The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Is it possible with current forum software to...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Is it possible with current forum software to...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Is it possible with current forum software to... Reply with quote

...divide the forums up even further? Like subforums for really specialized sh*t?

For example, the Ships & Equipment forum could definitely be divided into Ships and Equipment forums, and under the new Equipment forum, sections could be used for:

Weapons
Armor
Personal Gear
Items
etc.

Or do you guys like to keep everything in the same place because of low post volume? Dividing up forums would up exposure of older threads and allow browsers to get to what they're looking for without having to figure out how to search the forums.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not a fan of overly specific subforums, especially, as you note, with a relatively low post volume. As is, I can come back from a day or two and read everything new in ~20 minutes if I'm not responding to anything... highly specific subforums just create more visual clutter and make me click a lot more for the same amount of content.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Personally, I'm not a fan of overly specific subforums, especially, as you note, with a relatively low post volume. As is, I can come back from a day or two and read everything new in ~20 minutes if I'm not responding to anything... highly specific subforums just create more visual clutter and make me click a lot more for the same amount of content.

I understand what you mean about excessive compartmentalization being confusing and unnecessary for a forum with low daily posts. However, we have 161056 unique topics, which is a huge amount for a "low traffic" forum. It seems to indicate to me that at least some further division could be helpful. For example, I still contend that dividing Ships and Equipment is a good idea since both forums would fill up quickly. The rest of the forums are fine as they are...until they aren't.

Who do I need to petition to get Ships and Equipment divided?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means that whoever splits up Ships from Equipment will have to go through the entire thread and re-categorize every topic post in the section, which is about 1000 topics.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. You just go back through and sort the last 100 or so just to populate the two new forums, and make a sticky at the top of each forum that leads back to the others. Most topics are sortable just by by looking at the subject line as it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: