The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Balneal (tidally locked ocean world)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings -> Balneal (tidally locked ocean world)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Balneal (tidally locked ocean world) Reply with quote

Balneal

Planet Name: Balneal
Type: Terrestrial
Temperature: Temperate (on day side)/Frigid (on night side)
Atmosphere: Type I
Hydrosphere: Moist (90% water)
Gravity: Standard
Terrain: Ocean, with plains and wetlands
Length of Day: N/A (Tidally locked)
Length of Year: 350 days
Sapient Species: 85% Humans, 10% Mon Cal, 5% Quarren
Starport: Standard
Population: 80,000
Planet Function: Agriculture, trade
Government: Imperial Governorship (previously federation)
Tech Level: Space
Major Exports: metals, foodstuffs
Major Imports: luxury goods, medicinal goods

System Name: Balneal
Star Name: Duqual
Region: Outer Rim Territories
Sector: Wyl Sector (close to the Listehol Run hyperspace route)

Orbital Bodies:

Name Planet Type Moons
Balneal Terrestrial 2
Vizren Gas Giant 16
Diquet Gas Giant 22

Capsule: Balneal was settled by the Old Republic only five centuries before the Battle of Yavin and may perhaps be a unique example in the galaxy’s stellar cartography: a tidally locked ocean planet with no axial tilt. As a result of having no axial tilt, Balneal does not have seasons. Furthermore, the night side of Balneal sports a few-meters thick layer of water ice floating over an entire hemisphere of ocean. Any ice that drifts into the day side quickly melts and joins the unfrozen ocean. Meanwhile, on the day side of Balneal, any ocean water that has evaporated due to the unrelenting sunlight drifts over to the night side of the planet and quickly freezes to become part of the night side’s ice layer. This feedback loop has created a global slipstream that makes Balneal significantly cooler than any tidally locked planet without a large hydrosphere. As a result, the day side of Balneal is relatively temperate. Once Republic scouts discovered this fact, several colony ships landed on Balneal’s two small continents in 504 BBY and began to settle the planet.

A small population of Mon Cals and Quarren have emigrated to Balneal since the colony’s founding. Most humans on Balneal appreciate the aquatic talents of the Quarren and Mon Cals, although there are some human malcontents who resent the “fish-heads.” Oddly enough, the Quarren and Mon Cals of Balneal tend to get along as they are so far removed from Mon Calamari’s politics.

Balneal’s only starport, Vardan Starport, is located on the western part of Balneal’s northwestern continent Silden. Travel between Silden and the southeastern continent of Chaklev is a simple, if somewhat time-consuming, matter as airspeeder travel between the two continents is lengthy but easily arranged.

Balneal mostly produces seafood for export to other planets in the Wyl sector. However, a number of solar farms exist on Chaklev which produce a variety of fruits and vegetables, which are considered delicacies among the mostly seafood-eating Balnealans. Also, as a result of the early colonists’ commitment to keeping Balneal free as possible of pollution, a number of wind farms were created off the coasts of Silden and Chaklev to help provide clean energy to the people of Balneal.

Significant mineral deposits were recently discovered on Balneal after the rise of Emperor Palpatine. As a result, an Imperial garrison has been established and the Imperial governor has begun to establish offshore mining operations. One particular operation destroyed a wind farm not far from Silden and has resulted in several brownouts at and around Vardan Spaceport and the surrounding communities. As a result, the population of Balneal (both human and non-human) is beginning to resent the new and unwanted presence of the Imperial troops. A few Balnealans are trying to seek their fortune offworld as result, while a few others are contemplating revolt.

Last edited by Sutehp on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it!
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Love it!

Error...this is just a repost of my answer to your request for your solar farm planet. Razz

I just decided to give it its own thread because you didn't comment on it in your thread and I didn't want my work (all 2 hours of it) to go to waste. 8)
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Smile
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just added the planet image to my original post. It's an artist's rendition of Kepler-22b, a planet thought to be an ocean world very much like Kamino. It doesn't have my 2 continents, but it's still a cool enough pic to be close enough for my purposes. 8)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

Sutehp wrote:
Just added the planet image to my original post. It's an artist's rendition of Kepler-22b, a planet thought to be an ocean world very much like Kamino. It doesn't have my 2 continents, but it's still a cool enough pic to be close enough for my purposes. 8)

Under the shadow on the right is ice, so that means that there is still some water/dayside not visible in the picture around the left side of the planet, in an amount equal to the shadow. There's plenty of room there for two small continents. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Planets, Locations, Eras, and Settings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: