The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Empowered Weapon Combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Empowered Weapon Combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Empowered Weapon Combat Reply with quote

This is a write-up for a new Force power I think I will be using in my games for those Force-sensitive characters who want to be comparably as effective with an empowered melee weapon as a Jedi with a Lightsaber. It is essentially Lightsaber Combat (you may recognize some of the language) except written to accommodate a different melee weapon which has had Empower Weapon used on it, and it also increases the base damage of that weapon from the 4D as written in the Empower Weapon power to the 5D of a traditional lightsaber in order to further level the playing field. A power such as this one might technically already have existed in-universe; it would help to explain characters like Vodo-Siosk Baas having success fighting Jedi with only his quarterstaff.

Name: Empowered Weapon Combat

Prerequisites: Empower Weapon

Control Difficulty: Moderate

Sense difficulty: Easy

Note: This power may be kept "up." This power may only be used if the character trying to use it has previously used Empower Weapon on a melee weapon he or she has.

Effect: If the character is successful in using this power, the base damage of the empowered melee weapon he or she holds increases to 5D. Also, he or she adds her Sense dice to her Melee Combat and Melee Parry skill rolls when attacking and parrying. The character may add or subtract part or all of his or her Control dice to the weapon's damage; players must decide how many Control dice they are adding or subtracting when the power is activated. A character who fails when trying to activate Empowered Weapon Combat may only use the Melee Combat and/or Melee Parry skills for the duration of the combat. Finally, the character may use Empowered Weapon Combat to parry blaster bolts as a "reaction skill." The character may also attempt to control where deflected blaster bolts go; this is a "reaction skill" and counts as an additional action. (The player cannot full parry when trying to control deflected bolts.) If the character tries to control the blaster bolt, he or she makes a Control roll: the difficulty is the range of the target (use the original weapon's ranges) or the target's dodge roll. The blaster bolt's damage stays the same.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the Str+XD is already better than 5D?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also to deflect blaster bolts with just any weapon, shouldn't they also have to have empower weapon up and active?? Or is it 'assumed' that power kicks in via use of this power??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
What if the Str+XD is already better than 5D?

The original Empower Weapon takes the given weapon to a base 4D no matter where it started. That's not too useful...until you have Empowered Weapon Combat up. You get to add your Sense dice to your attack and blocking rolls, and you get to add or subtract a number of your Control dice from the damage.

Let's say you start out with a weapon that does STR+2D, and your STR = 4D. So that weapon does 6D. Unless it's a lightsaber (5D always) or (now) an empowered weapon, you don't get to add dice to any combat skills or alter the damage at all. But if you Empower it and then use this (EWC), you get to do all that cool stuff.

garhkal wrote:
Also to deflect blaster bolts with just any weapon, shouldn't they also have to have empower weapon up and active?? Or is it 'assumed' that power kicks in via use of this power??

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. This power's section on blocking blaster bolts was lifted directly from the Lightsaber Combat one. So I think the power pretty much says you can block blaster bolts (and deflect them) with an empowered weapon if you are also using this power. The 'Note' section also says you need to have an empowered weapon already to use this one. As long as you have Empowered Weapon Combat up, your weapon pretty much acts like a lightsaber and can even fight against them without breaking.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion seems to allude to another ability that may or may not be called "empower weapon." Where can this other ability/force power be found?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in Tales of the Jedi Companion.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
This discussion seems to allude to another ability that may or may not be called "empower weapon." Where can this other ability/force power be found?

This is where I found it. However, now there seems to be some confusion as to whether Empower Weapon is a house-ruled Force power or if it is in the RAW. Either way, it's obviously a real power that can be found in the books and comics and it's fine the way it's written.

Raven Redstar wrote:

Where can I find that?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, leaving aside "Empowered Weapon", "Lightsaber Combat" is a decent model for all sorts of precognitive combat powers. Throw in a Deflect Energy requirement and you can use it as the basis for a martial arts character, for example.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Really, leaving aside "Empowered Weapon", "Lightsaber Combat" is a decent model for all sorts of precognitive combat powers. Throw in a Deflect Energy requirement and you can use it as the basis for a martial arts character, for example.

So true. It's a testament to the versatility of the D6 system.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. This power's section on blocking blaster bolts was lifted directly from the Lightsaber Combat one. So I think the power pretty much says you can block blaster bolts (and deflect them) with an empowered weapon if you are also using this power. The 'Note' section also says you need to have an empowered weapon already to use this one. As long as you have Empowered Weapon Combat up, your weapon pretty much acts like a lightsaber and can even fight against them without breaking.

What i am asking, is LS combat allows the blocking of blaster bolts, cause a lightsaber is pure energy.. And thus CAN block them. Normal melee weapons can't unless made of specific metals (Phriik or cortis).. SO how is this power 'allowing a mundane melee weapon' to be strong enough to block said bolts??
IS it also imbuing the weapon with a supernatural resilience?? IF so, shouldn't that then mean it has a HIGHER difficulty to activate than LS combat would??
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Error wrote:

What i am asking, is LS combat allows the blocking of blaster bolts, cause a lightsaber is pure energy.. And thus CAN block them. Normal melee weapons can't unless made of specific metals (Phriik or cortis).. SO how is this power 'allowing a mundane melee weapon' to be strong enough to block said bolts??
IS it also imbuing the weapon with a supernatural resilience?? IF so, shouldn't that then mean it has a HIGHER difficulty to activate than LS combat would??

Gonna play the Space Pulp card here. I'm not going to explain exact physical properties and get into physics or say a weapon made out of this metal or that one behaves any differently for these purposes. The Empower Weapon power gives the weapon "for all intents and purposes" the same properties as a light weapon, and that's what I'm going with here. Also, yes, I am saying that this power lets any empowered weapon no matter what material or shape block and deflect blaster bolts just like a lightsaber.

Your version can be more difficult if it makes sense to you, my reasoning for leaving it the same here is: I imagine the Jedi using the exact same mental preparation and internal execution and the same "Force" as he or she would Lightsaber Combat. Besides, with Empower Weapon already needing to be "kept up" for Empowered Weapon Combat to work, and it itself also needing to be kept up, you can see that the penalties begin to stack up quickly, and this power is not something you'll catch a novice using. You need to get to like 10D+ in certain areas before it becomes worth it.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I agree. For me, it would come down to whether the power (or any house rule, for that matter) would be disruptive to the campaign or play style. If not, then I've been known to not even require a roll to activate (or even assess a MAP for keeping it up).
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
^^^ I agree. For me, it would come down to whether the power (or any house rule, for that matter) would be disruptive to the campaign or play style. If not, then I've been known to not even require a roll to activate (or even assess a MAP for keeping it up).

Totally. The great test of any house rule is, "Does it break the game?" If the answer is no, then get down with your bad self Shocked
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:

Raven Redstar wrote:

Where can I find that?

It was an official WEG sourcebook.

I believe the page on D6 holocron was directly copied from the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: