The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Brawling and Stun Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Brawling and Stun Damage Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the typical roll for Brawl damage? A STR roll?

I would say that since people IRL can pull their punches a little and not hit to kill every single time, SWU folks should be able to do that too.

If I was having a problem with brawling encounters ruining my games because people kept dying, I'd amend the damage kind of like Lightsaber Combat lets you do. Say your STR is 4D+1 and you have just scored a Brawling hit against your opponent. Using my proposed amendment, you would have the option of changing the 4D+1 to any other score as long as it is less.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

Yup. Brawl skill to hit, Str for damage, unless one has some of the optional martial arts special maneuvers that do Str+modifier.
Resist with Str + armor (if any).. So generally unless its say a wookie brawling into some mook (2d str), the average bounty hunter (3d+2 str) vs storm trooper (2d str +2d physical protection for armor) is not actually going to damage them. Even a wookie averages just a stun (5d vs 4d averages to 3.5 over soak which is stun level)..
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Error wrote:

Yup. Brawl skill to hit, Str for damage, unless one has some of the optional martial arts special maneuvers that do Str+modifier.
Resist with Str + armor (if any).. So generally unless its say a wookie brawling into some mook (2d str), the average bounty hunter (3d+2 str) vs storm trooper (2d str +2d physical protection for armor) is not actually going to damage them. Even a wookie averages just a stun (5d vs 4d averages to 3.5 over soak which is stun level)..

If it were me (and I described this on another thread, can't remember where), I would add the skill Brawn. It handles rolls that STR and other things cannot. If you max out your STR at (let's be generous; call it 4D+2) you're not going to be doing much more than stunning other people and only doing serious damage to randoms who have 2D STR. Bring in Brawn again, as your damage roll after a successful Brawling roll...you can get your hand-to-hand damage to 99D if you really want. And things get to be a little more realistic by being able to do serious damage and/or kill an enemy in or out of his or her armor.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What about CP/FP? Did the bounty hunter have any?

I'm not sure what you mean. The Bounty Hunter, my son's character, kicked a 'normie' in the stomach in the process of getting information. Kick killed him dead.
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on tweaks being needed for Brawling / Stun damage. In the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game there is a "Bar Room Brawling" scene in which they basically tell you to ignore the normal injury rules so that the players can focus on enjoying fisticuffs without resorting to blasters.

To me the current rules result in Brawling being too lethal as has been mentioned. I think there is a place for damage that can take you out of a fight just as effectively as a blaster but to do no lasting harm. Electrical attacks seem to fall into this category in a lot of media. The heroes walk into a room with an electrified floor, all cry out in pain, wake up prisoners of the big baddie. Or they take a blow to the back of the head, and seem to have no ill effects once they wake up.

On the other hand, I don't want players just pumping stun bolts into unconscious prisoners every few seconds, or repeatedly punching them in the head to keep they knocked out. So, perhaps "Non-lethal" damage that still could be dangerous if overused.

How about this:
Non-Lethal Damage Chart (Brawling, Blunt Weapons, Stun settings)
0-3 Stun as in standard damage rules
4-8 Dazed Temporary version of Wounded, wears off after short rest
9-12 Knocked Out Unconscious 2D6 rounds or until next scene
13-15 Concussed Unconscious and take a normal Wound
16-18 Serious Concussion Unconscious and Incapacitated
19-21 Coma Unconscious and Mortally Wounded

Note: Stun weapons are considered "safe". You may ignore the more serious effects if only used once on a target. However repeated uses of a stun stetting could result in permanent damage.

Last edited by CaptainKorbak on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKorbak wrote:
I agree on tweaks being needed for Brawling / Stun damage. In the Star Wars Introductory Adventure Game there is a "Bar Room Brawling" scene in which they basically tell you to ignore the normal injury rules so that the players can focus on enjoying fisticuffs without resorting to blasters.

To me the current rules result in Brawling being too lethal as has been mentioned.

But inless you are having brawl fights between someone at 4+2 str vs an average 2d str person, they shouldn't always be lethal... Even 4d vs 2d on average produces a wound..
CaptainKorbak
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

But inless you are having brawl fights between someone at 4+2 str vs an average 2d str person, they shouldn't always be lethal... Even 4d vs 2d on average produces a wound..

Good point. I chose my words poorly. What I meant to say was "lingering wounds or even incapacitated". Taking a player or NPC out of the rest of the adventure.

Even when evenly matched 3D6 vs. 3D6 produces a swing-y enough number range to end up with one of the participants Wounded, Incapacitated, or Mortally Wounded. 0-15 damage range. That is not even factoring the exploding Wild Die. And the Wild Die explodes 1 in 6 rolls. Which brings Death not too infrequently into the picture even in a friendly sparring match or bar room brawl.

Found an interesting stat on the web. When rolling 3D6 with a Wild Die odds of rolling a 19 or better are 5.20% . Odds of rolling a 22 or better are 2.07% . Granted 1 in 50 is not frequent, but it is not what I call rare either.

http://www.daemonstorm.com/role-playing/d6-system/D6-Probabilities-with-the-Wild-Die

Stuns and Wounds certainly are more common, but even one or two Wounds can keep a hero out of the rest of the adventure.

I would rather Brawling feel like a less lethal option that pulling a Blaster, even a Hold-Out Blaster.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainKorbak wrote:

Stuns and Wounds certainly are more common, but even one or two Wounds can keep a hero out of the rest of the adventure.

Maybe the rest of that fight, but the rest of the adventure? Don't they carry med packs and have someone with the first aid skill to heal them up??
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I had the opportunity to use the D6 Space rule for Brawling. The wookiee player knocked out 4 guards with relative.ease. Though with wild die coming up on both sides, I does make it harder to judge the effectiveness of the rule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: