The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion Cannons: Why not Standard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Ion Cannons: Why not Standard?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Ion Cannons: Why not Standard? Reply with quote

So, I'm thinking about this, and wondering: Why aren't Ion Cannons standard on non-warships?

For example, let's take a standard freighter... a Ghtroc, a YT-1300, whatever. Civilian model, designed for freight hauling. Why does it have a blaster cannon? Why doesn't it have an Ion Cannon, which ignores shields and disables ships?
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannons: Why not Standard? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, I'm thinking about this, and wondering: Why aren't Ion Cannons standard on non-warships?

For example, let's take a standard freighter... a Ghtroc, a YT-1300, whatever. Civilian model, designed for freight hauling. Why does it have a blaster cannon? Why doesn't it have an Ion Cannon, which ignores shields and disables ships?

Ion cannons may be restricted weaponry because they makes piracy easier.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Maybe ion cannons are impractical and/or harder to build than standard laser? Or maybe there's some sort of legal ordinance or regulation forbidding ion cannons to civilians?

Actually, that makes sense now that I think about it. Ion cannons are meant to disable ships in advance of capture/boarding. That's not something a government would want civilians to do, because it's y'know, piracy. In that view, laser cannons (lethal but much less practical for capturing a ship) are a perfectly reasonable alternative for self-defense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion Cannons: Why not Standard? Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Ion cannons may be restricted weaponry because they makes piracy easier.

This. IMO cause OF their shield ignoring and shutting down of targets, i feel they are MORE controlled than blaster/laser cannons..

However, on say a personal ship converted into a mobile medical ship, i can easily see getting permission for ion cannons, to PREVENT stealing of the bacta onboard.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the blaster cannon was to 'destroy navigational hazards', i.e. shooting at asteroids and so on. An ion cannon would be spectacularly unsuited for blasting asteroids.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Har. Forbin and I had the same thought, but he posted right before I did. Good show, old chap! 8)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
If I recall correctly, the blaster cannon was to 'destroy navigational hazards', i.e. shooting at asteroids and so on. An ion cannon would be spectacularly unsuited for blasting asteroids.

And in some cases with say living ships, ion cannons may not even DO anything to them..!!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:

And in some cases with say living ships, ion cannons may not even DO anything to them..!!

Huh, is that part of Legends continuity, that ion cannons couldn't affect Yuuzhan Vong ships? I don't remember seeing anything like that in the New Jedi Order Sourcebook....

It would be another reason why the Vong invasion was so devastating if true.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I would figure their non-lethality would be a plus... you don't necessarily want civilians blowing up the ships that try to take them into custody... but anti-asteroid makes sense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Huh, is that part of Legends continuity, that ion cannons couldn't affect Yuuzhan Vong ships? I don't remember seeing anything like that in the New Jedi Order Sourcebook....

One of the alien species our sparks group developed had living ships that had 'abalitive armor', but were totally impervious to ion canon fire.. IIRC those living ships created by the planet Zomoa Sekot were also unaffected by ion fire...
As to the vong ships, i see it as similar.. Since they are animals, and its been pushed by many here ion doesn't affect living things, then it would stand to reason it wouldn't affect their ships..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Zarn wrote:

One of the alien species our sparks group developed had living ships that had 'abalitive armor', but were totally impervious to ion canon fire.. IIRC those living ships created by the planet Zomoa Sekot were also unaffected by ion fire...
As to the vong ships, i see it as similar.. Since they are animals, and its been pushed by many here ion doesn't affect living things, then it would stand to reason it wouldn't affect their ships.

Considering that Zonama Sekot and the Yuuzhan Vong came from the same place and are genetically related, it makes sense. If ion weapons couldn't affect Sekot bio-ships, then it stands to reason that they wouldn't affect Vong ships either.

Damn, that's impressive.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ported over an idea from the X-Wing PC game for ion canon. Specifically, rather than simply ignoring shields, they are particularly good at bringing shields down. In game terms, just roll ion damage against just the Shield dice, then treat the Shield dice as Cover for breakthrough damage purposes.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Considering that Zonama Sekot and the Yuuzhan Vong came from the same place and are genetically related, it makes sense. If ion weapons couldn't affect Sekot bio-ships, then it stands to reason that they wouldn't affect Vong ships either.

d*mn, that's impressive.

Don't go getting all excited yet. My thoughts on the Zoma sekot ships are not canon, and where i THOUGHT i saw it at, i didn't find corroboration unfortunately..
BUT to me it still makes sense.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

d*mn, that's impressive.

Don't go getting all excited yet. My thoughts on the Zoma sekot ships are not canon, and where i THOUGHT i saw it at, i didn't find corroboration unfortunately..
BUT to me it still makes sense.

Duly noted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: