The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Teleporters & wraith feeding/Stargate Atlantis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Teleporters & wraith feeding/Stargate Atlantis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Teleporters & wraith feeding/Stargate Atlantis Reply with quote

NOTE: This is made as an attempt to generate rules for certain tech/racial traits of the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis (SGA) into a SW setting....

I was thinking of trying to port Wraith and their ships into SW, but am hitting a snag on how i would run their feeding and their Beaming/teleporters.

On the beaming tech, i can easily see it being a 'to hit roll' with the targets getting a chance to dodge. BUT how would i run it if they are hit? Have it be an all or nothing, if you are hit, you are sucked up into the waiting dart?
Have it be a duration effect, where you can 'stop the beam sucking you up for X number of rounds?

What about when they are 'reintegrated, since as per SGA, when someone is beamed into the wraith storage units, then downloaded again they come out unconscious.

For the Wraith feeding, i at least have a potential force power, Drain life Essence" as a way to base it off of, along with the Sith power of drain life (which they use to heal).. but both lack the aging component Wraith feeding has.

Linked to this. Is how would one run say a Gou'ald symbiont taking over a host? Would it just completely re-write the hosts kno/per/tech/mech? add to it?

Last edited by garhkal on Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did what i could for doing a write up of the wraith ships and put it on the holocron.

for the wraith dart beam/teleporters i left it blank intentionally. cause while i felt it was more of a starship gunnery thing much in the way one might use a tractor beam, others felt it needed a completely new set of rules and skills that would better reflect the use of the weapon/tool. i felt that new rules and skills would bog down the system too much and take away from the story and flow of the game mechanics.

the wraith life draining effect. i tried to do a write up of the wraith and kept fiddling with it again and again and again until i just threw it out there and left it alone. i asked a few for help and many said that the wraith were too powerful to be in star wars other said that i should have made them as equals to a human in attributes and lessen the special abilities, though they later admitted they knew little of the wraith since they never watched all of SGA.

admittedly i never touched on the goa'uld for the exact reason of how to do it. as just the worm it would have decent mental stats but craptacular physical ones. but within a host it would technically have the same mental abilities but boost the physical abilities of the host while it was in control. plus theres that whole aspect that a strong minded person is hard for a goa'uld to control. also when the host undergoes physical abuse the host has a chance to temporarily regain control of of its body. also the host is able to influence the goa'uld while to goa'uld is in control. another aspect is of the tok'ra. when blended the tok'ra gains some of the hosts philosophies and beliefs, thus altering its normal behavior patterns.

i try to limit who i would ask for imput during a write up of crossover material because everyone has a different idea of what should go into it based on their own feelings, i try to just use canon sources as best as i can.

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wraiths feeding leaving permanent damage is a poor fit with the D6 Star Wars universe. On SGA it's mostly used on NPCs, or the PCs have some conveninet way of reversing it.

Mechanically, I'd go with opposed Wraith Will Power verses victims Will Power or Stamina, whichever is higher. Each point the wraith wins by ages the victim by at least a year. If damage beyond stun is inflicted, wounds are permanently deducted from STR, Incapacitated victims are comatose. I'd also mandate the the vicim needs to be helpless before a Wraith can feed on them.

Wraith would also be able to reduce their damage to slowly feed, on a moderate Will Power Roll. Not only does is this appropraite to the fiction, the Wraith enjoying their meal, but it allows PC time to be rescued.

To make this less severe, and more Star Wars appropriate, I'd suggest that long stays in Bacta Tanks reverse this damage.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW already has precedent for energy draining (of sorts) in ion cannon rules. If it were me, I would apply the ion penalties as temporary Strength damage, with 1 pip of permanent damage for every 1D drained (plus an appropriate loss of x# years lost from life expectancy), with the subject dying if reduced to 0D Strength. The numbers may not work for you (I was never a huge follower of SG: Atlantis, so I don't know all the details), but the basic idea is already in the RAW.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centinull wrote:
I'd also mandate the the vicim needs to be helpless before a Wraith can feed on them.

In the show we see several instances of the Wraith feeding on someone IN combat as part OF the combat, as a means to not only heal, but to reduce the enemy #s.
Centinull
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Centinull wrote:
I'd also mandate the the victim needs to be helpless before a Wraith can feed on them.

In the show we see several instances of the Wraith feeding on someone IN combat as part OF the combat, as a means to not only heal, but to reduce the enemy #s.

I would argue that this was mostly done for dramatic effect to futher the story. Star Wars D6 is a game, where balance should matter. I'd encourage they at least successfully grapple their prey before they can feed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That i can agree with.

What of their other abilities (such as their telepathy and 'illusionary powers'..) A form of receptive telepathy and affect mind?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, bringing this up with my first run at showing a wraith and their powers..

Wraith Drone
Alien race hybred of human and iratus bug
Dex 1d+1 to 3d+1
Know 1d to 3d
Mech 1d+2 to 3d+2
Str 3d to 5d
Per 2d to 4d
Tech 1d to 3d

Wraith drones are often seen as mindless soldiers for the wraith, rarely able to take actions on their own without the controlling mind of an adult male or female presence in the "Hive mind".

Wraith male
Dex 2d to 4d
Know 2d+1 to 4d+1
Mech 1d+2 to 3d+2
Str 3d to 5d
Per 2d to 4d
Tech 1d+2 to 3d+2

Wraith males are the day to day operators and managers of wraith operations and ships. They are well versed in all aspects of ship functions and form the bulk of non drone wraith encountered. Stronger than drones in the hive mind, they still pale in comparison to a wraith female or even more a wraith queen...

Wraith queen
Dex 1d+2 to 3d+2
Know 3d+2 to 5d+2
Mech 1d+2 to 3d+2
Str 4d to 6d
Per 3d to 5d
Tech 1d to 3d

Wraith queens are truely frightening. Their mental powers are capable of bringing most ANYONE to their knees, even in a SW realm force users.. Unlike most other wraith they do not generally operate or repair the ships, but act as the central leader for a hive or group of hives.
They also are the ones who birth all other wraith, sometimes just cloning themselves into machines to create drones or actually birthing wraith males. They often are the hub for wraith psychic networks.

ALL wraith are long lived, and as long as they are properly fed, could live practically forever. All wraith communicate via a 'mental network of sorts' so don't actually have names.
Also due to wraith being long lived, they have developed an intuition to understand new technology they encounter, gaining a -5 to the difficulty to use or understand new tech the first time they encounter it.

Wraith drones gain a +1d to their starting willpower skill, Males gain +2d, and queens gain +4d.

Wraith must feed on humans (or humanoids) to survive, requiring 1 pip of Str/Dex a week. If they don't or can't feed, this hunger comes from themselves. They can hibernate (go into a self created stasis like condition, which shifts the 'requiring 1 pip of life force' to one a YEAR vice one a week.
They can store up to their Strength rating in pips worth of 'food' for later consumption, but can also gorge themselves in combat situations to either rapidly heal up (each 2 full dice consumed heals one wound level taken already), OR each full dice consumed if at full health, gives one extra wound level.
Wound levels given in this manner fade at the rate of 1 a day.

To feed, they must have a target either grappled (successful brawl attack, then 'feed' as a 2nd action) OR the victim must be subdued (stunned, tied up, surprised). If this occurs then roll the wraith's willpower vs the targets willpower OR stamina (PC's always use which ever is higher). If the wraith gets higher, the for each 4 points (or fraction thereof) he is beating the target by, he 'consumes' One pip of the victims life force (combined Strength and Dex scores in PIPS). Each pip consumed "Ages" the victim by 5 years physically though no mental aging occurs. "Consumed" life force comes from Dex, then Str, Then dex, then str taking 1 pip from each in order, till EITHER Dex or Str reaches 0d. Then the target is dead.

While being Fed on a victim cannot do any action to resist/remove the wraith's feeding hand, but can only attempt to resist (spend FP/CP to help boost his willpower/stamina).

Consumed life force from a victim cannot be healed by normal means, and even if any wounds received are healed, the aging of the body (and stat reduction) still exists. ONLY Once feeding has stopped do you adjust down skills based on those 2 attributes.

Wraith are also known for 2 mental powers. The first is an illusionary skill that they use to confuse and scare people with. Roll their willpower versus the perception of the target(s) (roll highest if more than one target is in the AOE +3 per other target). If successful, then all targets 'see wispy ghost like forms continually moving around.

The 2nd is more of a mind control. This is a direct mental dominance, and needs to be done one on one. Resisting the dominance of a wraith queen, is a rare feat indeed. Not only can someone be dominated, but they can be mind probed. Roll off willpower vs willpower. NO force skills/powers can add to the resistance.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Teleporters and "wraith feeding" Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I was thinking of trying to port Wraith and their ships into SW, but am hitting a snag on how i would run their feeding and their Beaming/teleporters...

What are you guys talking about?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably StarGate: Atlantis, and the Wraith. http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wraith And how to use that in a Star Wars way.

Last edited by Zarn on Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Teleporters and "wraith feeding" (Stargate: At Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I was thinking of trying to port Wraith and their ships into SW, but am hitting a snag on how i would run their feeding and their Beaming/teleporters...

What are you guys talking about?

Zarn wrote:
Probably StarGate: Atlantis, and the Wraith. http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Wraith And how to use that in a Star Wars way.

Zarn, Thanks. garhkal, could you please specify what franchise you're talking about in the OP, preferably in the thread's title. Not everyone watches all the same TV shows you do. I've never seen "SGA" or any Stargate TV series. To me, Stargate is 1994 Kurt Russell film I have on VHS. No one in the thread even mentioned "Stargate" until after I asked. Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial post edited..

So any comments on what i came up with for the wraith feeding?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: