easy for a dark jedi.

Me personally, I really never cared for powers that just increase other rolls. Enhance Attribute is another one. We already have Character Points and Force Points that do that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: