The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Raen Sovra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> The Raen Sovra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: The Raen Sovra Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm planning a mini adventure for my brother. He is going to play a Sullustan Engineer and for that he is requesting some engineer based scenarios. I ran across the titled Raen Sovra, the electrocution worm, in Creatures of the Galaxy pg. 57.

I think the background will be that the PC is a engineer on a Correlian Corvette. During Hyperspace, alarms will go off. Upon investigation, the PC will discover an electrocuted person. At this point, Im not sure as to whether the person just tried to steal the worm or was an Imperial agent and tried to plant the worm as sabotage. Either way the PC needs to find the worm and stop it before it gets to the Hyperdrive or if it does, it can short out the engine and the ship could wreck do to the sudden shift into real space.

I would love to hear any comments or questions. or advice on it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome to the Pit.

As far as official ways to make engineering a more playable skill, Cracken's Rebel Field Guide includes the rules for Jury Rigging.

Here on the Pit, we have also discussed using Technical skills for sabotage, damage control, and ways to boost practical skills with Knowledge skill rolls.

These are all potential ways in which a Tech-oriented character could make himself more useful in a game.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, contrary to some other roleplaying games, Star Wars is mostly played as a Space Opera game - a descendant of the pulp genre.

That means that one has a passing nod to 'realism' - for a certain degree of realism where giant space slugs lie in wait in asteroid belts - but you don't let that get in the way of a good story.

The player should always be looking for ways to use the player character's engineering skills and background, and as long as the suggestions are plausible, the GM should likely allow a roll - or, under some circumstances, perhaps allow an automatic success, obviating the need for any roll.

For instance, an engineer specializing in engines or hyperdrives come across parts for a hyperdrive and asks "is it a SoroSuub?" The answer isn't necessarily "make a TEC: Space Transports Repair roll", it might be, "You're a Sullustan engineer - you can authoratively say this is a SoroSuub product".
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
First off, welcome to the Pit.

As far as official ways to make engineering a more playable skill, Cracken's Rebel Field Guide includes the rules for Jury Rigging.

Here on the Pit, we have also discussed using Technical skills for sabotage, damage control, and ways to boost practical skills with Knowledge skill rolls.

These are all potential ways in which a Tech-oriented character could make himself more useful in a game.

Thanks for the welcome. (I've been a long time lurker-time to join). Its actually a nice change to find a challenge for engineer skills. He does however have other skills too.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Challenges I'm thinking of.

1) Alien Species role to know that it is the work of Raen Sovra. Based on his background he will have a bonus of +10

2) Figure out where it is heading and fastest way to get there.

3) Along the way a closed hatch so he must either jury-rig to open it or by pass it.

4) Trap and kill the thing.

I wouldn't mind another obstacle or two for point 3. So any ideas would help. : )

Just thought of maybe a manual override of some sort, for a power coupling?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the ship breaks down all the time and he needs to fix it constantly (ala Star Trek). He could be the Scotty in a different setting.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this plotline a lot, and in my mind I see it a lot like the original movie Alien from 1979.

He could totally chase the thing around the engineering spaces in the ship, and it could kill the crew one by one! The chance for some physical battle might take place, or he could use his engineering skills to build shields, bombs, whatever. As long as there are parts around, this scenario is limitless. You could stretch it easily to 3-4 hours or even two sessions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: