The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Questions and Suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Questions and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Questions and Suggestions Reply with quote

First of all, a question regarding the caption for this particular section:

"Discuss what you do/don't like about the website (not the forums). Make suggestions about what you'd like to see added."

What is the website mentioned? Or is it an artifact of a website that simply became its forums in time?

Secondly, though, some suggestions

1) I would like it if topics carried over in replies... if someone replies to a thread called "Fishmongers", all of the replies will be "Re: Fishmongers" unless someone changes them. I've got a habit of opening multiple threads then reading them, and it gets a touch confusing with default blank subject lines.
2) Is the "new post" function weird for anyone else? If I spend substantial time logged in (switching to other forums), going to new post shows the first new post since I first logged in, and will sometimes miss chunks of the conversation.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Suggestions Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
First of all, a question regarding the caption for this particular section:

"Discuss what you do/don't like about the website (not the forums). Make suggestions about what you'd like to see added."

What is the website mentioned? Or is it an artifact of a website that simply became its forums in time?

There was an actual main page with a few things on it, but there seems to be a redirect to the forums going on now. This is what comes up in a Google Chrome search for it:

The WEG SW book list with covers and the Dice Roller still comes up, but the Buy the Books link (whatever that was) gives a 404. The site owner and admin is Loc Taal and probably only he knows what's up with all that.

MrNexx wrote:
Secondly, though, some suggestions

1) I would like it if topics carried over in replies... if someone replies to a thread called "Fishmongers", all of the replies will be "Re: Fishmongers" unless someone changes them. I've got a habit of opening multiple threads then reading them, and it gets a touch confusing with default blank subject lines.

I've noticed the only way for the subject to appear automatically is for someone to use the Quote button in a specific post that has a subject. If someone quotes a post that doesn't have a subject, or uses the post reply button at the top and bottom of the thread page, there is no automatic subject. I agree that would be convenient for there to automatically be a subject, defaulting to the thread topic if not changed. Sometimes I do add a subject manually but most people don't do this most of the time.

MrNexx wrote:
2) Is the "new post" function weird for anyone else? If I spend substantial time logged in (switching to other forums), going to new post shows the first new post since I first logged in, and will sometimes miss chunks of the conversation.

I think you refer to the "View posts since last visit" link in the upper right. This has been a sore spot of mine too. After you have been logged into the forum for so long, it just assumes you looked at all the updated threads that you wanted to and no longer shows them, so you miss stuff. Other forums keep it there until I look at it, even if I've been logged into it for days.

I don't think the functionality for improvements to these things is possible in the current version of this forum's phpBB, and I'm guessing that if an upgrade is even possible, it would cost money. I remind myself that someone is paying the bill for this site to keep being here, and I am very thankful that it is, despite its imperfections. There's no harm in asking questions and making suggestions though, so thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered to try the Wayback Machine. Here is a version of the main page from February 19th this year:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160219150457/http://www.rancorpit.com/

There's some neat stuff!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I found posted on Facebook that is hosted by this site's "downloads" sections, but can no longer be navigated to directly.

http://www.rancorpit.com/download/EiE.pdf
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww man, we got a droid on the board ^

EDIT: There was a retail search term list above me just a second ago...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: