The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

1st -> 2nd -> 2nd Revised -> 2nd Revised & Expa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> 1st -> 2nd -> 2nd Revised -> 2nd Revised & Expa
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AslanC
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: 1st -> 2nd -> 2nd Revised -> 2nd Revised & Expa Reply with quote

As the title suggests, what are the differences between each one?

Thanks in advance.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st -> 2nd -> 2nd Revised -> 2nd Revised & Reply with quote

AslanC wrote:
As the title suggests, what are the differences between each one?

Thanks in advance.

Uhhh...

I don't think you realize the magnitude of what you are asking...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there's a few intermediary steps there - there was a Rules Companion for the GM screen also in there, as well as the Cracken's field guide rules, the SpecForces rules, and possibly a couple more.

Giving the 30,000 feet explanation off the top of my head, and in a couple of sentences: The 1st edition had dice codes for almost everything, including speed. It also had a rather shaky approach to skill specializations.

The 2nd edition gave explicit speeds and a number of "moves" (maybe related to the Star Warriors board game / scenario playtests - I'm fuzzy on the timeline), tidied the specialization rules, and then promptly jumped into the Advanced (A) skills with both feet. The Revised and Revised and Expanded tidied the mess from the 2nd edition somewhat, but I prefer the Blue Book (2nd edition).

Somewhere, the concept of a Wild Die gets included - I'm unsure where, but I'm suspecting either the Rules Companion or 2nd edition.

But, as CRMcNeill mentioned, a detailed blow-by-blow description is a massive undertaking as the tweaks between editions accumulate, and as one defines a certain set of rules.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My play groups have run both 1E rules and then a few years later the 2R&E.

WEG made most things pretty interchangeable. By that, I mean that a person who knows 1E only would not have -any- difficulty moving to 2R&E. It's the same game! Just some of the peripheral rules and stats change.

Some folks can list off the differences pretty easily; I can't. To me it has always been the same game, with some fine tuning added in later in its life as feedback came in from folks using 1E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: