The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Something "odd" in Rebels S3Ep13 "Warhead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Something "odd" in Rebels S3Ep13 "Warhead
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Something "odd" in Rebels S3Ep13 "Warhead Reply with quote

Ok, so this might is going to be plenty weird. I just finished watching today's episode of Rebels, where Zeb, AP-5 and Chopper find a damaged droid near the Rebel Base on Atollon. We see the droid scan Zeb and, from the droid's camera view, identify his species as Lasat (no surprise there). What really threw me for a loop in trying to read the Aurebesh that shoes up in the droid's HUD. Because for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what this particular thing meant.

If you pause the episode around 6:57, you can clearly see 3 things written in Aurebesh Basic. At the bottom left, we see a prominent and large "Scanning." At the middle right, the display says "Species: Lasat." But it's the third thing that really confused me. The scan highlights/points to Zeb's prominent eye orbits/eyebrow ridges and says "non bosco face". I triple-checked the Aurebesh and even typed it out on a Word document to see if it matched. It did. So my question to all of you is this:

WTF IS A "NON BOSCO FACE?"

I found a bunch of definitions of "bosco" at the Urban Dictionary, none of which would be appropriate to air on a kid's show. And Rebels in particular is usually very accurate with its blink-and-you'll-miss-it depictions of Aurebesh in its visual media (I've had alot of fun pausing Rebels in places just to translate the Aurebesh), so this is highly unlikely to be accidental.

So if anyone can tell me what a "non bosco face" is, please let me know.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Something "odd" in Rebels S3Ep13 "Warhead Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
I've had alot of fun pausing Rebels in places just to translate the Aurebesh

You're life may possibly be less exciting than mine. 8)

Sutehp wrote:
Ok, so this might is going to be plenty weird. I just finished watching today's episode of Rebels, where Zeb, AP-5 and Chopper find a damaged droid near the Rebel Base on Atollon. We see the droid scan Zeb and, from the droid's camera view, identify his species as Lasat (no surprise there). What really threw me for a loop in trying to read the Aurebesh that shoes up in the droid's HUD. Because for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what this particular thing meant.

If you pause the episode around 6:57, you can clearly see 3 things written in Aurebesh Basic. At the bottom left, we see a prominent and large "Scanning." At the middle right, the display says "Species: Lasat." But it's the third thing that really confused me. The scan highlights/points to Zeb's prominent eye orbits/eyebrow ridges and says "non bosco face". I triple-checked the Aurebesh and even typed it out on a Word document to see if it matched. It did. So my question to all of you is this:

I found a bunch of definitions of "bosco" at the Urban Dictionary, none of which would be appropriate to air on a kid's show. And Rebels in particular is usually very accurate with its blink-and-you'll-miss-it depictions of Aurebesh in its visual media... so this is highly unlikely to be accidental.

I have to say it is just a little easter egg/joke. I doubt it is in reference to one of those non-kid-friendly definitions, but even if it was, only adults or kids of a certain maturity are going to pause the show and decode the aurebesh. My best guess is it references this urban definition:

Quote:
adj. word that means awful to the worst extent
n. a person or thing who is like that

OR the top definition of the similar word "Boscoe":

Quote:
A Silly Man who thinks he is undefinable. There by defining himself as the undefinable. This paradox is known as a Boscoe.

It could just be to mess with people who bother to pause and decode the aurebesh!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Something "odd" in Rebels S3Ep13 "Warhead Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

I don't doubt it. Ever since I got back from my 3-week trip to India, my life has become alot less exciting and a great deal more frustrating.

Sutehp wrote:

I found a bunch of definitions of "bosco" at the Urban Dictionary, none of which would be appropriate to air on a kid's show. And Rebels in particular is usually very accurate with its blink-and-you'll-miss-it depictions of Aurebesh in its visual media... so this is highly unlikely to be accidental.

Whill wrote:
I have to say it is just a little easter egg/joke. I doubt it is in reference to one of those non-kid-friendly definitions, but even if it was, only adults or kids of a certain maturity are going to pause the show and decode the aurebesh. My best guess is it references this urban definition:

Quote:
adj. word that means awful to the worst extent
n. a person or thing who is like that

OR the top definition of the similar word "Boscoe":

Quote:
A Silly Man who thinks he is undefinable. There by defining himself as the undefinable. This paradox is known as a Boscoe.

Zeb doesn't strike me as a guy who thinks of himself as silly (quite the opposite) or undefinable (he doesn't seem to have any confusion or doubt as to who he is), so I'm thinking it's the former definition. After all, the phrase says "non bosco face" so Zeb's face is not awful to the worst extent, at least according to the easter egg. (Fans of the show might beg to differ.) I think this is reinforced by the fact that the label is pointing to Zeb's eyebrows/eye orbits.

Whill wrote:
It could just be to mess with people who bother to pause and decode the aurebesh!

It succeeded. Confused Not that I'm going to stop translating the Aurebesh in the future... Razz
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Ever since I got back from my 3-week trip to India...

OK, I take it back. I've never left the North American continent.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Ever since I got back from my 3-week trip to India...

OK, I take it back. I've never left the North American continent.

Dude, I'm actually an Argentine-American immigrant (born in Buenos Aires, but my family came to the US when I was just 2 months old). We've gone back to Argentina several times, we've traveled to Italy a few times (my mom was born there), I've traveled to England and Ireland once each during my college years and the capstone was this trip to India that my dad, my sister and I spent almost all of 2016 (and Christmas of 2015) arranging.

Needless to say, all the frequent flyer mileage my dad got for working for the World Bank were all well spent. Very Happy Laughing 8) Razz

Seriously, guys, if any of you get the chance to travel abroad, take it. It's totally non-boscoe. 8) (Yes, that was an Incredibly Lame Pun but I had to do something to get this thread back on track!) Razz
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Sutehp! As an Aurebesh aficionado, what can you tell us about the self-destruct countdown? It was supposed to be patterned after the one in Predator, and I was curious as to what the numbers actually said/read. How much time did they have, etc? (Because really, they seemed not appropriately concerned and didn't act with too much urgency -- even before Chopper froze the mechanism.)
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
Mister Sutehp! As an Aurebesh aficionado, what can you tell us about the self-destruct countdown? It was supposed to be patterned after the one in Predator, and I was curious as to what the numbers actually said/read. How much time did they have, etc? (Because really, they seemed not appropriately concerned and didn't act with too much urgency -- even before Chopper froze the mechanism.)

Yeah, I noticed that Shout Out to Predator as well. But no, none of those numbers were Aurebesh. Hell, in Aurebesh font, numerals just look like a futuristic styling or our regular old Arabic numerals. Aside from 6 (which looks like a dash above a square) and 9 (which looks like the reverse of 6, natch) all numerals in Aurebesh are easily recognizable. No, the countdown was not in Aurebesh.

As for AP-5's, Zeb's and Chopper's reactions to the countdown, none of them seem like the type to panic and run around with their head cut off. And Chopper did react quickly enough to freeze the countdown circuit with about 15 seconds to spare (we know it was roughly that amount of time because AP-5 said that the countdown had 20 seconds left only about 5 seconds or so before Chopper froze it).

EDIT: And there's no need to call me "Mister". We're all friends here. 8)
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Telsij wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that Shout Out to Predator as well. But no, none of those numbers were Aurebesh. Hell, in Aurebesh font, numerals just look like a futuristic styling or our regular old Arabic numerals. Aside from 6 (which looks like a dash above a square) and 9 (which looks like the reverse of 6, natch) all numerals in Aurebesh are easily recognizable. No, the countdown was not in Aurebesh.

As for AP-5's, Zeb's and Chopper's reactions to the countdown, none of them seem like the type to panic and run around with their head cut off. And Chopper did react quickly enough to freeze the countdown circuit with about 15 seconds to spare (we know it was roughly that amount of time because AP-5 said that the countdown had 20 seconds left only about 5 seconds or so before Chopper froze it).

Ah, true that, re: the Aurebesh numbers. It had been some time since I'd looked at its typeface charts. Thank you for the info either way!

And yeah, while I definitely also don't see Zeb and AP-5 as types to panic, they just didn't seem to be in any rush, whereas even with the mechanism frozen, seasoned soldiers would at least move double march/ double time, IMHO.

Though with Chopper, you never know, he is a coward one scene and then blessed with willpower 6D and Force Point worthy courage to boot, the next.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
And yeah, while I definitely also don't see Zeb and AP-5 as types to panic, they just didn't seem to be in any rush, whereas even with the mechanism frozen, seasoned soldiers would at least move double march/ double time, IMHO.

That's true, the three of them did seem to be a bit nonchalant about being near a live proton warhead. Then again, judging by the eventual explosion that ripped an Imperial Star Destroyer in half, Zeb and co. probably realized that there was no point in trying to run.

Telsij wrote:
Though with Chopper, you never know, he is a coward one scene and then blessed with willpower 6D and Force Point worthy courage to boot, the next.

He definitely blows from hot to cold and back really quickly, right? But then, he's like a cat: you can never tell what they're thinking or what they'll be inclined to do next. I think Pablo Hidalgo even said it: If R2-D2 is a faithful dog, then Chopper is a capricious cat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: