The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars planets and voting??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Star Wars planets and voting??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Star Wars planets and voting?? Reply with quote

With all the space travel, tourists, off world engineers/workers etc on planets through out the empire, how do you think they handle voting?
Have you ever had a game WHERE something was being voted on, during the time the players were there (like say the planetary governor was up for re-election and a 'secretly pro-rebel sympathizer was running against him)?
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be an awesome hook if my players could pick up on it
D+1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Starwars planets and voting?? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
With all the space travel, tourists, off world engineers/workers etc on planets through out the empire, how do you think they handle voting?
Have you ever had a game WHERE something was being voted on, during the time the players were there (like say the planetary governor was up for re-election and a 'secretly pro-rebel sympathizer was running against him)?

Citizens in an Empire wouldn't vote - It's an autocracy. If they do vote it's at a local/planet level on issues and candidates that the Empire does not care about and not an issue. If the Empire did care about the issue or need a new leader in some area then the issue would be decided from the top, NOT from the bottom.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... set it just before TPM, and Sidious's agents are seeking to influence the vote for Queen...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Starwars planets and voting?? Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Huh... set it just before TPM, and Sidious's agents are seeking to influence the vote for Queen...

The James Luceno novels Cloak of Darkness and Darth Plagueis show that happening.

D+1 wrote:
Citizens in an Empire wouldn't vote - It's an autocracy.

Not only do I disagree, but it would seem that the rest of your post contradicts your first sentence. Most Imperial Governors were not appointed by the Empire. "The Empire left the self-government of many planets intact, especially those that were either indifferent or supportive of the New Order. Less than 1/80th of all planets had their governments altered." That means that a lot of those 79/80th of all planets could have had representative democracy for the election of planetary governor, as garhkal's scenario describes. So some citizens in the Empire could indeed vote.

D+1 wrote:
If they do vote it's at a local/planet level on issues and candidates that the Empire does not care about and not an issue. If the Empire did care about the issue or need a new leader in some area then the issue would be decided from the top, NOT from the bottom.

Indeed. Planetary governors are local offices. I don't read garhkal's post as in any way suggesting Imperial Citizens voted on Emperor, Moffs, Imperial Navy Admirals or any such things. However many Imperial Senators could have been democratically elected by sector citizens, if that's how the sector determined their senator. Most planetary governments continued operating largely as they had before the rise of Empire.

garhkal wrote:

I think it would be rather rare that non-citizens of planets would officially be allowed to vote in local elections. But I would think voting could work largely as it does here, just with better technology for it. Planets would have various degrees of corruption throughout the election system, also like on Earth.

An interesting question arises from your scenario, garhkal. How far would the Rebellion go in creating, encouraging and participating in the corruption of local democracies for the sake of furthering the Alliance cause of overthrowing the Empire? Despite the Alliance's declared purpose of restoring the Republic, Mon Mothman ironically wielded 'late Clone Wars era Supreme Chancellor with emergency powers' authority in the Alliance. Would the Alliance 'fix' local elections to further their cause? I think so. Desperate times.

That could make for an interesting adventure.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for how to handle VOTING in one of your games, you can just fiat a win or a loss for a particular candidate, or if you are one of the industrious types, you could roll dice for it.

Either way, elections and the various events leading up to them could really make a sweet ADVENTURE HOOK, like one of the posters above me noted. Maybe one of the candidates disappears or is killed? And worse, it was done by factions from a rival system somewhere else in the sector? Maybe a group of dissident slicers seeks to UNDERMINE the results by interfering electronically?

Seems pretty cool to me.

As another poster above me noted, it is very likely LOCAL ELECTIONS took place in almost every corner of the Empire even at its height. We don't even have to be talking GOVERNORS of systems or sectors. We can be talking local officials, members a planetary or national governments, executive posts on colony worlds, judicial entities, etc. It would be safe to assume that most of those planets which conducted elections prior to the establishment of the Empire would continue to do so. Of course there are also those planets who are ruled by kings or queens (or an analog) who are of a hereditary bloodline, and who also may simply appoint officials ad hoc.

I'm sensing...lots of adventure space around some of these items.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Starwars planets and voting?? Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

An interesting question arises from your scenario, garhkal. How far would the Rebellion go in creating, encouraging and participating in the corruption of local democracies for the sake of furthering the Alliance cause of overthrowing the Empire? Despite the Alliance's declared purpose of restoring the Republic, Mon Mothman ironically wielded 'late Clone Wars era Supreme Chancellor with emergency powers' authority in the Alliance. Would the Alliance 'fix' local elections to further their cause? I think so. Desperate times.

That could make for an interesting adventure.

Or rather than the suggestion of 'put a rebel sympathizer' running, try to dig up sufficient dirt on the current 'pro=imperial' governor and try to get him ran out of office..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: