The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Interstellar Journalism
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Interstellar Journalism Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that that is also due to a difference in Difficulty. A lot of those criminals who meet with reporters also have massive egos, and know that the reporter is looking for an interview, not an arrest. The crime lord in question knows about both people looking for him; he just doesn't want to meet with one of them.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be a fun campaign. remote cameras and such from the fantastic technologies.

combine the production team and a slicer team make some footage and then the slicer team gets the footage out.

oh well
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interrogation could also be useful, prying information out in an interview, not the thumbscrew and hot pincer variety Laughing

The hard hitting journalist who is after the truth asking the hard questions.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dic1 wrote:
Interrogation could also be useful, prying information out in an interview, not the thumbscrew and hot pincer variety Laughing

The hard hitting journalist who is after the truth asking the hard questions.

"Tonight on Will O'collie, we are having a hard hitting one on one with the infamous Wookie pirate, Schwararar.."
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had the Holonet inform in some way or another on my sessions and campaigns. I figure it is pretty free since you can technically broadcast from anywhere you like. IMO, suppression and whatnot of various content isn't something Imperials would waste resources on, but that's me taking the Real World and inserting it into the SWU...

Larger news organizations obviously would be a lot easier to suppress.

A pirate radio operator on the run, however...

Hey! That gives me an idea:

So you've got your content, right? It's ready for broadcast. Except you need enough juice to get it to its intended target(s). That's a whole adventure in itself...sneaking onto a planet and into a power station that's likely adjacent to a larger or very large city, all to post something to the Holonet.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
So you've got your content, right? It's ready for broadcast. Except you need enough juice to get it to its intended target(s). That's a whole adventure in itself...sneaking onto a planet and into a power station that's likely adjacent to a larger or very large city, all to post something to the Holonet.

That is a cool adventure idea. My impression was that there were also illegal networks on the HoloNet that you could gain access to and send/receive, and that might be available anywhere that has general HoloNet access.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
My impression was that there were also illegal networks on the HoloNet that you could gain access to and send/receive, and that might be available anywhere that has general HoloNet access.

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this, but it would probably be better suited to the Interstellar Communications topic...

Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Wars Rebels.had a episode like this. They.broke into a Communication tower to upload a message of hope and rebellion.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also feel like journalism in general would be something relegated to "first-world" planets/sectors/etc. What I mean is you're probably not going to get a whole lot of news if you're prospecting for phrik in Wild Space...
DonaldLindeman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: RE: Reply with quote

I like the adventures. That is a great idea to be implemented into a reality. The job of a journalist is interesting; preparing the materials to be broadcast on TV is amusing, in my point! You may always read or even write an article on this topic - follow http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/essay-on-journalism-is!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
My impression was that there were also illegal networks on the HoloNet that you could gain access to and send/receive, and that might be available anywhere that has general HoloNet access.

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this, but it would probably be better suited to the Interstellar Communications topic...

It would seem to be relevant in this thread. The Star Wars Adventure Journal regular feature Galaxywide NewsNets (which stated in Issue # 3) had a newsfeed called Cynabar's InfoNet which was ran by a mysterious smuggler. There is another newsfeed called Independent Traders' Infonet: "Although licensed, it was closely monitored by Imperial authorities on the lookout for smugglers and other illegal trade activities." There is no mention of Cynabar's InfoNet being monitored by the Empire, and Cynabar knew about Thrawn being promoted to Grand Admiral and tracked his movements before most Imperial personnel even know about his secret promotion. My impression was that Cynabar's InfoNet used the same galaxywide holonet that legitimate newsfeeds did, but it was a secret "sliced-in" shadowfeed of some kind. I don't really have any other thoughts about the technical side of it at this time.

But since you are interested in my thoughts, I will read the introductory article about Galaxywide NewsNets in SWAJ3 (if I ever read it before it was probably in 1994, before I had any real life experience with our internet). As I recall there were descriptions of pirate, smuggler and Rebel newfeeds, and perhaps it will discuss if these use separate networks, or if they exist in shadowy underworld sections of the HoloNet which has been my lingering impression.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It would seem to be relevant in this thread.

I was more interested in the technical aspects of slicing the Holonet, which would be more pertinent to the Interstellar Communications topic. How the characters would use it in a gaming scenario would be relevant here.

I have a couple days off, so I may thread-bump Interstellar Communications with the basic idea and see what people think...

Whill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:
It would seem to be relevant in this thread.

I was more interested in the technical aspects of slicing the Holonet, which would be more pertinent to the Interstellar Communications topic. How the characters would use it in a gaming scenario would be relevant here.

I have a couple days off, so I may thread-bump Interstellar Communications with the basic idea and see what people think...

I replied in that thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: